Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Margins on custom paper sizes with Epson R2400  (Read 9686 times)

switters

Margins on custom paper sizes with Epson R2400
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:05:18 am »

Thanks again in advance for helping me on my continuing quest to get accustomed to my new R2400.

I'm trying to print on Moab 7x10 prescored cards.  I am now having success loading them into the printer via the Manual Roll feeder.  However, I'm having trouble centering the print on the card.

I suspect this has something to do with setting the margins for a custom paper size.  As instructed by someone in a previous thread, I set the margins to .13 on the left, right and top, and .26 on the bottom.

However, on the print, the margins appear to be .13 on the top, right, and BOTTOM, and .26 on the LEFT.  

How do I successfully center a print on a custom size sheet?  What is the proper setting for margins?

cethert

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:06:38 pm »

Just purchased this lovely little printer myself, and encountered the same problem 2 weeks ago.  Pored through all the Epson stuff to no avail . . . searched the web to no avail.  

With my usual stubborn determination, here's the solution - you have to create a custom size in your printer setup to accomodate the 7x10 size of your card:

In the R2400 print menu, under the Paper Options, select the type of paper you're going to use, and then select User Defined under Size; this will take you to another setup box
Give your paper size a name (I use 7x10), set up the measurements, click SAVE and then OK

When you go to the Print with Preview in Photoshop (I use CS2) - select the page setup button on the right and you'll see your custom size.  You're ready to go through the rest of the print setup.

Enjoy!  The Red River paper makes gorgeous cards!
C

switters

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:27:07 pm »

Just purchased this lovely little printer myself, and encountered the same problem 2 weeks ago.  Pored through all the Epson stuff to no avail . . . searched the web to no avail. 

With my usual stubborn determination, here's the solution - you have to create a custom size in your printer setup to accomodate the 7x10 size of your card:

In the R2400 print menu, under the Paper Options, select the type of paper you're going to use, and then select User Defined under Size; this will take you to another setup box
Give your paper size a name (I use 7x10), set up the measurements, click SAVE and then OK

When you go to the Print with Preview in Photoshop (I use CS2) - select the page setup button on the right and you'll see your custom size.  You're ready to go through the rest of the print setup.

Enjoy!  The Red River paper makes gorgeous cards!
C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your reply.  I did define a custom paper size, but the issue was related to what to set the margins to and how to center the image on the front panel of the card.  Is that working for you?

cethert

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:44:12 pm »

Working like a charm - I have 2 different sizes of the Red River card stock and they both work beautifully.
C

switters

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:58:31 am »

Working like a charm - I have 2 different sizes of the Red River card stock and they both work beautifully.
C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you have to set specific margins in the custom sizes dialog box?  Many others have said this is necessary in order to get the print to center on the card panel.  What has your experience been?  Obviously borderless printing isn't possible with custom paper sizes, so there needs to be some way of controlling the alignment of the image on the card.

PeterTinson

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:28:31 am »

Setting up custom paper size is slightly different between MAC's and PC's.
On the PC there isnt a means of setting the margins it is only on the MAC.
Try setting the margin the same all the way round or all to zero.
Also if using Photoshop CS3 their is issues with centering as the application dosent communicate properly with the driver (dosent set the center in the driver when centered checked in PS print dialogue).
Peter
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:29:25 am by PeterTinson »
PeterT

switters

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 08:52:50 pm »

Setting up custom paper size is slightly different between MAC's and PC's.
On the PC there isnt a means of setting the margins it is only on the MAC.
Try setting the margin the same all the way round or all to zero.
Also if using Photoshop CS3 their is issues with centering as the application dosent communicate properly with the driver (dosent set the center in the driver when centered checked in PS print dialogue).
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter,

So have you found a workaround or solution to this issue?  

Chris

PeterTinson

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:17:18 am »

On the Mac in the page setup of Photoshop's print dialogue, set your size and set the margins to 0.3 cm (0.12 inch) for left and right and 1.4 cm (0.55 inches) for top and bottom. In Photoshops preview window you will see the margins are displayed as grey. Also after setting up your page size you can get an indication of layout using the old method of clicking and holding your mouse pointer over the document size at the bottom of the image, this will showin diagramatic form the paper size with the margins in dark grey, the printable area in white with your image outline with diagonals.
I hope this helps.
PeterT

Sharpie

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »

Hello,

I have been reading the trail on using custom paper sizes for the Epson R2400 and have found the information extremely useful and extremely frustrating at the same time. I am very pleased with this pronter and believe it gives excellent results once you have worked out what on earth you are supposed to do.

I want to set a custom paper size as I want to use Super A3 paper cut in half. I know that the trail earlier says that you need to define a new paper size in the Paper Options in the Print Menu but I am ashamed to say that I can't find the print menu!!

I use CS2 but I get the impression that I need to be looking in the R2400 program and not in CS2. If I look in the Epson Program I have Darkroom, Creativity Suite etc but none of them seem to have paper settings which you can define.

If possible would someone be able to give me an idiot's guide to finding the settings I need as I am going mad trying to find it at the moment

Many thanks....

PeterTinson

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:49 am »

Custom page setup is different between Windows and Mac.
With windows you need to go into the drivers Printing Preferences and from the dropdown for the paper size at the bottom is "User Define".
With the Mac when you go to page setup you have "Manage Custom pages".
Peter
PeterT

Sharpie

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:06 am »

Hello,

Many thanks for the reply - I hadn't picked up on the fact that the previous info related to a Mac and not a PC.

I do use Windows which I should have pointed out. I am still struggling finding the right place to set a custom page size. It might be easier if I go through the steps that I am taking so that you can see where I am going wrong or whiat I am missing out.

My objective is to use paper which is 329mm x 240mm. I am using windows XP and CS2.

In CS2 I select Print with Preview and then Page Setup. I then select 'User Defined' from the size option. Source is 'Sheet' which I don't change. Click OK.

I then click 'Print' which takes me to the Epson Print dialogue box. I select Properties. The info in the box is as follows:

Source = Sheet
Type = ..... (whatever)
Size = User Defined

I have Print Preview selected. I click OK and then OK again which takes me to the Print Preview screen. At no point do I get the option of putting in the size of paper I want to use.

I believe that there is a step that I am missing which is adding a new paper size into the drop down list of paper sizes that I can select from so that I don't have to select the 'User Defined' option but I really can't work out how to do this.

Apologise for being slow on the uptake here but I am not overly computer literate so most new things are a bit of a struggle. If you would be able to to give me a few more pointers I would be really grateful.

Many thanks

PS - I have played with this further and spotted your reference to print drivers - I have gone into the pronter through the Control Panel and I think I have worked out how to set a new paper config.

Please ignore all of the above - I will have a go now and see how this all works

Many Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:45:04 am by Sharpie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up