Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: (New) MF back pricing?  (Read 12785 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
(New) MF back pricing?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:33 pm »

I took over someones CF39 for 22K USD with one year of warranty. He upgraded to another brand, back was never used.

My other back an A17, I bought new (refurb) with one year warranty for 7600USD last year early september. I was one of the happy 500? that bought a refurb for 7600USD. Not long after that the A17 refurb got bumped up to around 9000.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:28:01 pm by Dustbak »

espressogeek

(New) MF back pricing?
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 07:00:03 pm »

I don't see how anyone can say the cost of mamiya gear has no relevance on other systems. The cost of the other systems will definitely have an impact on a Canon 1dsMIII so how would the mamiya be any different. I think the mamiya provides a "known quantity" of what 7k will buy you. It provides a good reference of which to compare the prices of other backs too. Perhaps I should start a bottom feeders MFDB thread for those of us cross shopping the phase p20 and p21, a17, CFV and ZD.

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
(New) MF back pricing?
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 10:41:34 pm »

The store may have been Calumet. Manufacturer's and dealer's know what they are going to make when product doesn't move. Since the MF back business is brisk, they can also say, "That's the price, end of story, next". The problem is photographers are a nervous bunch and like to work ALONE. Occasionally an independent photographer may score a good pricel on his own but generally that results from a unique circumstance like a new prduct launch involving upgrades, or whatever. The reason I got my A75 for $24,500 was because I was in the store at the same time another photographer happened to be looking at the A75. The salesperson said she would talk to the store owner, and came back with that price. She later called the Leaf rep who threw in the 30GB Digital magazine and 3 year warranty. The other photographer even reneged on the deal and later bought an Imacon back. But, everyone was happy as far as I know. I'm a believer that working together works. The dealer may tell the photographer, "Gee we don't have have any margin on these new backs", but you know better. Working together may give a store owner and product rep pause to think, "Ya know, if I sell two of these things and these people are probably going to upgrade, buy more lenses, more equipment, why not?". I bought allot lenses and whatever since my original A75 purchase so store owner knows he has made his money from the few dollars he may have saved me on the back. I need an A75s upgrade, or a Leaf AFi/A75s like I need a hole-in-the-head, but if a store owner and/or product rep want to work me on pricing, why not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the insights.  I'm glad to hear that it's possible to get
deals at calumet. Sounds like the timing was perfect in your case.
Tony

H1/A75 Guy

(New) MF back pricing?
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 12:25:12 am »

Thanks for the insights.  I'm glad to hear that it's possible to get
deals at calumet. Sounds like the timing was perfect in your case.
Tony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are multiple ways to get the dealers attention to work with you on the price, one of them being to remind them of your repeat business, which may or may not always work. I beleave a win-win situation for the buyer/seller is to present the store boss with the opportunity to sell multiple backs. The advantage of this forum is that any photographer can come on LL and say, "Hey, I'm looking to purchase a Phase back. Is anyone out there looking to do the same?". Now you've opened the door for the opportunity to work the price buy working together, even if the product you are looking for is different i.e. one P-25 and one P-45+. You may even go the extra step ask what the product rep can do for you, 3 year warranty, a Lexus, whatever. It may be cozier than we like to get with each other, but it can actually be painless and fun, and a bit easier on the wallet. Unlike car sales, the store boss can always say no, but when two people walk out, that's two backs he didn't sell, not just one. It's just a thought. Hell, we have the money conversion table and have had the car buyer training so we should be set to go..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up