Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backlight, Contrast, Composition and Color....  (Read 4592 times)

Buddy Thomason

Backlight, Contrast, Composition and Color....
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:44:37 pm »

are among the challenges here.  

This was my thinking:
The horizon line formed by the trees had to be dealt with from the beginning of post-processing this image as it would inevitably become the point of greatest contrast. As such, the viewer's eye is likely to go there first.  

Then what?  If I preserve and/or enhance the foreground too much the viewer's eye might have difficulty being pulled above to the sky or below to the foreground.  

Since I prefer the viewer's eye go directly to the tree line/sky interface and then directly up and around the sky, I elected to leave the foreground dark.  I incorporated a gradient allowing a bit of foreground detail below so the viewer's eye has someplace else to discover after taking in the sky.  

Regarding composition, I could see cropping a bit more off the left side and the bottom.

Regarding color,  I darkened the sky a bit and enhanced both contrast and saturation.  Still, it is substantially similar to the actual scene as I saw it.  Have I pushed the sky beyond the edge of believability?  I'd prefer to be right at that line but not over.  

I'd appreciate the benefit of other eyes.  Thanks in advance for posting your observations and suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:45:45 pm by Buddy Thomason »

sinc

• http://pbase.com/sinc
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:36:13 pm »

Nice photo.
Joseph T. Sinclair, Author

kal

• http://fotonordest.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 03:55:47 am »

Regarding composition, I could see cropping a bit more off the left side and the bottom.

Regarding color,  I darkened the sky a bit and enhanced both contrast and saturation.  Still, it is substantially similar to the actual scene as I saw it.  Have I pushed the sky beyond the edge of believability?  I'd prefer to be right at that line but not over. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would crop at least half of the black area from the bottom and, since it is almost black, let's make it pitch black. Regarding the sky, I find the blue in the upper left corner a bit unnatural, and the top right corner a bit too dark. Also the yellows in the bottom left are blown out. All of this however looking at your image on a really bad display...
Piero
[url=http://fotonordest.blogspot.c

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:56 am »

The sky looks great.  But, I think the sky is just very slightly overdone...mostly where it gets bright yellow.  

As for the silhouette trees, I think it is a bit boring in this case.  I like the outline of the trees, and the cropping that Kal did is an improvement, but I would like to see a bit of dark detail in the foreground.  When you have a silhouette that bisects the image, the subject matter is that line.  So, the tension or interest is focused in one area in the center of the image.  All of the area above and below is kind of wasted.  In my opinion, silhouettes that really work have more negative space in and around the silhouette (like seeing tree trunks silhouetted against a sky).  If you were going to stick with this version, I might try cropping like Kal did, or even more, and possibly straightening the line of trees so that the silhouette only takes the very bottom of the image and allows the viewer to focus on that FANTASTIC sky.

How about this crop[attachment=3414:attachment]

Even as I look at the crop, I realize that the left half of the silhouette of the trees is kind of boring. hmmm...what to do?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 10:22:48 am by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

I CHNGE

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:22 am »

Nice work...

I.M.H.O. too much of the "non-firery" sky takes away from that which is...and the treeline should give perspective...not a second focal point...

Just my 0.02  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

Buddy Thomason

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:40:59 am »

and the treeline should give perspective...not a second focal point...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is an excellent point.  Thanks for all the good feedback folks.  I'll rework the image and re-post in case anyone is interested in commenting.  Much obliged.

Buddy Thomason

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:53:04 am »

When you have a silhouette that bisects the image, the subject matter is that line.  So, the tension or interest is focused in one area in the center of the image.  All of the area above and below is kind of wasted.  In my opinion, silhouettes that really work have more negative space in and around the silhouette.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I follow, and it makes sense, if I understand you, to make more negative space in and around the silhouette with cropping and revealing detail in the foreground.  I'd like to give that a try and re-post.  Thanks.

Buddy Thomason

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:16:32 pm »

Here's a re-work of the image in question.  Would appreciate your thoughts and observations.  Thanks!

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:43:20 pm »

I think that is a much better image.  The dark detail in the foreground give the viewer a context that draws you into the image.  The image still lacks a strong focal point, but as it is shown here, there is more to interest the viewer.  I think this change brings this image along about as far as it can go.  It is an image to be proud of.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up