Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Centered prints: PSCS3 and Epson  (Read 17509 times)

dmccombs

Centered prints: PSCS3 and Epson
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 05:07:35 pm »

It seems like this happens on a variety of Epson printers, all of which worked fine with CS/CS2.

Is this happening with XP and Vista, or just Vista.

I guess I am trying to figure out weather the problem is with CS3 or Vista?

BTW, I have the 3800, Vista, CS3.  I didnt have the problem when running the 3800/XP/CS2 setup.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 05:28:17 pm »

It happens with XP.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 05:51:56 pm »

If you want to offer feedback to Adobe on the upcoming Photoshop CS3 update to address printing issues, see:Having Problem Printing for Photoshop CS3?

Adobe is looking for people who wish to test the upcoming update...

dmccombs

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 07:13:32 pm »

It happens with XP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, so people see the issue with various OS and printers.  The common piece is CS3.  

Schewe mentioned Adobe is aware of the issues, so that's good.  I'm sure Adobe will address them ASAP.

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 01:51:36 am »

If you have standard print sizes, then you can just measure the output with a ruler, and then compensate for the poor centering by playing with the canvas size and the position settings in the print box.  That's the only solution I have found, but it's still preferable to have to use another piece of software.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 07:42:10 am »

If you have standard print sizes, then you can just measure the output with a ruler, and then compensate for the poor centering by playing with the canvas size and the position settings in the print box.  That's the only solution I have found, but it's still preferable to have to use another piece of software.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I size my prints to suit the subject matter - nothing "standard", and no reason to have to "play" with anything to center an image on a piece of paper. Adobe has understood that message and I am VERY pleased to see that they have developed solutions they are readying to test.

tsjanik

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 10:13:19 am »

FYI:

Adobe update to CS3 (Windows) includes the following statement:

• Images no longer print with odd-sized margins on various Epson printers, or print smaller and off-centered.

I hope it works.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3775

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 10:54:07 am »

FYI:

Adobe update to CS3 (Windows) includes the following statement:

• Images no longer print with odd-sized margins on various Epson printers, or print smaller and off-centered.

I hope it works.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3775
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it works.

tsjanik

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 09:27:11 pm »

Yes it works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mark:

Yes it works – sometimes.  My limited experience (approximately ten prints) indicates some serious problems:

Three times, when selecting “print” in CS 3, the program has told me I need to have a printer installed.

Twice, when selecting a profile for soft proof, the program informed me “insufficient RAM”; 1.5 GB was being used, with 1.75 unused.  On one occasion, a fatal error occurred.

An attempt to use “user defined” size, in this case 17x25 in, resulted in a print not centered and an inability to use landscape mode.

I find myself still resorting to CS to print reliably.

Have you encountered any of these problems?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 09:57:36 pm »

Mark:

Yes it works – sometimes.  My limited experience (approximately ten prints) indicates some serious problems:

Three times, when selecting “print” in CS 3, the program has told me I need to have a printer installed.

Twice, when selecting a profile for soft proof, the program informed me “insufficient RAM”; 1.5 GB was being used, with 1.75 unused.  On one occasion, a fatal error occurred.

An attempt to use “user defined” size, in this case 17x25 in, resulted in a print not centered and an inability to use landscape mode.

I find myself still resorting to CS to print reliably.

Have you encountered any of these problems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, haven't encountered any of them.

When you installed the Patcher Application, did you follow their instructions about first deleting your printer and your Preferences and then re-instating them after the install? If you did not follow these instructions you may have a corrupted installation. In this case you should uninstall Photoshop, delete the printer, re-install Photoshop CS3, re-install the Patcher Application and re-instate the printer. Before you do any of this, save-out your custom settings, preferences, keyboard shortcuts and actions to your desktop, and note the exact folders where they should be re-introduced within the Program Folder.

Are you running a Mac or a PC? If PC you should not have centering problems with this Patcher. On a Mac I believe it should work too, but I haven't tested it on a Mac. I know it works for PC. What model printer is it? Did you define the custom size in the printer driver Paper tab? Do you have "Centered" checked in both the printer driver (if it provides for this) and the Photoshop Print Window?

