Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to find PhillipsNatural Light+ track lights?  (Read 19364 times)

ternst

Where to find PhillipsNatural Light+ track lights?
« on: September 25, 2007, 04:43:10 pm »

I've searched the web over and cannot locate a source for natural color track lights for use in a small gallery. I'm using the info from MR's gallery discussion - Phillips Natural Light Plus bulbs. I have the model # and other info from the Phillips web site, but can't locate anything with those numbers or the name "Natural Light Plus." I don't live near a big city so am unable to shop in person. Does anyone have a source for these? Any info would be most appreciated.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
http://www.cloudland.net

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:59:11 pm »

Tim,

Have you considered Solux lighting?  I use their track light system.
Regards,
Ron

Osequis

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:59:31 pm »

Hi, I'm just ordered this kit from Solux for my color proofing studio...

https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/colo...tml?id=L4b44eDE

This company is a reputable "natural light" source, and you can order online   check their website, they offer several options that probably will fit your gallery needs.

Hope this helps

ternst

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:23:05 pm »

Thanks for the info guys but I was looking for the larger fixtures and bulbs - and goodness those solex items are up to 5x times the cost - even the bare track is 2x. Still, I wonder how much light those little bulbs put out - I have tall ceilings and very large prints and the bulbs will be a good distance above the prints. I do like their selection of different light temps.

Alaska

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 04:09:59 am »

and goodness those solex items are up to 5x times the cost
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Solux bulbs seems to be in the range of eight bucks each.  

Wanted to give them a try, but they would not budge from using UPS as their standard shipper.  Seems that shipping to Alaska would have been about 32 dollars for four bulbs.  i.e double the cost.  They could ship USPS but have a extra charge of 50 dollars for that option.  Gee, USPS even has in office pickup and email postage.

Thus no business from Alaska for their products.  Most unreasonable shipping to say the least and do not appreciate being taken to the cleaners.........

Jim

Woodcorner

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:41 am »

Does anyone know wether 'Phillips Natural Light Plus' bulbs are available in Europe (230 V) and what they are called over here? I would like to compare them to the SoLux bulbs I am currently using.

Thanks

Andrew

ternst

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 07:21:57 am »

Jim:

I was talking about the track and fixtures - way over the top of all others I have looked into (fixtures $30 vs. $8, track $40 vs. $20, the 50w black/black bulbs are $15 vs $8 - I'll be putting up about 100' of track). I'm still trying to find out if their little 50 watt bulbs would be enough light to cover a larger print from a distance like the much larger and 75 watt par 30 bulbs. Also still trying to find a source for the Phillips Natural Light Plus if anyone knows where they can be found. Thanks!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:48:04 am »

I've searched the web over and cannot locate a source for natural color track lights for use in a small gallery. I'm using the info from MR's gallery discussion - Phillips Natural Light Plus bulbs. I have the model # and other info from the Phillips web site, but can't locate anything with those numbers or the name "Natural Light Plus." I don't live near a big city so am unable to shop in person. Does anyone have a source for these? Any info would be most appreciated.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
http://www.cloudland.net
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phi-l-ips got a license from Solux to produce similar lamps for the European market. The Diamondline Pro range. To me an indication that the Solux technology is sound.

At the bottom of this page is the spectral distribution of the Solux. There's also the Philips 950 fluorescent's chart that is considered to be good but not in the same class as the continuous Solux curve.

[a href=\"http://www.pixelpad.nl/downloaden/lichtbronnen.pdf]http://www.pixelpad.nl/downloaden/lichtbronnen.pdf[/url]

I think the lamps you are looking for are available in Wal-Mart etc.

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

ternst

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 09:46:54 am »

I've been to Wal Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc., but nothing that says anything like Natural Light Plus or with the correct product numbers. I'm beginning to lean towards the solux lights now, especially since there seems to be a supply issue with the Phillips...

ternst

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:54 am »

Speaking of the solux, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about the color temp of what should be used for color proofing. Some say use 3500 for gallery display but use 4700 for color proofing, others say use 3500 for both, but then it is impossible to calibrate the monitor for this. I just had a discussion with the guy from solux and he said the same thing. This seems to be part of a larger question of printing for a known light source and then having the print displayed elsewhere. But if the known lightsource is a gallery-standard 3500k, then why proof to a 4700k or 5000k light source? It does not make any sense.

