Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New aurora  (Read 4662 times)

santa

New aurora
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:34:11 am »

1DMKII  6 exposures. 10sec f2.8 ISO 400
A bearable but chilly night as I recall, at -40F or so.

lightstand

New aurora
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:34:40 am »

WOW very nice, very nice indeed!

Antarctic Mat

New aurora
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:00:14 pm »

That's an incredible shot, we have had quite a few auroras here so I know how hard they are to capture! How on earth did you manage to stitch them together when they move so much?
Very impressive.
Mat.

santa

New aurora
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:15:10 am »

That's an incredible shot, we have had quite a few auroras here so I know how hard they are to capture! How on earth did you manage to stitch them together when they move so much?
Very impressive.
Mat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I stitch them "by hand" in photoshop but it is "artistic" stitching. Given the fact that the wide angle lens is pointed upward a bit, the overlap, particularly with respect to each star is not perfect. If an astronomer were to inspect this he might comment that..."uh...that constellation doesn't look like that..." so I admit to taking some minor artistic control there. The stitching success does depend on the aurora not moving too rapidly as this is a series of 6 shots stitched together, 30 sec each, for a total of 3 minutes to shoot the entire aurora. Good news is that starting with 48 million pixels I can print this reasonably big in spite of the star smudge that 30 sec causes. Most folks are polite enough to not complain about that technical glitch. . One more from last night is about to be posted (not pano)

Roman Racela

New aurora
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:25:23 pm »

I want to say "Way Cool" because of the freezing conditions when you shot this image...but I really want to say is 'HOT DAMN!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up