Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: r2400 & Velvet Fine Art problem  (Read 2023 times)

switters

r2400 & Velvet Fine Art problem
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:41:32 pm »

I recently bought an Epson R2400 after a long period of deliberation.  The first print I made was in color on Photo Rag, and I was completely blown away.  I had never seen any high end digital prints prior to buying the 2400, and I had no idea I would be so impressed.

I had a stack of Velvet Fine Art paper on hand and decided to try a few prints on that.  However, in both cases the results were unexpected.  The print looks almost like a watercolor painting; the detail is very poor, colors are blocked up and the out of focus areas look as if the "paint daubs" filter was applied in Photoshop.

I can't imagine this is what prints are "supposed" to look like on VFA - people rave about it and I've never heard anything like this in regard to the paper.  However, I've double and triple checked my settings and they seem to be correct.  (Paper: Velvet Fine Art; ICC: Velvet Fine Art Best Photo.icc, Perceptual, No color management)

Prints on Photo Rag, William Turner, Premier Platinum Rag, etc. look fantastic.

Any ideas?

Pete Berry

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:51:03 pm »

I had a stack of Velvet Fine Art paper on hand and decided to try a few prints on that.  However, in both cases the results were unexpected.  The print looks almost like a watercolor painting; the detail is very poor, colors are blocked up and the out of focus areas look as if the "paint daubs" filter was applied in Photoshop.

Any ideas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sounds pretty typical of printing on the backside of the paper. Give it the wet finger test - the coated side should be a bit sticky.

Pete

switters

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:50:19 am »

This sounds pretty typical of printing on the backside of the paper. Give it the wet finger test - the coated side should be a bit sticky.

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did as you suggested and I'm virtually certain I'm printing on the correct side of the paper.  When I open the package, the side that is face up underneath the instructions is the side I'm printing on.  That side is sticky when I do the "wet finger test".

Any other possibilities?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:09:12 pm »

I did as you suggested and I'm virtually certain I'm printing on the correct side of the paper.  When I open the package, the side that is face up underneath the instructions is the side I'm printing on.  That side is sticky when I do the "wet finger test".

Any other possibilities?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Turn it over and print on the other side.  Then at least you'll know that 100%
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:09:22 pm by Wayne Fox »

switters

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 03:45:06 pm »

Turn it over and print on the other side.  Then at least you'll know that 100%
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Weird.  I tried another print on a new sheet on what I could have sworn was the same side I printed on before, and it worked beautifully.  

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up