Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB seems to have been affected by new DSLRs  (Read 6392 times)

Henry Goh

MFDB seems to have been affected by new DSLRs
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:31:05 am »

Watching the SALE section in LL shows quite a few MFDB up for sale since the announcement of 1Ds MKIII and the D3.  I suspect some MFDB users may have decided that they really don't need the big files that often so find that now with these new and more capable cameras are coming online, they might as well switch out before these backs get cheaper.  Do you see the same trend?

Henry

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:52:36 am »

Watching the SALE section in LL shows quite a few MFDB up for sale since the announcement of 1Ds MKIII and the D3.  I suspect some MFDB users may have decided that they really don't need the big files that often so find that now with these new and more capable cameras are coming online, they might as well switch out before these backs get cheaper.  Do you see the same trend?

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141144\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not enough data for good statistics.  Maybe the growth of the used market means that there are many more people who own MFDB's.  Maybe it's a bunch of zero down homeowners who's APR's are going up.  Maybe LL has become a more viable place for selling an MFDB because of the increase in traffic on the forum.  Maybe the trade in offers by the manufacturers are not as attractive.  Maybe people are getting ready for the big switch to the Hy6.  Maybe everyone is getting ready for several weeks of non-stop Halo 3 action.  In the end, you're probably right though.  But I still don't see the Nikon or Canon as competing with the MFDB's, they are just such different tools.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:40:25 am »

I've seen a trend on fleaBay where used backs used to be moving at certain prices are now just sitting there with no bids and often are relisted at lower prices with little effect...

there was an H2 w/ CF-22 demo from Calumet that went for $8300 last week. a few moths back one went for over $11k if I remember correctly.

there was also a Ixpress 132 for $7k that went nowehere - recnelty several of those backs went for
a few $k more, this one has no bids.

granted it's fleaBay and the seller has somethign to do w/ it, but seems to be a trend starting, esp. w/ ZD back on the market too...

IMO wont effect the big gun pricing, but certainly is having an effect on used  16/22mpx backs that are a generation+ or so old...

Anthony R

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:05:05 pm »

It COULD be true, but I think it really comes down to having more than they needed the whole time and finally realizing it. If you are downsizing your files, well...what more needs to be said? They had a bigger piece of pie than they could eat for the type of work they do/did.

Henry Goh

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:44:50 am »

It COULD be true, but I think it really comes down to having more than they needed the whole time and finally realizing it. If you are downsizing your files, well...what more needs to be said? They had a bigger piece of pie than they could eat for the type of work they do/did.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess then the question we should be asking is how many who have purchased MFDB really need them?  Could these photographers have done as well with DSLRs?

It would be really nice to hear from some who have abandoned their MFDBs and gone back to their Canons or Nikons.  If they can share why they did that and what really got them to review their gear.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:46:06 am by Henry Goh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up