Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Currency Changes & 5D Replacement  (Read 3939 times)

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
Currency Changes & 5D Replacement
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:46:15 pm »

As a Canadian looking at B&H prices on gear, I'm really tempted by the 5D, but I had always hoped to get the 5D's successor, which would benefit from the improvements in the 40D.  However, I'm afraid that if the 5D is too far off, the current potential savings will begin to erode as wholesale prices and contracts adjust. Granted the exchange rate pass through is slow, and the US Greenback's weakness won't go on forever, but I'm still fretting.    

So... if anyone has thoughts on when we might see a successor to the 5D, please post here.

Also, if anyone has any insights on how prices and may react in the near term, please share. I have a graduate degree in Economics, but I'm no longer practicing that religion so I can comprehend despite not having my finger on the pulse.

Thanks!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:14:41 pm »

As a Canadian looking at B&H prices on gear, I'm really tempted by the 5D, but I had always hoped to get the 5D's successor, which would benefit from the improvements in the 40D.  However, I'm afraid that if the 5D is too far off, the current potential savings will begin to erode as wholesale prices and contracts adjust. Granted the exchange rate pass through is slow, and the US Greenback's weakness won't go on forever, but I'm still fretting.   

So... if anyone has thoughts on when we might see a successor to the 5D, please post here.

Also, if anyone has any insights on how prices and may react in the near term, please share. I have a graduate degree in Economics, but I'm no longer practicing that religion so I can comprehend despite not having my finger on the pulse.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry... for this but AARRRRGGHHH!!!

So sick of seeing posts like this about when X camera is going to come out and how much will it be. DPreveiw forums are riddled with these questions - which is why I no longer read there.

Bottom line - No, there is no announced replacement for the 5D as yet. If there is an announcement it likely wont be till next year.

Dont worry about buying a 5D now - its a ripper camera and still will be a ripper camera even if they do replace/upgrade it next year. Do yourself a favour, buy one and take photographs - its better to be out there shooting than have nothing because you are worried about a replacement model in the unforseen future.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

llama

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:09:23 am »

Sorry... for this but AARRRRGGHHH!!!

So sick of seeing posts like this about when X camera is going to come out and how much will it be. DPreveiw forums are riddled with these questions - which is why I no longer read there.

... its better to be out there shooting than have nothing because you are worried about a replacement model in the unforseen future.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hear ya, and I, too see little value in those speculations. However, I feel I've posed a distinctly different question as I'm uninterested in MSRP at launch, nor am I currently camera-less -- my 20D and I are getting along well.

Rather, I was focused on timing given the rather rare CDN/USD parity right now.

At any rate, if there's no insight, even into the economics of exchange rates and consumer prices over the near term, there's no insight.

Thanks all.

N

paulnorheim

• don`t have
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:37:01 am »

If anybody at LL knows a lot about the US sub prime crisis, the global credit crunch, the future actions of Bernanke, China, oil prices, the 2007/2008 winter weather in the northern parts of USA, what the White House is planning to do with the Iranian nuclear issue (diplomacy or war?), future consumer spending, US debt, inflation and all those other issues influencing on the future value of the US dollar, and in addition has some inside information from Canon, I`m sure they would be able to answer you  

A crystal bowl is just as reliable as any of the experts on these things now, because the global economy and geopolitics are so complicated that most of these experts get it wrong. They didn`t predict 9.11, they didnĀ“t predict the war in Iraq, and most of them were not prepared for the sub prime crisis or the credit crunch connected to the hedge funds. All this nasty stuff came as a surprise, just as the Canon 5D was a happy surprise for the pundits and the photographic community (and perhaps a not so happy surprise for Nikon), when Canon announced it a couple of years ago.

All we can do is guessing, and if I should do my part (WHO THE HELL AM I???), I would certainly guess that the dollar will stay low for a while, and perhaps go even lower than today during the next six months.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:47:09 am by paulnorheim »
paul norheim

thomas517

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:26:43 pm »

I hear ya, and I, too see little value in those speculations. However, I feel I've posed a distinctly different question as I'm uninterested in MSRP at launch, nor am I currently camera-less -- my 20D and I are getting along well.

Rather, I was focused on timing given the rather rare CDN/USD parity right now.

At any rate, if there's no insight, even into the economics of exchange rates and consumer prices over the near term, there's no insight.

Thanks all.

N
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Llama,
I agree with what you are saying.
I too was looking to upgrade to a 5D,and read,re-read all the reviews dozens of times,when I realized that I spent more time reading ,then I did taking photographs.
That being said,my current camera's are the 300D,350D,both are used on a weekly basis.Now I am ready for an upgrade.
I'm not a professional photographer,but take this hobby very seriously.
I've used the 5D a few times and it is really an excellent camera,but remember the 5D is a 2year old camera.
After reading Michael's review and a visit to B&H photo { 10 minutes from my house}I've decided to purchase the 40D,mainly for the larger viewfinder,newer processor,..etc..I find this to be a good comprimise between the latest technology and my current photographic needs,at a reasonable price.
Hope this info helps,and good luck with whatever camera you choose,despite the currency exchange rates.
Thomas.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

I've used the 5D a few times and it is really an excellent camera,but remember the 5D is a 2year old camera.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140989\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used my AE-1 from 1980 through to 2006 and it is still sitting on the table - sadly looking a bit forlorn without film these days:) The 5d remains an excellent camera, as is the 40D and I'm sure most of the rest of the bunch really. There are things that might encourage me to upgrade mine when canon release the new one, but I don't think it will be necessary. I used a 20D as a second camera at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and the results are fine.

Mike W

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:56:56 am »

both on and -off subject question -> does anyone know if credit card companies use the currency for the day of purchase?

It would be stupid to buy a lens via amazon at a (for me) interesting dollar/euro currrency, only to be billed later with a higher currency (day of payment)

regards

Mike

Mike W

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:08:00 am »

By the way, Ilama, I started a thread some while ago about the 5D and its history of pricing.
Not rocket-science since nobody can predict what canon will sell the 5D II for, but at least it sums up some what we know from the past product.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=19181&hl=

hope it helps.

thomas517

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 12:10:45 am »

both on and -off subject question -> does anyone know if credit card companies use the currency for the day of purchase?

It would be stupid to buy a lens via amazon at a (for me) interesting dollar/euro currrency, only to be billed later with a higher currency (day of payment)

regards

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe they do.
Last year I was in Thailand and used my amex card,I called them about the exchange rate ,and they did verify the price was correct,maybe off by a few pennies.
I don't know if this applys to all credit cards .

llama

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 09:20:06 pm »

Thanks everyone.

I understand those who say forget it and shoot, but not all of us have brains that work that elegantly -- did anyone miss the part about the M.A. in Economics?

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up