Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Present Prints?  (Read 8164 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
How to Present Prints?
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:13:04 pm »

I have been engaged to provide around two thousand dollars worth of prints for a client - most of them 8X10.

I am not sure on how I should present them and could use some reccomendations.

They just want the prints - no matting or framing and I dont feel right just handing over the prints. I feel they should be in something.

Any ideas, or is there anything on the market you recomend?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
How to Present Prints?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:37:36 am »

Something like this:

http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm...4&Productid=118

Or you can have something custom made, I think Michael has an article somewhere on this site (but maybe it was a LL video...)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:39:12 am by Tim Gray »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
How to Present Prints?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:49 am »

I have been engaged to provide around two thousand dollars worth of prints for a client - most of them 8X10.

They just want the prints - no matting or framing and I dont feel right just handing over the prints. I feel they should be in something.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For two thousand bucks worth of prints, I'd deliver them in a nice clamshell box from Light Impressions:

[a href=\"http://tinyurl.com/333aqh]http://tinyurl.com/333aqh[/url]

I agree that the presentation is important, and you want to give the client the understanding that the prints have value.

Cheers,

Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Josh-H

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »

For two thousand bucks worth of prints, I'd deliver them in a nice clamshell box from Light Impressions:

http://tinyurl.com/333aqh

I agree that the presentation is important, and you want to give the client the understanding that the prints have value.

Cheers,

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ken and Tim,

Thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
How to Present Prints?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:32:20 pm »

I agree. A nice clamshell with some archival interleaving between the prints.

RGS

Chris_T

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:53 am »

It depends on what you are selling for "two thousand dollars". If you are selling a handful of 8x10s, by all means dress them up the best you can. But if you are selling two thousand 8x10s, why bother? IOW, factor the presentation cost into your total cost.

If your customer wants to mat and frame these prints, I won't spend too much on presenting the prints. But if they want to keep these prints unmatted and unframed, I would give them something nice so that they can preserve and view them easily. For the latter, I would offer them a few options to choose from. In fact, I would have discussed this with them *before* agreeing on a price.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Josh-H

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 08:43:42 pm »

It depends on what you are selling for "two thousand dollars". If you are selling a handful of 8x10s, by all means dress them up the best you can. But if you are selling two thousand 8x10s, why bother? IOW, factor the presentation cost into your total cost.

If your customer wants to mat and frame these prints, I won't spend too much on presenting the prints. But if they want to keep these prints unmatted and unframed, I would give them something nice so that they can preserve and view them easily. For the latter, I would offer them a few options to choose from. In fact, I would have discussed this with them *before* agreeing on a price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well to answer your question - its 6 prints - and the client said 'just give me the prints'.

What I said was.. I dont feel comfortable in handing over 6 prints for two grand on their own - I wanted to put them in something. and have ordered a clamshell.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Chris_T

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:50:20 am »

Congradulations, and good for you. If they ever want more prints, send them my way!  

Well to answer your question - its 6 prints - and the client said 'just give me the prints'.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
How to Present Prints?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:30:37 am »

WOW!  i never thought my nudes would sell!  Tell them I'd be happy to pose again if they need more sets!

ed j

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 12:57:05 am »

it depends on what they are paying for them. u did not say.

8 x 10 just print no corrections done
how are u printing them, printer or chemical process

come on , your're gonne post info like this be clear

Josh-H

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:30:51 am »

it depends on what they are paying for them. u did not say.

8 x 10 just print no corrections done
how are u printing them, printer or chemical process

come on , your're gonne post info like this be clear
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Um.. I did say in my original post around two thousand dollars worth of prints!
Do I really need to write that its $1,985.00 to the cent?

And what does corrections or wether its wet darkroom or pigment on paper have anything to do with how they are presented?

I think my original post was pretty darn clear.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Blind Squirrel

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:15:34 pm »

Assuming these are images of value and because they are not separated by mats, I would use the clamshell and put each image in glassine.  I then present them with a pair of white, cotton gloves.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
How to Present Prints?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:39:05 pm »

Um.. I did say in my original post around two thousand dollars worth of prints!
Do I really need to write that its $1,985.00 to the cent?

And what does corrections or wether its wet darkroom or pigment on paper have anything to do with how they are presented?

I think my original post was pretty darn clear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not that it's any business of us forum dwellers out here, but curiosity always gets the better of most of us.

So on the surface most of us are envious that someone would pay 2,000 for 6 8x10 prints.  
Of course, since we have no clue what the images are of, and what it means to be "engaged" by a client, it could be the images themselves represent little of the value, and most of the value is for your services creating some unique images, maybe even in a very challenging or even hazardous environment.

Not that it matters ... sounds like a great gigue either way. Hopefully they'll love them and be back for more ...

Just wondering if you found a good 8x10 clamshell or had to settle for an 8.5x11 one?

Josh-H

How to Present Prints?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 07:29:22 pm »

Not that it's any business of us forum dwellers out here, but curiosity always gets the better of most of us.

So on the surface most of us are envious that someone would pay 2,000 for 6 8x10 prints. 
Of course, since we have no clue what the images are of, and what it means to be "engaged" by a client, it could be the images themselves represent little of the value, and most of the value is for your services creating some unique images, maybe even in a very challenging or even hazardous environment.

Not that it matters ... sounds like a great gigue either way. Hopefully they'll love them and be back for more ...

Just wondering if you found a good 8x10 clamshell or had to settle for an 8.5x11 one?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Wayne.

I have settled on an 8.5 x 11 clamshell. I just ordered one on line from Light Impressions.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ognita

Re: How to Present Prints?
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:14 pm »

Apologies for reviving an old thread. I searched the boards for "clamshell" and this thread seems to fit the bill. I have opted to revive rather than create a new thread as this has informative links already.

I have looked on every link but could not seem to find what I need. I am looking for a clamshell box for presentation of 8"x8" prints only or 13"x13" with mat. I would love to have the box embossed somehow with my name/logo and it would be nice if they both come from the same company. I am only aiming for 2 pieces and I am currently residing in Beijing (some won't ship here)

The web has lots of resources but I am hoping for you recommendations.

Thank you!

Josh-H

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »

I get very similar custom made for me now by SELDEX
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ognita

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:59:17 am »

Thanks Josh! :)
I'll look into the link you provided.

:)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:05 am »

I agree. A nice clamshell with some archival interleaving between the prints.

RGS

What is archival interleaving?  It sounds like a paper that goes in between each print in the box.  Is the paper special for photography? What benefits does if provide and where can it be purchased?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:27 pm »

What is archival interleaving?  It sounds like a paper that goes in between each print in the box.  Is the paper special for photography? What benefits does if provide and where can it be purchased?
It's acid free paper and can be purchased from a number of suppliers.  I get mine HERE.  It provides a little extra protection between prints.

KeithR

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H link=topic=19777.msg142324#msg142324 date=1190935762
I have settled on an 8.5 x 11 clamshell. I just ordered one on line from Light Impressions.
[/quote
Nice choice on the clam shell. I'm doing the same for my brother who asked me to scan and print some of his slides from his tour in Vietnam.
I used to get all my "archival" items from Light Impressions, but have read some bad things about them of late(delays, bad customer service, etc.) so I'd like to know how things go with them.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up