Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS3  (Read 12360 times)

matt4626

Photoshop CS3
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:36:10 pm »

With earlier Photoshop versions I always loaded to program twice, once on MY desk top and once on MY laptop. CS3 won't do it. Has Adobe changed the way they do business?

ternst

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:44:47 pm »

You are still allowed two locations...

Richard Marcellus

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »

The Adobe license allows you to install the software on two computers as long as both are not being used at the same time. Here is the relevant section from the EULA:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5 below, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy.

If you have already used up two "activations" you will need to contact Adobe to get another activation.

Richard

bob mccarthy

• http://
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:00:56 pm »

You can also deactivate a computer and transfer the activation to a new computer. I believe they are using an online activation scheme. I have active accounts on two computers. I don't believe it locks one out while I use the other. At least I've never been locked out that I know of.

Bob

matt4626

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:41:04 am »

Thanks for the info. I was locked out on my laptop just a few minuted after installing CS3. My desk top was on but Photoshop was not..oh well next time a have a few free days I guess I'll try to get Adobe on the phone.

matt4626

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:48 am »

I got through to Adobe!. They tell me Photoshop should work on two computors..so I'll assume my problem was operator error.

knweiss

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:22:19 pm »

I got through to Adobe!. They tell me Photoshop should work on two computors..so I'll assume my problem was operator error.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you maybe have the education version which IS limited to a single installation?

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »

The Adobe license allows you to install the software on two computers as long as both are not being used at the same time. Here is the relevant section from the EULA:
2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5 below, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy.
If you have already used up two "activations" you will need to contact Adobe to get another activation.

Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Any insight into whether will allow one to use the same license when the laptop is on a different platform. For example, I've purchased CS3 for Windows, but I'm considering a Mac laptop. Would I be able to take advance of section 2.4?

Paul Sumi

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »

Any insight into whether will allow one to use the same license when the laptop is on a different platform. For example, I've purchased CS3 for Windows, but I'm considering a Mac laptop. Would I be able to take advance of section 2.4?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I went through this process myself a couple of years ago.

My understanding is that the Adobe PS CS3 license covers only ONE operating system at a time.  If you have both a Windows PC and an Apple OS X computer, you need two licenses, one for each platform.

Now, some other companies, for instance Phase One for their Capture One software, do allow cross-platform usage on a single license.

Paul

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:43:33 pm »

I went through this process myself a couple of years ago.

My understanding is that the Adobe PS CS3 license covers only ONE operating system at a time.  If you have both a Windows PC and an Apple OS X computer, you need two licenses, one for each platform.

Now, some other companies, for instance Phase One for their Capture One software, do allow cross-platform usage on a single license.

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info Paul.

N

Richard Marcellus

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:30 pm »

I wish Photoshop and the Creative Suite had a cross-platform license, but unfortunately not yet. They do apparently allow you to change your license from one OS to another, but I don't know if they let you do this more that once. My plan is to switch my license to Mac for CS3, and put my old CS2 Creative Suite on my old Windows box for the rare occasion when I need one of the apps on Windows. Hopefully this is permitted. I'll check with Adobe on this when I do the switch.

There certainly is interest in Photoshop becoming cross-platform. See John Nack's blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/01/yes_cs3_can_be.html

The only Adobe product that I am aware of this is cross-platform is Lightroom, but perhaps they will extend this over time to others.

I am not sure why they don't have cross-platform licenses. I expect the number of people who buy apps twice so they can run a personal copy on Windows and Mac is quite small, so this may not be a factor. Perhaps it is so they can track the numbers of users on the two platforms to justify development and marketing costs.

Richard

LPJay

• lumen-perfectus.com
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »

Richard,

I'm about to abandon Windows for a Mac Pro. I called Adobe a couple of days ago to learn how to make the platform change. I'm using CS on XP, so I also need to upgrade to CS3.

I was happy to learn Adobe has a process for this, quite easy for the customer. When you call you'll be directed to a PDF that's a "Letter of Software Destruction" (make your own jokes). By completing, signing, and faxing this to Adobe, I'm certifying I've destroyed my Windows copy of PS. For $200 (US) they will then ship the full install package of CS3 for the Mac.

This obviously rules out using an older version on Windows, in my case.

Hope that helps.

--Jay
 www.lumen-perfectus.com

Richard Marcellus

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:18:33 pm »

I phoned Adobe to make the change this evening. The only cost to go from CS3 Design Premium Windows to Mac is shipping for the new box, and as Jay mentioned I have to Fax in my signed Letter of Software Destruction.

I cannot use CS2 on my Windows machine. It has to be destroyed, as my copy of CS3 was an upgrade to CS2, not a full purchase.

With Lightroom, I cannot run the Windows and Mac versions with one license. I have to unactivate and uninstall the Windows version and then install and activate on the Mac. So while two copies of LR can be installed under one license, they have to be on the same OS.

The phone call with Adobe went well. They were helpful and quick. They seem to be quite practiced in doing this.

Richard

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 07:38:56 am »

With Lightroom, I cannot run the Windows and Mac versions with one license. I have to unactivate and uninstall the Windows version and then install and activate on the Mac. So while two copies of LR can be installed under one license, they have to be on the same OS.

Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the rep you talked to is mistaken. I've always heard the license for LR is for either platform and that this is something new for Adobe aps.

This is from Adobe's FAQ for LR:

Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photohop Lightroom (the “Software”) is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy. Photoshop Lightroom is sold as multi-platform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

Richard Marcellus

Photoshop CS3
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 09:17:26 pm »

I think the rep you talked to is mistaken. I've always heard the license for LR is for either platform and that this is something new for Adobe aps.

This is from Adobe's FAQ for LR:

Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photohop Lightroom (the “Software”) is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy. Photoshop Lightroom is sold as multi-platform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146896\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I did some further Google searching and it does appear that my sales rep was mistaken, which seems strange.

Richard

ChrisJR

• http://
Photoshop CS3
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 10:20:41 am »

Do you maybe have the education version which IS limited to a single installation?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I bought the education version of CS3 Design Premium and installed it on both of my Macs (laptop and desktop). Works perfectly on both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up