Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images too saturated after Monitor Calibration  (Read 12045 times)

rwwong

• http://www.richardwestleywong.com
Images too saturated after Monitor Calibration
« on: September 15, 2007, 07:48:52 pm »

I have a 17" MacBook Pro Laptop.  I was previously using the Adobe 1998 profile for my monitor display, and was satisfied with the results as I was not printing from laptop.  

I am now going to use the laptop to print on an Epson 4800, so I purchased the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display 2 and subsequently used it to calibrate my monitor.  I used the Advanced mode @ 6000 Whitepoint, 1.8 Gamma, and 120 Brightness.  Resulting images that I had previously color corrected on a calibrated monitor looked great, as well as images on the web.  But Raw images, or untouched Jpegs are too saturated, especially Greens and Reds.  Skin tones too orange.  The over saturated colors like red are essentially blown out, or out of Gamut on my screen.  

What is going on?  I'm pulling my hair out on this.......

I'm shooting with the D200

ato

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:48:51 pm »

because your notebook are using LED backlight

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:41:02 am »

There is a amall chance you have a defective monitor calibrator, but a very large chance you have some settings not right somewhere. Make a screen shot of your PS color management settings and post it so we can see them.

Color management is only useful if every device in your workflow is color calibrated; camera, monitor, and printer. If you use ACR, you can color calibrate ACR to your camera with a Color Checker and the free script found here. That may be part of why your images are looking too saturated before editing. Buy a Color Checker if you don't have one, download the script, and follow the instructions.

The other cause for the saturation change is your choice of Adobe RGB as a monitor profile. NEVER EVER use an editing space profile as a monitor profile. There is a 0% chance it will give you correct colors, especially Adobe RGB. Most monitors are designed to roughly emulate sRGB, but they change over time, which is why periodic recalibration is necessary. Using Adobe RGB as a monitor profile will result in unnaturally desaturated images on-screen, because Adobe RGB contains many more saturated colors than sRGB. So when switching from Adobe RGB (which will make images unnaturally desaturated) to an actual measured monitor profile (which will show colors as they truly are), you're going to see an increase in saturation. But that is NOT a bad thing, your monitor was not showing correct colors before and now it is. You're just going to have to get used to it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 02:49:02 am »

because your notebook are using LED backlight
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139672\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

???

not sure of your point, but only the 15" uses LED's for light source.  And they make thing better.

ato

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 06:52:32 am »

Hi Fox

my point is ...most web image is taken from sRGB camera / edit with sRGB color space and without attach profile.if your monitor color is over sRGB .the image will look very saturated ..like a neon color.

so when i surf www , i will set my monitor CG221 to sRGB mode,all image will look fine.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:04:37 am »

And that can't possibly be the problem, because (a) you're thinking of a different model of monitor, and ( the problem didn't start until AFTER he calibrated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up