Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 paper feed problem  (Read 3003 times)

casterle

Z3100 paper feed problem
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:16:39 pm »

I’m trying to calibrate and profile some Breathing Color Sterling 300 gsm paper. This is thick, stiff paper on a 3” core. After several attempts to load the paper, it finally took and the printer said it was ready.

I started the HP EPC software and initiated a calibration. I heard the printer go about its business printing the chart while I worked on my computer. After a while got an error to the effect that the printer failed while reading the calibration.

I looked at the paper, and it was completely blank, as if it hadn’t advanced so it was under the printheads. I removed the paper and saw that the back side contained several lines of colored ink, and the first few inches of the front side had black ink blobs scattered across it.

I loaded the paper again, again after several attempts. I then pressed the Cut button on the front panel, and the paper advanced and cut properly. I did this 4 times to get rid of the ink-soiled part.

I started the calibration again and watched the printer. The carriage moved as if printing a calibration chart, but the paper didn’t advance. I let it run for a few moments to make sure the paper really wasn’t moving, then canceled the calibration from the EPS software. I found lots of ink covering the black ribs between the absorbent material to the rear of the star wheels, which no doubt was what had caused the ink stains previously. I could hear the feed mechanism running as if the paper were being fed properly.

Can someone suggest how I might get this paper to work?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:30:49 pm »

So the printer did calibrate the paper right?

And, of course you chose Fine Art
"Thick" right? (For your profile setting)?

That's weird.

I'd try going back to something else like maybe some canvas and re-do everything before going on any further.

Try just running everything through calibrating and making profiles, etc., and make sure everything is working properly.

Then, maybe have another go at that tough to profile paper.

My best advice -  FWIW / YMMV

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:16:57 am »

I’m trying to calibrate and profile some Breathing Color Sterling 300 gsm paper. This is thick, stiff paper on a 3” core. After several attempts to load the paper, it finally took and the printer said it was ready.

I started the HP EPC software and initiated a calibration. I heard the printer go about its business printing the chart while I worked on my computer. After a while got an error to the effect that the printer failed while reading the calibration.

I looked at the paper, and it was completely blank, as if it hadn’t advanced so it was under the printheads. I removed the paper and saw that the back side contained several lines of colored ink, and the first few inches of the front side had black ink blobs scattered across it.

I loaded the paper again, again after several attempts. I then pressed the Cut button on the front panel, and the paper advanced and cut properly. I did this 4 times to get rid of the ink-soiled part.

I started the calibration again and watched the printer. The carriage moved as if printing a calibration chart, but the paper didn’t advance. I let it run for a few moments to make sure the paper really wasn’t moving, then canceled the calibration from the EPS software. I found lots of ink covering the black ribs between the absorbent material to the rear of the star wheels, which no doubt was what had caused the ink stains previously. I could hear the feed mechanism running as if the paper were being fed properly.

Can someone suggest how I might get this paper to work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140596\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Run extra thick and non flexible stock through the roll paper feed slot. The sheet paper feed will often make things like Torchon 450g/m2 stick.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:08:29 am »

Run extra thick and non flexible stock through the roll paper feed slot. The sheet paper feed will often make things like Torchon 450g/m2 stick.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With almost any paper sheet I avoid the sheet paper feed table. I would like to see a firmware upgrade that allowed the insert from the back with paper transport handle up and the user aligning the sheet on the blue lines and initialising after lowering the handle. I think I get a 75% accepted loading on first attempt but the time it takes for the 25% isn't worth it, 100% acceptance on first attempt with visual control is easier and any double sided printing etc registration will be easier with thin tabs at the front. Feeding edge cut at 90 degr. on roll waste sheets is important anyway.

Could be that I'm missing the right approach on this, I'm all ears.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:10:08 am »

I would be Very Excited at a "trust the user" load option.  I've got deep desires to use esoteric media in the printer, but am thwarted by its insistence on finding a parallel edge during load.  There was some rumour about the new firmware having support for something similar -- a deckle-edge paper option -- and that would make me very, very happy.

Seriously, I would be jumping up and down if I could just pop the lever, slide in the paper, drop the lever, and have the printer very quickly measure page dimensions but not enforce "skew."

casterle

Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:24:33 am »

So the printer did calibrate the paper right?
No. None of the ink actually made it to paper.

And, of course you chose Fine Art
"Thick" right? (For your profile setting)?
Yes, Fine Art > 250 gsm

I recently profiled a couple of sheet papers without problems, but they were much thinner. I've got some HP Canvas Matte that I haven't profiled yet so I'll give that a try.

casterle

Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:27:18 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140619\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is roll paper, so I'm already feeding it through the roll slot.

It sounds like you've been able to print on much thicker paper than my BC Strerling 300 (Torchon 450), so the printer must be capable of handling it.

casterle

Z3100 paper feed problem
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:32 am »

I would like to see a firmware upgrade that allowed the insert from the back with paper transport handle up and the user aligning the sheet on the blue lines and initialising after lowering the handle.
I was thinking exactly the same thing while I was trying to get the Sterling to load (most of the errors I got were skew problems). If I could only align it to the blue line manually to start with...
Pages: [1]   Go Up