Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long exposure with AFDII  (Read 2995 times)

jpjespersen

Long exposure with AFDII
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:01:32 am »

I was wondering if the Mamiya AFDII is capable of exposure times longer than 30 seconds.  Is there a bulb exposure mode on this camera.
Thanks,
JP Jespersen
http://www.ImageOfNight.com

Mike W

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:44:24 am »

I think this is what you're looking for (from mamiya.com)

(T) Time Mode
This is a mechanically controlled mode for long exposures. It consumes no battery power.

I think it's the same as the Bulb-setting on other camera's.  But I'm not sure, lots of mamiya users on this forum, they'll reply soon :-)

I took a look on your website, amazing stuff.

Could you tell us a bit about your technique and gear? I love the fact that it's night photography, but the image seems day....it's almost surreal in a way. :-)

Why the intrest in MF?

regards

Mike

ternst

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:54:54 am »

Yes, the bulb works just like on any other camera - the shutter will remain open as long as the shutter is being held down. If you are shooting digitally you will be limited by the back - I've shot up to 30 minutes with a phase one p-45 but their plus backs claim up to one hour exposure possible, however a rep from the company is now stating that the ambient temp must be below a certain mark before you can go that long (if this is true phase one would be guilty of false advertising, not surprising)...

Mike W

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:02:10 am »

Hey ternst,

How about battery life when shooting such long exposures?
How many exposures can you get on a single charge?

jpjespersen

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:01:22 am »

I think this is what you're looking for (from mamiya.com)

(T) Time Mode
This is a mechanically controlled mode for long exposures. It consumes no battery power.

I think it's the same as the Bulb-setting on other camera's.  But I'm not sure, lots of mamiya users on this forum, they'll reply soon :-)

I took a look on your website, amazing stuff.

Could you tell us a bit about your technique and gear? I love the fact that it's night photography, but the image seems day....it's almost surreal in a way. :-)

Why the intrest in MF?

regards

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks people.  This is what I needed to know.  Sounds like it operates the same as my RZ.  I was worried about it being electronic but it is nice to hear that it is mechanical.

About my work and gear.  I almost always shoot under a full moon, long exposures.  Night gallery one is all large and medium format film- RZ67 and Wista 45rf View camera.  Night Gallery 2 is all digital, Nikon D2X.  I just purchased a P45+ and am planning on using it on my 4x5 for the time being.  I am just trying to decide if I want to purchase a Mamiya AFDII for when I shoot in crappy weather and such- for the fast setup and easy to cover with a bag.  The new 28mm seems appealing until I saw the price.  At that price I might as well by a Silvestri or WideDX with a Schnieder lens.

Thanks again.
JP Jespersen

jpjespersen

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:03:42 am »

Hey ternst,

How about battery life when shooting such long exposures?
How many exposures can you get on a single charge?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My D2X can go for a few nights shooting for hours.  Maybe anywhere from 2-4 hours of combined open shutter plus noise processing after-words but this is a total guess.  I do have a couple of batteries and charger in my car.  I would guess that if need you could do a 4 hour exposure with 4 hours of processing, but again this is a total guess.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:05:02 am by jpjespersen »

ternst

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 04:48:24 pm »

Mike:

I don't know if you were asking about battery life of the camera or of the back - the camera will last a long time. You can probably get a couple of exposures per battery out of the back - remember it has to take a second dark slide exposure for each long exposure, so a 30 minute exposure is really an hour exposure on the back and the back battery. I have not done an hour exposure yet but I imagine the battery would last that long, so you would probably be able to get one exposure per battery - I hear the plus backs eat up a lot more juice...

Mike W

Long exposure with AFDII
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:59:15 am »

@Ternst

I meant the backs battery life. Thanks for clearing that up.
It seems long exposures would be limited by the backs battery-life. I'm guessing 4 long exposures per charge? Sound about right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up