Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird layer mask problem (CS2)  (Read 5532 times)

Kevin W Smith

• http://www.kevinwsmith.com
Weird layer mask problem (CS2)
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:36 pm »

CS2 (Windows XP) just started acting up on me and I have no idea why.

I was just doing post prod on an architectural shoot I did this week, combing exposures by hand via layer masks. I've been doing this for years without a problem, but what happens now is that it works normally for a while, then instead of painting in or painting out the mask with the brush tool, I'll switch to a layer and paint white or black across the image.

I figured out a workaround though - go into Layers and disable then enable the layer mask, but eventually it comes back.

Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on Adobe's site. Er correction, I didn't have the patience to wade through hundreds of documents and forum posts that didn't relate to this particular problem.

Time to re-install Photoshop?

Kevin

picnic

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:37:55 pm »

I was just doing post prod on an architectural shoot I did this week, combing exposures by hand via layer masks. I've been doing this for years without a problem, but what happens now is that it works normally for a while, then instead of painting in or painting out the mask with the brush tool, I'll switch to a layer and paint white or black across the image.

I figured out a workaround though - go into Layers and disable then enable the layer mask, but eventually it comes back.

Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on Adobe's site. Er correction, I didn't have the patience to wade through hundreds of documents and forum posts that didn't relate to this particular problem.

Kevin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

picnic

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:39:23 pm »

Kevin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kevin, I've had that happen to me more than once--its always because I've inadvertently not selected the mask itself.  I don't know why that happens, but just be sure that you click on the mask itself--otherwise you will be painting into the layer image.

Diane

Kevin W Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 01:59:01 am »

Kevin, I've had that happen to me more than once--its always because I've inadvertently not selected the mask itself.  I don't know why that happens, but just be sure that you click on the mask itself--otherwise you will be painting into the layer image.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your reply, but I definitely am clicking the mask itself, not just the layer name, or anything else in the layer palette.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 02:49:59 am »

Try changing the palette view to larger icon, smaller icon, etc. to see if that resets the problem. If that doesn't fix it, make sure you save all of your workspace settings and actions and color management swettings, and then delete all of your pref files. When they get corrupted, all kinds of weird stuff can happen.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:34:52 am »

Was it a really large file with lots of layers?  Large files sometimes make for slower responses.  If so, perhaps it is a ram issue.  When you click on the mask icon to activate it, you should see the border appear around the mask icon to show it is activated. If you double-click do you get the mask dialog?  I've noticed a slight lag on these with really large layered files.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Kevin W Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:34:25 pm »

Was it a really large file with lots of layers?  Large files sometimes make for slower responses.  If so, perhaps it is a ram issue.  When you click on the mask icon to activate it, you should see the border appear around the mask icon to show it is activated. If you double-click do you get the mask dialog?  I've noticed a slight lag on these with really large layered files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks everybody. Reminding me about the border being around the mask helped - apparently what's happening is that sometimes, when I click on the mask the border doesn't appear so only the layer is selected. I have to pause for a second then click it again.

Strange, new, and intermittent behavior. The machine has been in heavy use for a year so it's due for a format/install of the system drive anyway, since it hasn't been as stable all around lately as it normally is. That should clear up the anomaly and some other issues too, I hope. Typical Windows hassle.

tived

• http://
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:25:33 pm »

Thanks everybody. Reminding me about the border being around the mask helped - apparently what's happening is that sometimes, when I click on the mask the border doesn't appear so only the layer is selected. I have to pause for a second then click it again.

Strange, new, and intermittent behavior. The machine has been in heavy use for a year so it's due for a format/install of the system drive anyway, since it hasn't been as stable all around lately as it normally is. That should clear up the anomaly and some other issues too, I hope. Typical Windows hassle.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

<sarcasme on>
well, you better get a mac if you are having windows hassle!
<sarcasme off>

Sometimes a service and oil change is good even for a computer - aka a new install :-) which you seem aware off.

I can only think off one thing and that is that you are not having enough ram on your machine and you are pushing it harder and harder... i had a similar problem once, where it would not keep locked on the mask but switch over to the actual layer, very much like what you describe. I re-installed PSCS2 as Jonathan described and I was back running. it solved the problem for me.

However, I used to re-install my machines every 6 months with fresh installs of OS and all apps...a pain in the neck but it does run smoother afterworth and if you are processing many 1000's of images every week then, you can look at it a bit like taking the car in for a service, for every 25000 images :-)

hope you get it sorted

Henrik

Kevin W Smith

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 01:28:39 am »

<sarcasme on>
well, you better get a mac if you are having windows hassle!
<sarcasme off>

Sometimes a service and oil change is good even for a computer - aka a new install :-) which you seem aware off.

I can only think off one thing and that is that you are not having enough ram on your machine and you are pushing it harder and harder... i had a similar problem once, where it would not keep locked on the mask but switch over to the actual layer, very much like what you describe. I re-installed PSCS2 as Jonathan described and I was back running. it solved the problem for me.

However, I used to re-install my machines every 6 months with fresh installs of OS and all apps...a pain in the neck but it does run smoother afterworth and if you are processing many 1000's of images every week then, you can look at it a bit like taking the car in for a service, for every 25000 images :-)

hope you get it sorted

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Ya, the format/install "oil change" is a waste of a day but always solves more headaches than it causes. Worth it, but I sure hate it doing it...

tived

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:19:56 am »

Thanks. Ya, the format/install "oil change" is a waste of a day but always solves more headaches than it causes. Worth it, but I sure hate it doing it...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I always keep meaning to make an image of my OS disk, for those rainy days when we need to make a reinstall. but have never gotten around to it. Anyway, food for thoughts!

Henrik

Kevin W Smith

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 03:02:38 pm »

I always keep meaning to make an image of my OS disk, for those rainy days when we need to make a reinstall. but have never gotten around to it. Anyway, food for thoughts!

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FWIW, I've found that using a disk image simply re-installs the problems you were already having. I get much better results by wiping the drive, and installing the OS and apps from scratch.

tived

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:25:25 am »

FWIW, I've found that using a disk image simply re-installs the problems you were already having. I get much better results by wiping the drive, and installing the OS and apps from scratch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Kevin,

I think that you may have mis-understood me. I meant that when you have installed your OS and apps from scratch then you make an image and keep that aside. for the day when the sun isn't shinning on your ;-)

I would assume that this would work. Like I said I have never gotten around to do it, maybe when I re-install next time

Henrik

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09:10 am »

Hi Kevin,

I think that you may have mis-understood me. I meant that when you have installed your OS and apps from scratch then you make an image and keep that aside. for the day when the sun isn't shinning on your ;-)

I would assume that this would work. Like I said I have never gotten around to do it, maybe when I re-install next time

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141897\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Been there, done that.  The only thing it saves is the time installing the updates to that point in time.  3 months down the road, or more likely 12 when you really need it, you might as well start again from scratch anyway.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:09:52 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up