Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning Panoramas with Nikon 9000  (Read 1990 times)

mlvlvr

Scanning Panoramas with Nikon 9000
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:35:20 pm »

This is an old topic.  I've seen posts on it, or at least closely related topics, going back to the days right after the Hasselblad Xpan introduction.  

I would like to know if any of you have defeated the defaults on a Nikon 9000 scanner, allowing you to scan 24x65mm panoramas, such as from a Noblex 135.   I can scan those without difficulty on my Epson 4870, but I'd like to use the Nikon, or at least give a fair try.

Nikon recommends using the $350 glass film holder, but aside from yet another piece of hardware and an additional expense, the web is full of opinion and much negative experience using that holder.  There's also the $500 Cachet wet film carrier, another unattractive option.

Using the 35mm strip holder, the first problem is that "dividers" between frames in what the scanner expects is 24x36 frames.  Other users have described using a sharp knife to cut one of those away, scanning a right and a left section, being careful to use a single set of scan parameters, and then stitching with your image processing software of choice.  Surely there has to be a better way.  

Have any of you discovered it?

Many thanks,
Dan

BTW, I don't know if it's relevant, but I have both Nikon Scan 4 and Silverfast Ai 6 at my disposal.

tsjanik

Scanning Panoramas with Nikon 9000
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 01:56:07 pm »

Dan:

You can build your own glass carrier from the nearly useless standard 120 (or Brownie, as Nikon refers to it) holder.  Remove the clips; you can do this without breakage by bending them.  Obtain two pieces of glass of a size that fits the holder; you will use these to sandwich the film ensuring flatness.  You can buy scanner glass from the following:
Michael Sparks, Focal Point, 3129 Canterbury St., Deltona, FL. 32738
386-860-3918, mike@fpointinc.com
You order from him by scanner model and the glass is precut to the appropriate size.   Two pieces from focal point will cost $40; you can also try any local glass shop, likely at less cost. You  will have to cut a mask of the same thickness as your film  to accomodate your film strip and block light from other areas.  The 6x7 option in Nikon Scan should allow you to scan the whole strip.  You can use the crop tool to avoid scanning non film areas

Good luck.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up