Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Let start the new PP samples.  (Read 24704 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Let start the new PP samples.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 02:42:04 pm »

But the results are haneous, she looks like a cartoon character.

You mean "heinous"? How would you approach the image differently? What in particular about the image are you objecting to? Be more specific, please.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 02:43:13 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

awofinden

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2007, 03:15:22 pm »

You mean "heinous"? How would you approach the image differently? What in particular about the image are you objecting to? Be more specific, please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, sorry, heinous, the skin looks absolutely plastic and compared to the sharp eyes and mouth it just makes it worse. It's very artificial looking, when I look at it all I can see is retouching. The only way I can put it is it looks like a cartoon.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 03:21:47 pm »

To get rid of splotches, You could also try the highpass method on skin like that..[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got lost at the black bit but seem to have made a really nice soft and even layer !

Pasting the original over the top and selective erasing looks likes a very handy tool

(I have already written an action !)

thanks very much

----

In terms of the other comments _I think there is nothing wrong with cartoonish techniques- it is easy enough to tone down an effect using layers !

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 03:39:47 pm »

Yes, sorry, heinous, the skin looks absolutely plastic and compared to the sharp eyes and mouth it just makes it worse. It's very artificial looking, when I look at it all I can see is retouching. The only way I can put it is it looks like a cartoon.

Feel free to demonstrate what you think the image should look like, preferably with a step-by-step explanation of what you did. Just saying "that sucks" isn't particularly useful; showing a better alternative with step-by-step instructions is much more educational.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »

Feel free to demonstrate
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is what I would do as a standard clean up..

Methods high pass blotch remover on the arms (see above)

and some skin blemish on the face  - cloning, high opacity

and some lightening (under eyes)

cloning low opacity

(p.s done badly! )

S
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:22:41 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

awofinden

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »

Feel free to demonstrate what you think the image should look like, preferably with a step-by-step explanation of what you did. Just saying "that sucks" isn't particularly useful; showing a better alternative with step-by-step instructions is much more educational.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, no time for the step by step, sometimes being told that something isn't working is quite good advice I find. I'm sure with a bit of head scratching you can work out what I mean by plastic skin etc and remedy it. (think good old fashioned clone stamp and clone tool).

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2007, 06:58:34 pm »

Here's mine. With my Portra hi-key at the core.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 02:37:13 pm »

My take.  Not best pleased with the skin colour contouring because generally I work with higher resolution and bit depth images that permit finer control.

Skin alterations comprise a "gather" of tones to reduce blotchiness along with a slight yellow shift to counteract excessive redness and a small luminance-based blur funtion to take the edge off the pores but still leave her looking like a human.  RGB curve simulating Techpan 25 in HC-110 @ 4min, a third stop down onto Fortezo Soft.  Shadows yanked up 3.5 stops with -0.1 colour to salvage the background texture.  Wide area but low power vignette highlighting the face.  

No airbrush or spot corrections -- all work done within Bibble.  Some touchup here and there in PS might be nice for wallmount, but as an album shot this is fine.

[attachment=3288:attachment]

-- man, I really just can't figure out how to do those embedded thumbnails.  Well, at least it can be clicked on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:39:18 pm by SeanPuckett »

jonstewart

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 04:10:44 pm »

Sean, that looks a really good job. I like a lot, and a world of difference from the original pp.

(Am now trying to understand your method      )
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

eronald

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:27 pm »

Sean, that looks a really good job. I like a lot, and a world of difference from the original pp.

(Am now trying to understand your method      )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can someone assemble a composite of our efforts, or do I have to do it ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

E_Edwards

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 06:05:27 pm »

You could have a thousand versions and people would not agree on a deffinitive one as being best. It shows how subjective skin tones can be.

Sean's version could be said to be more 'film-like' and I bet you anything that the model herself would chose that one as being the most flattering, yet some people may find it unrealistically warm with overblown skin highlights. On the other hand, all the other samples before his look cold and flat which some people may prefer.

My own preference would be towards Sean's but less exaggerated, a bit more density on the skin, it's far too yellow, a bit less warm (hair and skin), and sharper in the right places.

I remember printers who went by skin values always mentioning that skin needs a bit of cyan to give it modelling and depth.

