Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5100/6100 Surface durability -  (Read 1939 times)

ChrisImages

IPF5100/6100 Surface durability -
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:33:53 pm »

Hi,
As I know there are very few out in the wild at this point, Scott at On-Sight was nice enough to share some thoughts with me; but I wanted pose the question to a larger audiance.
As a Fine Art Photographer I'm looking forward to the capabilities of the 5100.
But, I'm going to be sharing it with a Portrait/Seniors Photographer.  He's currently using a Epson R800 w/Epson Photo Luster paper for his wallet size photo production, and is very happy with the durability of those - The R800/1800 has GO.  And I have used Epson PL on a 2200 for wallet size - never had any complaints about durability.

For those of you that may have experiance with any of these combinations, how might I expect the durability of the 5100 inkset on Epson PL to compare ( without an overspray coating). Or is there a more durable Luster finish paper I may want to look at, that may equal the R800 durability - if that's possable without and Overspray ?
Thanks,
bcf

Brian in
Michigan

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 09:52:18 pm »

I would suggest a dye-sub for the wallet prints.  In terms of durability no ink jet print comes close since there is a laminated clear layer on top of the print.   Absolutely smudge proof from the second it leaves the printer.

Personally I have a mitsubishi dye-sub that I use for event printing and though expensive it is top notch.  Sony makes a similar unit and Kodak or Hiti make cheaper ones.   Note that with a dye sub you are buying a system -- printer, paper, and ribbons all usually come from the same manufacturer and the exact price per print though possibly higher is known in advance.   Also you can print smaller sizes that are a pain (or impossible) to print on a wide carraige.  Look at the minimum print size for the 5100.

Not the answer you were looking for but it might be something for your business partner to look in to.  

Doug
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:56:20 pm by DougMorgan »

ChrisImages

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 10:22:50 pm »

I would suggest a dye-sub for the wallet prints.  In terms of durability no ink jet print comes close since there is a laminated clear layer on top of the print.   Absolutely smudge proof from the second it leaves the printer.

Personally I have a mitsubishi dye-sub that I use for event printing and though expensive it is top notch.  Sony makes a similar unit and Kodak or Hiti make cheaper ones.   Note that with a dye sub you are buying a system -- printer, paper, and ribbons all usually come from the same manufacturer and the exact price per print though possibly higher is known in advance.   Also you can print smaller sizes that are a pain (or impossible) to print on a wide carraige.  Look at the minimum print size for the 5100.

Not the answer you were looking for but it might be something for your business partner to look in to. 

Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the thoughts Doug.  I did have a Kodak 8500 for a while, worked well for event stuff.  But I moved in the Fine Art direction.
Printing onto 8 1/2 x 11's works out fine as he knocks the small pictures out very quickly with a rounded corners die cutter.
I am getting a 5100, we're just trying to get a feel for what to expect (maybe a few papers to try). If we can't find a paper/ink combo that we're comfortable with, I'm sure he'll continue to use the R800 for a while.
Thanks again,
bcf
Pages: [1]   Go Up