Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hands-on Report on Hasselblad H3D-II  (Read 26333 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Hands-on Report on Hasselblad H3D-II
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 11:15:43 pm »

Steve

Thanks for the overview from last weeks event.

One thing that I haven't noticed mentioned anywhere is whether Hasselblad
brought forward any potential solutions or products in developpment that addressed
many MFDB users need for simple,compact tilt/shift corrections.

i.e.,any tilt/shirt lenses in the pipeline

Thanks,
Mark

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 10:20:08 am »

Steve

Thanks for the overview from last weeks event.

One thing that I haven't noticed mentioned anywhere is whether Hasselblad
brought forward any potential solutions or products in developpment that addressed
many MFDB users need for simple,compact tilt/shift corrections.

i.e.,any tilt/shirt lenses in the pipeline

Thanks,
Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark:

I do have some information there, but all I could say at this time would be that it has been rumored and assumed that Hasselblad is attempting tilt/shift lens solutions, and it is quite possible we could see a product at some point, but at this stage - if the rumors were true - then that project would be considered still under development.

Couchy enough? At any rate, no announcement yet.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 04:19:06 pm »

Fair enough.  Thanks

pixelpro

• http://
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2007, 04:51:48 pm »

Photomangreg says "you're too lazy to bring along a laptop"

I also don't understand what the fuss is about a 3" LCD screen on the H3DII. Firstly the laptop is essential to see the image properly. You see nothing on the tiny LCD screen. Its only good enough to see the histogram. In practical terms the size of the LCD screen is not material.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:53:28 pm by pixelpro »

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2007, 05:12:04 pm »

Photomangreg says "you're too lazy to bring along a laptop"

I also don't understand what the fuss is about a 3" LCD screen on the H3DII. Firstly the laptop is essential to see the image properly. You see nothing on the tiny LCD screen. Its only good enough to see the histogram. In practical terms the size of the LCD screen is not material.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

some of us shoot untethered, and humans. We try to avoid spending time looking at a laptop.
if you've used a DSLR and seen the screen before then you can't live without a good screen after that.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2007, 07:21:09 pm »

some of us shoot untethered, and humans. We try to avoid spending time looking at a laptop.
if you've used a DSLR and seen the screen before then you can't live without a good screen after that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you can tell just as much from a crappy 2 or 3" (i agree, makes no difference, but if someone held a gun to my head i would take the 3":) ) screen then from a DSLR screen....the DSLR screen looks better, the files are more limited.....there is just no way that a screen that fits on a DMFB can show the subtelties the back can produce...heck my MBP screen can't show them....that is the whole point...
but i agree in general that all DMFBs should have a 5" OLED on the back....

the leaf valeo  solution i had with the bluetooth ipaq was actually pretty good...people love to hold the ipaq and see the previews come in...it was the closest thing to a polaroid and still a lot easier to manuveur then a laptop or imac.....of course there were some connection problems from time to time, but all in all it was a nifty little solution....

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2007, 09:13:55 am »

.....there is just no way that a screen that fits on a DMFB can show the subtelties the back can produce...heck my MBP screen can't show them....that is the whole point...
but i agree in general that all DMFBs should have a 5" OLED on the back....
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll gladly settle for the 11" OLED LCD on the back of the next generation MFDB.

[a href=\"http://tinyurl.com/3xapp2]http://tinyurl.com/3xapp2[/url]

Seriously, what I'd love to see would be a refined version of that IPaq approach, where the unit would be like a tablet, and it would run on its own rechargeable battery, and there would be maybe a six foot (extendable) cable that would connect the tablet to the back, similar to the VideoOut function of the Canon.

Yes, for many paying jobs, no doubt you'd bring a laptop or an Imac. But on some personal work, with no client present, you still might want to go out far less emcumbered, with much more freedom. But even then, I could see the need to really SEE what you're shooting. I'd gladly pay an additional five or six grand for this tablet unit. It would be small enough to be stored right inside the camera bag, instead of requiring a whole other Pelican case to be checked on the plane, like the laptop and related cables do.

I'm not a software guy, and I have no idea how large the Preview file would have to be, to show detail. I'm assuming about 900 pixels by 600 pixels at 72dpi, roughly, if it was a JPG document. What I also like is that the same company would make both units -- the back and the tablet -- so it could be thoroughly tested, instead of, say, Phase making the back, but Apple making the laptop, and then when something goes haywire, you don't know who's at fault. If Phase made both the back and the tablet, the testing could be done by one company.

I just know, in my line of work, there are MANY times when you're out on location, on a rocky mountain or something, and the last thing you want to do is drag around a laptop and Honda generator.

Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:59:37 pm by Mark_Tucker »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2007, 02:12:21 pm »

I'll gladly settle for the 11" OLED LCD on the back of the next generation MFDB.

http://tinyurl.com/3xapp2

Seriously, what I'd love to see would be a refined version of that IPaq approach, where the unit would be like a tablet, and it would run on its own rechargeable battery, and there would be maybe a six foot (extendable) cable that would connect the tablet to the back, similar to the VideoOut function of the Canon.

Yes, for many paying jobs, no doubt you'd bring a laptop or an Imac. But on some personal work, with no client present, you still might want to go out far less emcumbered, with much more freedom. But even then, I could see the need to really SEE what you're shooting. I'd gladly pay an additional five or six grand for this tablet unit. It would be small enough to be stored right inside the camera bag, instead of requiring a whole other Pelican case to be checked on the plane, like the laptop and related cables do.

I'm not a software guy, and I have no idea how large the Preview file would have to be, to show detail. I'm assuming about 900 pixels by 600 pixels at 72dpi, roughly, if it was a JPG document. What I also like is that the same company would make both units -- the back and the tablet -- so it could be thoroughly tested, instead of, say, Phase making the back, but Apple making the laptop, and then when something goes haywire, you don't know who's at fault. If Phase made both the back and the tablet, the testing could be done by one company.

I just know, in my line of work, there are MANY times when you're out on location, on a rocky mountain or something, and the last thing you want to do is drag around a laptop and Honda generator.

Just a suggestion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I dont know even if you need 11 inch screen

depend if you are checking sharpness or composition

software analysis of the image could

show the whole image and zoom into the sharp bit

so you would get the image then a sort of slide show of bits of it

with a D3 standard screen just half an inch bigger than the 'back would be cool

It could even be mounted with a small airgap to cut the mythical 'screen heat equals noise' mostly from the equation

Oh and a small sensor would turn it off as you moved your eye to the eyepeice unless live view was being used

S
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:13:22 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

BJNY

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2007, 02:56:29 pm »

Taking it a few steps forward, the screen should be like the ones in camcorders, able to be flipped out and twistable.  That would be incredibly useful for low camera angle situations, and for another party to be monitoring the captures.

Credit: I believe I first heard this idea from my friend, George F.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:03:11 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

josayeruk

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 02:59:37 pm »

Oh and a small sensor would turn it off as you moved your eye to the eyepeice unless live view was being used

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you use an H2D/H3D bringing the camera back up to your eye and half pressing the shutter kills the display so it is not shining bright in your face.    

Jo S.x

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 05:44:19 pm »

Perhaps Sinar could bring back the CyberKit! http://www.matrix.cz/profifoto/PDFS/sinar_sinarback44.pdf

Cheers,
Kumar

amband

Re: Hands-on Report on Hasselblad H3D-II
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

it could be the Hasselblad is not the camera it used to be.  Pentax 645D and the Mamiya a fine cameras.

Maybe Hasselblad survives on it's name?

fredjeang

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »

I am very happy to see here Mark Tucker. He has been a strong influence in my work and still is.

Well, I was reading the all thread and it's been a long time now we, and we in all the world's forums, are asking for this mystical magical lcd.

But my question is, why MF makers would take the lcd seriously if their design is based on tether? (I hate tether).
Whatever tablets or computers, if we are "obliged" to tether or let's say gently invited to, and I wish we where not, what the lcd will bring? To be able to show the shot to the AD?
But the AD is already busy with the screen or the new gadgets, so LCD if the goal is to be free of devices I aplaude.

By the way, the Pentax 645D who has a decent lcd did not even took any interest for tether according to the infos here. To me, it is also a mistake. We should be able to choose the configuration and not obliged to.

Sorry...invited to...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:03:41 pm by fredjeang »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:17 pm »

I too am very happy to see Mark here under his full name. I learnt a lot from his RG posts.

Now, concerning LCDs etc, you know, I wonder whether big LCDs are really so necessary for *the photographer*. Yes, they allow one to see the shot. But maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be seeing the shot, because once you've seen the shot you've killed the shot. I'm not sure I'm making sense here, so let me try again: A few years ago I suddenly realized I had mastered the technique of photography, within the limits of my boring imagination. I would have an idea, and I could go home, choose my gear, make the shot, and it would look like what I imagined. I really really hated that.

Edmund

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Nick-T

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 08:03:19 pm »

Ahh 2007..

Nice to see Steve singing the praises of Hasselblad :D
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up