Also, maybe the original wasn't sharp in the eye area to start with, so then, no matter how much sharpening you apply, it never looks quite there.

Edward

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:03 pm »

I really enjoy comparing how we'd each process a starter image.  I think it's wonderful that they don't all come out the same.  After all, if they did all look alike, all but one of us would be out of a job, no?  And, of course, there's no one "right" way to do it -- unless we're talking about a paying job, and then it's got nothing to do with "right" and everything to do with what makes the client happy.

Fun!

eronald

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 06:56:29 pm »

I hate museums, but I go there sometimes to look at the pictures eg. portraits. And you know what ? They look very different ! It seems you can render faces with all sorts of different palettes ! Now who would have believed that ?

Edmund

I really enjoy comparing how we'd each process a starter image.  I think it's wonderful that they don't all come out the same.  After all, if they did all look alike, all but one of us would be out of a job, no?  And, of course, there's no one "right" way to do it -- unless we're talking about a paying job, and then it's got nothing to do with "right" and everything to do with what makes the client happy.

Fun!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 11:27:52 pm »

Sorry Guys for late respond but some people still party on weekends.

Tony,

I have not yet found an easy and fast solution for good PP.
From my years behind a stylist chair I took to photography one think: my ability to see what to change in a women to make her more beautiful in my eyes. We ( me and my partner/wife ) approach PP as we would if were plastic surgeons. After all we are selling every girl dream. The key is to do it as careful and as precise that if image is blown ( often ) to 40x60 you can not see any PP and you still have the perfect skin texture and not the plastic look. Any face shape changes have to be subtle enough not to alter the overall appearance.  Magazine cover image like this will take around 3-4 hours of PP. It is worth because in following week we will sell a dream to ten girls just because they seen it in the paper. If they pay the hefty premium for PS they can see the same results. We have exclusive on 3  different magazine covers  and it definitelly keeps us busy between commercial jobs.
We work with multi layers and duplicates using mostly clone tool and light brush. No magic just hard work.

Eronald,

The trend in all high end magazines now days is towards desaturated skin tones. At least that is how we see it. The weirder the better.

http://AndreNapier.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andre,
Thanks for your comments.  I see your point.  I was focusing on the photoshop
technique, but in the back of my mind I was wondering, "how did he know to do that?"
Now I have an urge to go dig up some shots of friends and see if i can figure
out how to make them look like models.  I see a long journey ahead.

I hope you give us more examples.
Tony

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2007, 02:21:15 am »

What do you all think about changing size of eyes, lips, even body parts?  This model is very pretty and it might have been just the angle, but I'd be tempted to use the liquify filter and thin her neck taking most off the left side (of the image) to make her chin stand out more.  

When I'm doing my fine art, I try not to change anything but for fashion I think this is commonplace? Making arms and legs thinner, legs longer, neck longer, eyes and breasts bigger, etc.  This is all really easy to do with photoshop and so tempting.
Rolleiflex USA

eronald

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 03:21:51 am »

This is all really easy to do with photoshop and so tempting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's stopping you ? I just wish I could draw better !

Edmund

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 11:02:07 am »

Here is something different.

Its fantasy, based on reality.

Studio shot of the trailer, landscape from my files.
Craig Lamson Photo

LA30

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:47 am »

Here is something different.

Its fantasy, based on reality.

Studio shot of the trailer, landscape from my files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like it....I wish there was a warm edge light on the back edge of trailer, it would blend better into the landscape shot.  It is so flat with the sun setting it is a little unrealistic.

Ken

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2007, 11:16:19 pm »

deleted[attachment=3373:attachment]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:17:29 pm by AndreNapier »

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2007, 12:30:20 am »

My contribution. For awhile I tended to prefer warmer pictures. I'm now going back and forth with the temp slider    It really just depends on the mood I'm going for...
As for the PP debate. I say go crazy. imagery has been idealized going back centuries. Do you really think those paintings are that "realistic". There were only a small fraction of painters who sought to render a true-to-life portrait. Most royals had their pictures fudged. It's in our nature I guess.
Just be conscious of the format. Depending on who you're shooting for dictates how much you can (or should) manipulate.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up