Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR1.2 won't edit in Photshop CS3  (Read 5563 times)

seamus finn

LR1.2 won't edit in Photshop CS3
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:35:47 am »

Hi all,

Anybody encounter this: on telling LR 1.2 to edit in PS3, the following message appears:
Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file (name) for editing, It will not be opened.

This despite the fact that in preferences/external editing/additional external editor I have Photoshop CS3.exe shown as the chosen application.

This problem has occurred only since I installed LR 1.2.  There was no difficulty in version 1.1  Now I can't use Lightroom in conjunction with CS3. The solution has to be simple - what am I missing?

picnic

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:16:39 am »

Hi all,

Anybody encounter this: on telling LR 1.2 to edit in PS3, the following message appears:
Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file (name) for editing, It will not be opened.

This despite the fact that in preferences/external editing/additional external editor I have Photoshop CS3.exe shown as the chosen application.
This problem has occurred only since I installed LR 1.2.  There was no difficulty in version 1.1  Now I can't use Lightroom in conjunction with CS3. The solution has to be simple - what am I missing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have a solution, but to try it, I went to my newly installed LR 1.2, chose a file to process in PSCS3 and did exactly as before---right clicked over the file,  chose 'edit in PSCS3', then chose edit with LR adjustments.  It opened in PSCS3, I processed with adj. layers, chose 'save as' and it saved in LR as before.  I didn't change anything in preferences--everything was as before the install of 1.2.  Maybe it would be wise to ask in the Adobe Lightroom forum.

On second thought---I remember that happening in 1.1.  I can't remember what I did to correct it--that doesn't help LOL.  I do know I didn't change anything in preferences.  Have you tried more than one file?

Diane

Diane
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:18:11 am by picnic »

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:35:38 pm »

Seamus,

Is the file you are trying to send to CS3 located in the default Windows folder "My Pictures"? LR will not send files from this location to PS for editing even though you can work on them in LR. My workaround for this is to export to a new folder, then open in PS.

Also, I had a few folders that I got this message with. On investigation they were all created on 4 different dates within a 3 week span. They all worked fine in all other aspects, just LR could not prepare a file from them for editing in an external editor. It would not work for Nikon NX either.

My solution was to rename the affected folders, using Windows Explorer, with a r at the end as a note to myself to remove. I created new folders with the original names and copied the contents of the old folders into the new folders.

Voila!!  Success!!  I then went back into Windows Explorer and deleted the old folders which I had renamed with the "r" suffix. This way LR  does not miss the folders it has already imported and as far as it knows, it is the same folder it imported.

What the problem was exactly, I don't know. Putting the files in a newly created folder did the trick for me. I had tried changing read write permission and attributes, but no change in behavior.

This was all done with LR1.1 but still the joy continues with 1.2. The 1.2 upgrade was the smoothest I have ever encountered with any software.  

HTH

Rich

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 02:20:11 pm »

Diane,
Yes, I tried several files from different folders. I have a feeling something went badly wrong after I downloaded 1.2. I ticked the write to XMP box and let LR do its thing. (It had been unticked for quite a while because of the speed issue). I left LR running and walked away but after many hours, it was still churning busily.  I have only about 3,500 pics in the library altogether having pruned ruthlessly earlier in the month.

Eventually, I turned off LR,  unticked the XMP box  and restarted. Speed was back to an acceptable pace, but at this point, I noticed that CS3 was no longer available when I tried edit in PS3.exe.

I work with two external drives - let's call them L and G.Files on L that I have tried don't open in CS3, but acting on your sound advice, I tried a folder from G and, hey presto, the pictures in the only two folders on G open in PS. I have pics in a collection for an upcoming exhibition - they don't open either.

I'm now wondering should I have left LR alone while it was updating the XMP stuff. I didn't think it would take seven or eight hours to do that for so few pics. I'm also wondering would this have had anything to do with the CS3 disconnect for pics on drive L.

At this point, I have re-installed PS3 - that didn't work.I have also followed the Adobe advice on their technical sheet re this problem.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...01629&sliceId=1

That hasn't worked either.

Thanks for your interest  

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 02:24:44 pm »

Rich,

Thanks, Rich, that could be the trick for me too. No, my files are on two external drives, L and G. The L ones don't go to CS3 (naturally, that's the majority of them). The files on G seem to have no problem.

seamus finn

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 03:08:55 pm »

Rich and Diana,
I think I found the problem - the L drive was nearly full. When I emptied a few gigs to the other drive, things returned to normal. Sorry for the scare - as usual, the solution is usually hiding in plain sight.

Phew. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:09:56 pm by seamus finn »

picnic

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 04:55:04 pm »

Rich and Diana,
I think I found the problem - the L drive was nearly full. When I emptied a few gigs to the other drive, things returned to normal. Sorry for the scare - as usual, the solution is usually hiding in plain sight.

Phew. Many thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was wondering myself.  The installation for me of 1.2 was just minutes and I have 5+ years on mine.  I have everything on external drives which I don't keep connected.  So--the folders all show red on mine (I don't 'import' but reference the folders from the drives) until I do connect.  

Glad you located the problem too--nothing worse than having all your data thrown to the wind.  I have used Imatch for a long time, but have not updated for several months and now am working on keywording everything in LR.  I would hate to see that messed up--so anytime I see someone with problems not being able to use LR it startles me.  So far it seems everyone has found a solution--and, knock on wood, I have't had a problem of my own yet *smile*.

Diane

Richowens

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 05:51:45 pm »

That's good news Seamus!

Something to add to the collective knowledge. LR evidently needs room to write the TIFF or PSD file to the folder where the original resides before it can send it to an external editor.

Thanks for the update.

Rich

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:18:10 pm »

That's good news Seamus!

Something to add to the collective knowledge. LR evidently needs room to write the TIFF or PSD file to the folder where the original resides before it can send it to an external editor.

Thanks for the update.

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, typically the file is written before it's sent to Photoshop so the file handle can be transferred.

If a TIFF file makes the disk full that's a REALLY big problem.  As a general rule, I would NEVER let a disk get more than 85% full.  Performance starts degrading very, very rapidly.  There's no way to solve this either -- it's physics.  And that's totally ignoring things like fragmentation.

IMO it's best to keep drives less than about 60% full.  That may not be practical for everyone, though.  But 85% is a really, really strong recommendation.  Almost more a mandate than a suggestion :-)

seamus finn

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 03:38:20 am »

Exactly, Cat One. In my case, the drive was about that full. When I attempted to defrag it subsequently, I was informed by Windows there wasn't enough space to do so.

On the wider subject of LR and info telling you what it's doing, I think the application falls down a bit here. The activity bar in the top left corner is fine in so far as it goes, but sometimes, more information is needed.  For instance, it would have been good to know that LR. couldn't do the edit because the drive was too full - rather that the vague notice that it currently gives. Something like 'Lightroom cannot perform this task because drive X is full' would have saved me a whole Sunday afternoon uninstalling and reinstalling CS3 as well as trying to make the reconnect in Windows registry.
There are other occasions, too, when LR goes into a solo run, with much huffing and puffing, but you're never quite sure what it's doing. How hard would that be for the engineers to address?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:40:07 am by seamus finn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up