Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flex adaptor vs. kapture group stitching back  (Read 7764 times)

michaelnotar

flex adaptor vs. kapture group stitching back
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:13:37 pm »

i want to put my MF back on my totoy 4x5. i cant decide between the phase one flex adapter i think it is and the kapture group stitching sliding adapter. i have a P1 P25. what are the differences, strengths, weaknesses of each? curious to know your experiences with each too.

thanks
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:14:13 pm by michaelnotar »

BrianWoolf

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:12 am »

There is another option at www.eco-digital.com, it's somewhere in asia and the prices are in an asian currency, so I have no way of knowing if they are high, mid or low prices. Supposedly they have a sliding adaptor back that might fit on a Toyo, but I am not sure.
Tested the Phase Sliding back and the Kapture Group one. The Kapture seemed unuseable, from the point of view of focusing thru their groundglass. The magnifier that came with the unit was a pop-up Hasselbad one and it was like looking thru a bad peephole in a door. The other photographer that I was with got his Hasselbald pop-up viewer on and that worked a lot better. I could not honestly say that it worked well enough to be useable.
You must test these things. Also try ebay, you might get lucky and find a Phase Sliding Adaptor for a good price.
Brian

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:10:53 pm »

There is another option at www.eco-digital.com, it's somewhere in asia and the prices are in an asian currency, so I have no way of knowing if they are high, mid or low prices. Supposedly they have a sliding adaptor back that might fit on a Toyo, but I am not sure.
Tested the Phase Sliding back and the Kapture Group one. The Kapture seemed unuseable, from the point of view of focusing thru their groundglass. The magnifier that came with the unit was a pop-up Hasselbad one and it was like looking thru a bad peephole in a door. The other photographer that I was with got his Hasselbald pop-up viewer on and that worked a lot better. I could not honestly say that it worked well enough to be useable.
You must test these things. Also try ebay, you might get lucky and find a Phase Sliding Adaptor for a good price.
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are several sliding backs that can be used on large format cameras, but I'm a bit partial to the Phase One FlexAdapter.  The biggest bonus of using the FlexAdapter over the others sliding backs, is that it stitches directly with C1 Pro. The FlexAdapter also operates very smoothly.  Some of the other backs are not quite as easy to operate.  I would recommend getting a Bright Screen or Maxwell Precision Optics screen for the back.  We have found that the original screen can be a bit dark.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

arossphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:35:34 am »

I've been researching the various sliding backs as well, and there is a Chinese one available on eBay for about $300. I'm sure you get what you pay for. But on the other hand the technology of a sliding back appears to be pretty simple to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could make something like this over there for a much lower price. My main concern might the be focusing screen.

Has anybody ever seen one of these Chinese sliding backs?

I was surprised to hear Brian say the Kapture Group back was unusable. According to their site, their backs incorporate the "bright custom Maxwell Precision Optics focus screen" that Chris recommends. Is this something new for them? Is it possible that older Kapture Group backs did not use the bright screen?

Thanks,

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up