Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5100 vs iPF5000 Prints  (Read 7013 times)

John Hollenberg

iPF5100 vs iPF5000 Prints
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:04:20 am »

I thought I would post a couple of early observations on test prints made with these two printers.  Prints were sent to me by one of the Wiki posters (Avalan).  He got the iPF5100 prints at Canon CPSEXPO in Canada where the iPF5100 and iPF6100 were being demonstrated.  The iPF5000 prints were made on his printer.  The printer evaluation  image from Outback Photo was printed on both printers.

So far, all I can say is:

1) Auto color (used for the iPF5100 prints) is still crap.  You will probably need good generic profiles (e.g., from Booksmart studio) or custom profiles to make good prints.

2) The reduction in bronzing (on Canon Heavyweight Satin Photo paper) with the new blacks I would estimate at 85-90%.  Almost completely gone.  Very nice improvement!

--John

Avalan

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:33 pm »

About Canon Canada CPS event :
Found the info of this event by reading Michael's announcement in LL. More info here:
http://www.canon.ca/CPSE/

It was a useful and well organized event. Packed with photographers, Canon staff were answering the questions and there was a good opportunity of testing Canon gear and printers. In house rebate coupons were given to the guests for the new products.
Guest Photographers Vincent Laforet and Denis Reggie shared their experiences and techniques thru the slide show and talks.
Adobe and Apple seminars were another part of the event . Each seminar was 1 hour with lots of info to absorb.
All together very well done. I enjoyed it and it was a pleasure being there. Toronto and Montreal events are the next and the detailed info can be found in above link.

About 5100 and 6100 :
New black inks and self color calibration capability can be considered the most important improvements compare to the previous generation of Canon large format printers.
The samples I got printed with 5100 using auto color mode for output profile via PS plug-in, were not acceptable. Can not comment on the other profiles coming with the printer .
The other issue is we need to wait some time for availability of the plug-in for CS3. It is in progress , not clear when it will be ready.

Availability, Suggested retail price( in Canadian dollars), and rebate coupon for CPS attendants in Canada :
IPF5100 - will be shipping in a few weeks / retail: $2495 / rebate : $200
IPF6100 : available/ retail: $4295 / rebate: $400
IPF8000 : available / retail: $6995 / rebate :$700
IPF9000 : available / retail :$17995 / rebate :$2000

The shortcomings of the profiles or  the unavailability of the plug-in CS3 at the moment are not deal breakers and hope they will be addressed by Canon soon. The new models have specially targeted the HP Z series and I will consider them very strong competitors for what they can offer. Guess we will see some in depth reviews soon .

Regards - Avalan

ChrisImages

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:34:51 pm »

About Canon Canada CPS event :
Found the info of this event by reading Michael's announcement in LL. More info here:
http://www.canon.ca/CPSE/

It was a useful and well organized event. Packed with photographers, Canon staff were answering the questions and there was a good opportunity of testing Canon gear and printers. In house rebate coupons were given to the guests for the new products.
Guest Photographers Vincent Laforet and Denis Reggie shared their experiences and techniques thru the slide show and talks.
Adobe and Apple seminars were another part of the event . Each seminar was 1 hour with lots of info to absorb.
All together very well done. I enjoyed it and it was a pleasure being there. Toronto and Montreal events are the next and the detailed info can be found in above link.

About 5100 and 6100 :
New black inks and self color calibration capability can be considered the most important improvements compare to the previous generation of Canon large format printers.
The samples I got printed with 5100 using auto color mode for output profile via PS plug-in, were not acceptable. Can not comment on the other profiles coming with the printer .
The other issue is we need to wait some time for availability of the plug-in for CS3. It is in progress , not clear when it will be ready.

Availability, Suggested retail price( in Canadian dollars), and rebate coupon for CPS attendants in Canada :
IPF5100 - will be shipping in a few weeks / retail: $2495 / rebate : $200
IPF6100 : available/ retail: $4295 / rebate: $400
IPF8000 : available / retail: $6995 / rebate :$700
IPF9000 : available / retail :$17995 / rebate :$2000

The shortcomings of the profiles or  the unavailability of the plug-in CS3 at the moment are not deal breakers and hope they will be addressed by Canon soon. The new models have specially targeted the HP Z series and I will consider them very strong competitors for what they can offer. Guess we will see some in depth reviews soon .

Regards - Avalan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just wanted to pass along for those intrested in a 5100.
Just talked to Bob @ ColorHQ - said printers are in fact in transit, expecting them on their doorstep Monday the 24th'ish

I'm really hoping to see some more review results soon.
bcf

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:03:08 pm »

Just wanted to pass along for those intrested in a 5100.
Just talked to Bob @ ColorHQ - said printers are in fact in transit, expecting them on their doorstep Monday the 24th'ish

Yes, actually listed for sale on their web site with expected availability by October 1:

http://www.colorhq.com/index.asp?PageActio...CFRlyYAod125NiA

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up