Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Novice searches for the right DSLR  (Read 3693 times)

sunlover

• http://
Novice searches for the right DSLR
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:11:59 pm »

Hello to everybody,      

I'm NOT new to photography in general but a greenhorn when it comes to digital photography.

For many months already I've been reading camera reviews and it seems to me that the time is ripe to seriously look for a DSLR which I'm going to use mainly for land- scape, family and other social events.

What attracts me most on DSLRs is the high quality of the images they produce.

The cameras I'm interested in are the following:

- Nikon's D80 or D200 (+ likely the Nikkor 18-70 mm zoom lens) or
      - Canon's brand new EOS 40D (+ perhaps the Canon 17-85mm zoom lens).

If I'd purchase a Nikon camera I'd also buy the SB-600 flash. If I'd pick up the Ca-
non camera then I'd also buy the 430 EX flash.

Since I'm almost 60 years of age, I only need ONE camera, ONE lens and ONE flash  and I don't intend to upgrade in the future.

What do you think about my plans? Are the cameras, lenses and flashes I mentioned earlier good ones and would I be able to master them? I'm very willing to learn and
believe that I'm not too old for this kind of photography.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance and best wishes to all of you.

sunlover      

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:37 pm »

The image quality for 40D is better. How much better and if it matters is another subject , and you'll have to base on online samples - not very valid -, reading reviews or through personal tests. Perhaps the most important factor in 40D's favor for your use is the excellent high-ISO performance - so you can get good shots at family reunions even in the evenings.

But I also recommend you to check out a photography store, and see how you like the different cameras. The user interface is very different between Canons and Nikons. Many like Nikon, while some like Canon. 40D has a massive LCD screen which might be a dealmaker.

In any case, any of the cameras you mention will produce excellent results. You really can't go wrong with those options, so pick the one which "feels" the best.

blansky

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:09:04 pm »

In digital there are a few things to look at.

How big will you be printing. If 16x20 or less, then you won't need more than 10 MP and can get by usually with far less.

How much do you want to spend. Unlike the film days, newer is usually better technology. Because of that many people "trade up" pretty frequently. Subsequently there are many deals floating around for used cameras less than a year or two old.

Many digital camera models are designed for specific markets. If you don't need a zillion frames a second, then you don't need to pay a premium price for that model. High ISO models are something to check out. That way you can take the family pictures you talked about without the ugly light that you will get from the flash that you mentioned. Although this is a lens consideration issue as well. Also some cameras have a small flash built in which may be adequate. (D200 has, not sure of the others)

For what you explained as your planned usage, the difference between Canon and Nikon will be mostly personal preference but make sure the specific model covers what you will be shooting(eg ISO, frame rate, resolution etc)

Michael
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:14:22 pm by blansky »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:58 pm »

Every one of the cameras you mentioned is excellent.  Find a shop that carries all of them, buy a flash card to take with you and start playing.  

You will love all these cameras.  

I would worry more about depending on one single lens for all purposes.  Plan to spend more on the lens or on a small kit of two lenses.  If you are sure you only want one lens, I would go with something more akin to the Canon 28-105 L.  

I would even consider going to a cheaper camera like the 30D or D70 mated with a high quality lens.  

I strongly believe that the improvement made with a good lens will make up for any perceived image quality differential in the cameras you list.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:59:04 pm »

Depending on how urgent the purchase is and on how much you are willing to spend, I would suggest including the new D300 in your round up.

Regards,
Bernard

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:41:56 pm »

If you want a camera that does it all with one lens, Nikon has a 18-200 VR (stabilized) Canon only covers this range with 2 lenses. Don't get me wrong I love my 5D but I'd recommend the Nikon D300 + 18-200 VR, My second choice would be the Canon 40D with a Sigma 18-200 OS. If however taking along 2 lenses is worth it for you any of the name brands would be a good choice. Choose the lens first then pick the body! Buy the best sensor your budget allows.
Marc
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:54:22 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

mbridgers

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:03:24 am »

Don't overlook the Pentax K10D.  With 16-45 f/4 lens the whole kit is available for less than the 40D body.  In-body stabilization, weather sealing, auto sensitivity adjustment, and a  wealth of prime and zoom lenses available.

I just upgraded from my Canon 10D, and am thrilled with the quality and the ability to get a pretty sharp image at 1/13 of a second hand held.

Here's a roundup of reviews:
http://ok1000.blogspot.com/2006/12/k10d-review-corral.html

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 12:07:12 pm »

Don't overlook the Pentax K10D.  With 16-45 f/4 lens the whole kit is available for less than the 40D body.  In-body stabilization, weather sealing, auto sensitivity adjustment, and a  wealth of prime and zoom lenses available.

I just upgraded from my Canon 10D, and am thrilled with the quality and the ability to get a pretty sharp image at 1/13 of a second hand held.

Here's a roundup of reviews:
http://ok1000.blogspot.com/2006/12/k10d-review-corral.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I forgot to mention the K10D. That's the #1 non-CaNikon camera I've been recommending people in similar situations, as it has a feature set which is beyond anything they offer at a much better price.

sunlover

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:50:51 pm »

Depending on how urgent the purchase is and on how much you are willing to spend, I would suggest including the new D300 in your round up.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140810\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your answer to my post but I do NOT consider to pick up a D300 since it is
to expensive.

By the way, I took a look at your pictures at flickr and I can only say this: TERRIFIC
shots!!!!

Once again, thanks for your reply and good luck to you.

sunlover    

sunlover

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 01:04:12 pm »

If you want a camera that does it all with one lens, Nikon has a 18-200 VR (stabilized) Canon only covers this range with 2 lenses. Don't get me wrong I love my 5D but I'd recommend the Nikon D300 + 18-200 VR, My second choice would be the Canon 40D with a Sigma 18-200 OS. If however taking along 2 lenses is worth it for you any of the name brands would be a good choice. Choose the lens first then pick the body! Buy the best sensor your budget allows.
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Marc,

First of all, thanks for your reply to my post.

I know from reading lens reviews that the Nikkor 18-200 mm would be an outstanding choice and there is still a possibility that I go for the D 80 + that lens.

The D 300 + Nikkor 18-200 mm would be too expensive for me. So you can forget that combination.

Canon 40 D + Sigma 18-200 OS would be an option too.

I believe you're right when you say "Choose the lens first, then pick the body".

Regards,
sunlover    

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »

What DSLR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might be worth considering the 5D

THe full frame chip gives better performance and a better viewing experience

While it may be apparently more expensive once you start looking at the price of (used?) lenses you may find that you get the money back

An 18 on a small chip camera is a 27 on a FF camera - not really a proper wide

Decent wide on a small chip costs big bucks

the big range zooms have small apertures

Fundamentally these are non satisfying tools

I would think about a 5d and some second hand primes 20 or 24, 50, then in time a 135

That is real pro quality stuff that will give satisfaction for many years

SMM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:48:57 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up