Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Red River papers  (Read 2368 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Thoughts on Red River papers
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:55:43 am »

I have recently received a sample pack of Red River paper. I have a Canon iP4500 so I got the pack for dye printers.

I've only printed one sheet of Polar Arctic Satin so far but was impressed with the first print and am eager to find out more about these papers.

Does anyone have any comments with Red River papers? Your comments, good or bad,  are appreciated. Thanks.

RGS

marcgoldring

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:02:41 am »

I've used their paper for years and I think it's quite good for the price. I particularly like the RR UltraPro Satin and the heavier matte (forget the name at the moment). Now, it's not the same quality nor as good with blacks as the more expensive papers - Hahnemuhle FAP or Museo Satin Whatever - but I'm thinking that it's fine for test prints and the like and in many cases, depending on what you are printing for, may be just fine. Someone else can comment on technical stuff like OBAs and longevity and the like.

Cheers,

Marco

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:12:30 pm »

I use RR UltraPro Glossy, and am very happy with it. Price/quality ratio is excellent, and they serve very well in everyday use. I ordered a sampler from Hahnemühle and some other company when I got my i9950, but didn't see enough difference to justify the much higher price for other papers - if any difference at all with this printer. I used their own paper profile for the printer, but got much better - excellent - results after I got the paper-printer combination profiled.

I'm sure more critical photographers wouldn't use RR for displaying purposes, but they're Good Enough for my personal use. I will continue using their papers even when I get a high-end pigment photo printer for everything except for hanging on the wall.

I've been in contact with their customer support, and it's freakishly good and flexible if problems with your order occur due to unforeseen circumstances (not their fault).

I haven't tested the 2.0 papers, but will whenever I run out of my current batch.

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:28:21 pm »

I use Red River's Ultra Pro Satin,  Linen, and Aurora Fine Art papers on an Epson R1800 printer.  I've been very pleased with the results that I've seen with all 3 of the papers.  I do use custom profiles with each paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up