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »

Speaking of the solux, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about the color temp of what should be used for color proofing. Some say use 3500 for gallery display but use 4700 for color proofing, others say use 3500 for both, but then it is impossible to calibrate the monitor for this. I just had a discussion with the guy from solux and he said the same thing. This seems to be part of a larger question of printing for a known light source and then having the print displayed elsewhere. But if the known lightsource is a gallery-standard 3500k, then why proof to a 4700k or 5000k light source? It does not make any sense.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What are galleries using to get 3500K? My understanding, such as it is, is that incandescents top out somewhere in the mid to upper 2000K range. Standard quartz halogens top out in the upper 2000K range. At least that's what I find when I search around looking for stuff on the web, find in spec. sheets, and find on the packaging. The only thing I've found in the 3000s are various fluorescents, and I've never found a gallery running fluorescents.

So what are galleries using to get to 3500K?
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

ternst

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 12:44:07 pm »

Well, if you believe solux, lots of galleries are using the solux bulbs, which you can get at 3500, 4100, 4700, and 5000 - these are the smaller bulbs, 50w. Since I'm unable to test this stuff myself in short order I have to believe what I read here or hear from others, like solux.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 01:26:36 pm »

Well, if you believe solux, lots of galleries are using the solux bulbs, which you can get at 3500, 4100, 4700, and 5000 - these are the smaller bulbs, 50w. Since I'm unable to test this stuff myself in short order I have to believe what I read here or hear from others, like solux.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks to Andrew Rodney and Ernst Dinkla who showed me spectro results of the Solux lights I now have the Solux "Color Proofing Light Kit".  Yes, Andrew, I ditched the Ott Lights.  I chose the 4700K.  I wanted to proof for daylight.  I do know local galleries using the Solux 3500K lighting but their decision was based on the belief that they sell more when things look warmer in the gallery.  I prefer to proof based on daylight and guide customers to have good light for my prints.  

YMMV and I'm sure others have a different approach.
Regards,
Ron

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »

I've been to Wal Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc., but nothing that says anything like Natural Light Plus or with the correct product numbers.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If one must use flourscents, I have been surprisingly happy with the affordable "Phillips Natural Daylight 91 CRI" bulbs. They also have a "Phillips Natural Daylight 86 CRI" that looks terrible. I know 91 CRI doesn't sound like much but real world careful examination shows very few differences between it, daylight and solux. Not bad for a $3 florescent. I still prefer Solux over any flourscents. Like yourself, I don't know where to send people for mail ordering. Many places that carry them aren't willing to ship them due to complications with breakage.

Speaking of the solux, there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about the color temp of what should be used for color proofing. Some say use 3500 for gallery display but use 4700 for color proofing...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I personally feel that 4100 is the happy medium between the overly warm incandescent and overly cool 5000K+ lighting that dominates our industry. Color temp has a psychological impact that can range from "Ohh this is so warm - I feel comfortable and sleepy" to "this light is so cold I feel like I am in a sterile hospital." 4100K is a color temp that you are less likely to have either reaction to. I feel that there is way too much discussion of color temp and not enough discussion of CRI. In the end, it's CRI that is important and Solux delivers.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

ternst

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:47 pm »

One of my main concerns about all of this to me is the brightness of the bulbs - are the small 50w solux bulbs bright enough to light a 40 x60 print from a 10' tall ceiling properly? I don't want to have to use two bulbs per print. By getting their wider beams the coverage will be plenty, I just don't know if there is enough power in the bulbs - anyone have thoughts on that? I don't have much experience in gallery lighting, but need to get something right the first time via mail order as I don't have any way to see any of this in person. Thanks for all the discussion so far...

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 02:28:55 pm »

are the small 50w solux bulbs bright enough to light a 40 x60 print from a 10' tall ceiling properly? [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
How far away is the light on the ceiling form the wall?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

ternst

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 03:32:32 pm »

The lights will probably be 3'-4' feet out from the wall - enough to light the print evenly without any glare, although most of these will be canvas prints so glare is not much of an issue. I haven't actually measured, but perhaps 5'-6' feet away from the center of the print? I'm still putting all of this together.

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 03:39:24 pm »

I'm using the Solux Bulbs in an inexpensive track I got at Home depot. Works great.

My ceiling height is 8', about 3' off the wall. I think 10' high would still give you enough light.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

ternst

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »

Thanks, Mark. Are you using the solux fixtures too, or just the bulbs? I suspect they are the same, although since each fixture has its own transformer there might be some quality issues. The track would be the same no matter. And are you using the 35w or 50w bulbs? Thanks...

richs

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 04:24:58 pm »

I still prefer Solux over any flourscents. Like yourself, I don't know where to send people for mail ordering. Many places that carry them aren't willing to ship them due to complications with breakage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have found B&H Photo to be good, if a little more expensive than others have mentioned.

Regards,

Richard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up