Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hasselblad back  (Read 29890 times)

ronno

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:50 pm »

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/16874/hasselblad-h3d-ii/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I assume ultra focus or whatever it is called still means single point in the middle AF ?

Which means the Hassy CEO statement..

".. we believe that the world’s best high-end DSLR camera has just got better"

is pushing it a bit IMO

Surely he should have said "Our OK camera is still basically the same - flawed for many purposes"

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

TechTalk

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:09:58 pm »

I assume ultra focus or whatever it is called still means single point in the middle AF ?

Which means the Hassy CEO statement..

".. we believe that the world’s best high-end DSLR camera has just got better"

is pushing it a bit IMO

Surely he should have said "Our OK camera is still basically the same - flawed for many purposes"

S
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No need to assume, there's this thing called "Google" and the internet where you can find all kinds of information. Like...

Ultra-Focus on H3D.
The Ultra-Focus functionality, which covers special sensor positioning and correction for aperture dependent focus position, has now been expanded to correct for the optical effects of light passing through cover glass and filter glass in front of the CCD sensor. Calculating the improvements in sharpness are achieved by processing Hasselblad’s digital lens models with metadata on actual aperture and sensor. [a href=\"http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/flexcolor-47-highlights]Hasselblad Ultra-focus[/url]

In other words, it corrects for lens focus shift (which is aperture dependent) and the refraction of the cover glass. Also, is there any camera that isn't excellent for some purposes and flawed for many others? There are many changes in the H3D-II. You can check it out for yourself with that "Google" thing.

Surely you should have said "don't post assumptions which are flawed for the purpose of reasoned discussion".
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:51:26 pm »

Ultra-Focus on H3D.
The Ultra-Focus functionality, which covers special sensor positioning and correction for aperture dependent focus position, has now been expanded to correct for the optical effects of light passing through cover glass and filter glass in front of the CCD sensor. Calculating the improvements in sharpness are achieved by processing Hasselblad’s digital lens models with metadata on actual aperture and sensor. Hasselblad Ultra-focus

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if hasselblad would spend as much time on camera develpoment as they do on insane marketing hype, they might actually have a great product.....

TechTalk

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:46:47 pm »

if hasselblad would spend as much time on camera develpoment as they do on insane marketing hype, they might actually have a great product.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hasselblad has done terrific development in many areas and they have several great products.

It seems the marketing department hasn't done a great job of explaining the technology and benefits of their research, development and products as evidenced by the earlier post regarding Ultra-focus.

Of course for some it's an emotional issue of some sort and there is no amount of explaining new technology advances, aimed at pushing the envelope of image qaulity and hardware capabilities, that will suffice.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:02:19 am »

Also, is there any camera that isn't excellent for some purposes and flawed for many others?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes but the H is the only 'DSLR' (their word not mine), that is centre point only AF

Making  far from the 'best' DSLR

I am sure talking to the lens technology is great - it is just that  if I were a developer it would be well down on my development list compared to

'replace embarrassing 1980 style AF'

A nikon D100 image that is in focus out resolves a blad image that is out of focus...

S

TechTalk

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 01:50:07 am »

Yes but the H is the only 'DSLR' (their word not mine), that is centre point only AF

Making  far from the 'best' DSLR

I am sure talking to the lens technology is great - it is just that  if I were a developer it would be well down on my development list compared to

'replace embarrassing 1980 style AF'
A nikon D100 image that is in focus out resolves a blad image that is out of focus...
S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If the number of autofocus points is the only criteria for evaluating a DSLR–you are correct. I prefer to consider much more than that–but to each his or her own.

I remember "1980 style AF" well. No internal focus like all of the "H" lenses have. Cumbersome AF/Manual switches to override autofocus instead of just turning the focus ring like you do on the "H" lenses. The Hasselblad "H" autofocus is the best I've seen in a medium-format camera and far better than any autofocus in 1980.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:55:11 am by TechTalk »

josayeruk

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:38:43 am »

Why don't you actually try it though before critiscising?????  

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:50:53 am »

If the number of autofocus points is the only criteria for evaluating a DSLR–you are correct. I prefer to consider much more than that–but to each his or her own.

I remember "1980 style AF" well. No internal focus like all of the "H" lenses have. Cumbersome AF/Manual switches to override autofocus instead of just turning the focus ring like you do on the "H" lenses. The Hasselblad "H" autofocus is the best I've seen in a medium-format camera and far better than any autofocus in 1980.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course it is about priorities.

I would just put decent AF very near the top of the list

There are only three controls on a camera that really affect an image
speed
aperture
focus position

The first two generally change less than the third in most pricture taking environs and are therefore lower priority to automate IMO

I am baffled by the need for hundreds of shooting modes, user modes,  or even a meter really!

I would change to any MF system that offered decent AF - none do - IMO the H is the best of a sorry bunch  and it just got better -great.

S

ps do you know how when using the H and Aperture priority how to stop the shutter speed changing after you have chosen your focus point - without pressing any buttons - that is the automation I miss

josayeruk

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:44:59 am »

True, the AF is not the greatest in the world, but at least Hasselblad is making steps to improve the system????

How many other MF systems are being developed today, except for the Hy6 which you can't even buy yet.

Rather than all of being negative why not think about the positive sides of the new H3DII.