Selecting a soft-proof should be no problem at all, as it has nothing to do with the Print Module. That function, as far as I know, was not affected by the 10.0.1 patch. This all makes me think you have a corrupted installation and all these problems should go away with a proper re-install.

tsjanik

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:44 am »

Mark:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I will try a reinstall today and, in hindsight, a corrupted installation should have been my first suspicion.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:47 am »

Mark:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I will try a reinstall today and, in hindsight, a corrupted installation should have been my first suspicion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TS, one other thought that occurred to me just this morning: when you created your custom print dimensions in the driver, (I'm assuming Epson here) did you then SAVE those settings as a new Preset? If you do not do this, your isettings would be ignored and that could be part of the issue.

tsjanik

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 02:42:43 pm »

TS, one other thought that occurred to me just this morning: when you created your custom print dimensions in the driver, (I'm assuming Epson here) did you then SAVE those settings as a new Preset? If you do not do this, your isettings would be ignored and that could be part of the issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark:

I thank you again for your afterthought.  It is indeed necessary to save the settings.  Now, since you're on a roll, can I ask a question about the stock market......?

Tom

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 03:00:22 pm »

Mark:

I thank you again for your afterthought.  It is indeed necessary to save the settings.  Now, since you're on a roll, can I ask a question about the stock market......?

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure you can, but the answer won't be any better than anyone elses' including the professional market-watchers, whose predictions get turned upside-down routinely.  I remember last May the "market sentiment" (great term, that) was that the Toronto Stock Exchange Index would hit 15,000 before the year end.  Well, it has since declined from a peak of 14,600 in June to about 13,300 now, yet the financial media don't revert to these guys and asks them how they could have been so wrong - even as to the direction. Heaven forbid anyone being held to their crystal-ball gazing. It's a bit sobering when you think that anyone who acted seriously on that advice and plunked say 115K into the TSX last June will have by today lost the equivalent of a Canon 1DsIII and a good L lens. Not to speak of the blood-bath on the currency markets for holders of US dollar assets. OK, this could go on and on - I'm sure that question was at least half in jest, eh?  

tsjanik

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 03:14:59 pm »

Not to speak of the blood-bath on the currency markets for holders of US dollar assets. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That would be me; I used to enjoy going to Canada.  Now it's your turn to visit the US.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 03:46:18 pm »

That would be me; I used to enjoy going to Canada.  Now it's your turn to visit the US.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, now that you mention it, this is happening in droves. Our commercial distribution systems are adjusting to the currency fluctuations ever so slowly - varies from product to product - so people are crossing the border to shop like you wouldn't believe - or maybe you would. Some of the price differences seem to make the long line-ups at the border worthwhile to some folks. Final analysis, back in 2002 anyone visiting here from the US could buy over CAD 1.50 for a USD, now they get barely 1.00 if that much. Makes a huge difference to the cost of a trip, doesn't it, and what used to be stratospheric prices for Canadians in US hotels, restaurants - and not to forget - our favorite photographic retail outlets - now seem much more reasonable. Hard to say how long this will last.

KeithR

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 09:58:18 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS,Nov 21 2007, 08:57 PM
No, haven't encountered any of them.

When you installed the Patcher Application, did you follow their instructions about first deleting your printer and your Preferences and then re-instating them after the install?

Mark,
May I ask where you delete the printer and Preferences from? I think I know about the printer(through the devise manager?), but am drawing a blank on Preferences. I'm sure it's simple.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 10:11:53 pm »

- Delete your printer via the OS Print Control Panel (Win) or  
Printer Setup (Mac).
- Re-add your printer (same location).
- Install profiles for the printer and papers you’re going to use.
- Delete your Photoshop Preferences (On Photoshop launch, for Mac: CMD/OPT/SHIFT, for Windows: CTRL/ALT/SHIFT

Hope that helps.

KeithR

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2007, 10:47:31 pm »

- Delete your printer via the OS Print Control Panel (Win) or 
Printer Setup (Mac).
- Install profiles for the printer and papers you’re going to use.
- Delete your Photoshop Preferences (On Photoshop launch, for Mac: CMD/OPT/SHIFT, for Windows: CTRL/ALT/SHIFT

Hope that helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you!
But I'm still at a loss as to "Delete your printer via the OS Print Control Panel
                                       - Install profiles for the printer and papers"
I understand about right clicking and then selecting delete, but how do you "re add the printer"? I've had to go into the devise manager to uninstall and reinstall the printer but not the control panel.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:01:16 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up