3.0" display for one?  This has been something we have all been whinging about for ages, and when it arrives... no comments.  

Graham Mitchell

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 06:54:53 am »

In another recent thread, someone posted that they had tried the Hy6/AFi and the autofocus was significantly better than the Hass H. I hope that's true.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:47:55 am »

Hmmmm.....

Apparently they are getting sloppy in the marketing/communication area. The news is everywhere but on their website.

I am wondering when the new magical software is available for download and how much of a firmware upgrade the 'other' Hasselblad backs will get.

ISO800 (even if it is noisier than the new better cooled versions) would be nice. So would the option of getting the smaller raw files when shooting tethered. I am really jumping to get my hands on the anti-moire plug-in.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:50:42 am by Dustbak »

SeanBK

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:01:24 pm »

............3.0" display for one?  This has been something we have all been whinging about for ages, and when it arrives... no comments. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There is "no comment" from Phase One crowd   as Hasselblad seems to have gone ahead of Phase One in terms of 3" display. I am sure Phase One will come up with their 3" display & then watch out how many will exalt the virtues of Phase One's display & that will be even before anyone has seen it!!

froesner

• http://images.luiroq.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:18:04 pm »

Does anybody know prices for an upgrade from H3D 39 to H3D 39 II ??

/Frank

hubell

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:17 pm »

In another recent thread, someone posted that they had tried the Hy6/AFi and the autofocus was significantly better than the Hass H. I hope that's true.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then all they would need are some autofocus lenses.

hubell

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 12:44:57 pm »

Actually, Hasselbad is doing a terrible job of getting its message out and providing effective demonstrations of the significant features that they have implemented in their cameras and backs over the past 12-18 months, often through firmware and software updates. How much sarcasm has been expressed here over the failure of the MFDB makers to provide a high quality 3" screen comparable to what Nikon and Canon provide? Now, it appears that Hasselblad is doing it and you dismiss it as "insane marketing hype". Same with built-in GPS. I do a lot of landscape work in remote locations in the US and Europe that I often would like to revisit for more favorable lighting conditions. The built-in GPS is a BIG DEAL to me. Automatic software-based correction of lens distortion and light vignetting is also important. Where are Phase, Leaf and Sinar with these capabilities? Why are they not innovating? How much is Phase charging to move from a P45 to a P45+ in order to get a 2" screen that would have been acceptable 3 years ago?
(BTW, I still don't understand what the hell Ultra-Focus is all about)

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 12:58:06 pm »

Does anybody know prices for an upgrade from H3D 39 to H3D 39 II ??

/Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll have pricing information, including upgrade pricing after this Friday.

I'll also be looking at the new units - I'm most interested to see the quality of the screen. The size is nice, but if it's crap, that's another story.

Howard, I'll be sure to input the GPS coordinates so you can tell exactly where I was when I was testing it.  

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 12:58:36 pm »

Hasselblad is continuing to update their system. Leaf/Sinar/Rollei are still stuck at the vaporware stage where they claim their camera *will* be better , better, better.  Phase continue to provide decent back hardware that can only be mounted on obsolescent bodies -

I'd say that it will be soon set game and match for Hasselblad although Mamiya stand a chance of survival as they seem to be able to sell lenses and bodies for 1/2 the price of Hassy.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Mort54

• http://
New Hasselblad back
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 01:23:19 pm »

Actually, Hasselbad is doing a terrible job of getting its message out and providing effective demonstrations of the significant features that they have implemented in their cameras and backs over the past 12-18 months, often through firmware and software updates. How much sarcasm has been expressed here over the failure of the MFDB makers to provide a high quality 3" screen comparable to what Nikon and Canon provide? Now, it appears that Hasselblad is doing it and you dismiss it as "insane marketing hype". Same with built-in GPS. I do a lot of landscape work in remote locations in the US and Europe that I often would like to revisit for more favorable lighting conditions. The built-in GPS is a BIG DEAL to me. Automatic software-based correction of lens distortion and light vignetting is also important. Where are Phase, Leaf and Sinar with these capabilities? Why are they not innovating? How much is Phase charging to move from a P45 to a P45+ in order to get a 2" screen that would have been acceptable 3 years ago?
(BTW, I still don't understand what the hell Ultra-Focus is all about)
Hi Howard.

> (BTW, I still don't understand what the hell Ultra-Focus is all about)

Nobody does :-)

Kudos to Hassy for pushing their product forward. Phase One seems to be mired in the mode of making the minimal upgrades necessary to get by. A 3" screen with a very high pixel count, like we see on the new D3, would allow much more accurate focus checking and is something I wish my P45+ had (instead of the still poor tiny screen it has today). Live view on a 3" screen would be even better (it would be huge, actually). So hopefully Hassy will keep it up and hold Phase One's feet to the fire. Nothing improves a product faster than hard competition.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pixjohn

New Hasselblad back
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 02:15:52 pm »

Leaf Has the gain utility to fix vignetting, I just wish they had it in the new V11 software. I am going to a all day Hasselblad event on sept 20 and hope to see the new camera.  I am hoping I can shoot a few files against my Aptus 75.

Automatic software-based correction of lens distortion and light vignetting is also important. Where are Phase, Leaf and Sinar with these capabilities? Why are they not innovating?(BTW, I still don't
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:17:09 pm by pixjohn »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up