Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embossing stamp used on prints ?  (Read 10436 times)

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Embossing stamp used on prints ?
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:06:52 am »

Anybody uses an embossing stamp or chop stamp to sign prints with the photographers logo or name sign?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 03:16:03 pm »

Anybody uses an embossing stamp or chop stamp to sign prints with the photographers logo or name sign?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm still signing in pencil at this point, but I am tempted to try the spiffy "chop" technique illustrated in Harald Johnson's Mastering Digital Printing book. A custom-made embossed identifying symbol would be a nice touch.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 05:21:10 pm »

We use an embossing stamp made for us by "Il Papiro" in Venice. From memory it cost about $600AUD. The instrument itself is very beautiful, made of solid brass. We had to submit the design for approval by the craftsmen who make the die for approval before they would make it, and then it took some months. The problem with these classic machines is they are intended for letter thickness paper . 300gms and thicker art papers strain the neck and metal fatigue caused the neck to split after a few thousand prints. Il Papiro kindly replaced our first unit . So far , the second is holding up. For practical reasons , then, I would suggest a steel model that is made to "chop " etchings where thick paper is used. It may not be as pretty.
In theory a studio "chop" combined with the signature of the artist confers authenticity and value.
Naturally there are inferior products around whose makers have jumped to this . As a result some "chops" are worth a lot more than others. Galleries and museums are aware of this but quite often the public is taken for a ride. The same goes for so called "certificates of authenticity".
Despite all this, "chops" look nice.
Just ensure they are only applied to prints that meet the most exacting criteria, and that you are really proud of.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Avalan

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:32 pm »

I have had the same question and tried  to find the answer.

Was introduced to an Artist-printer  who has been in traditional print making for more than 30 years. Great traditional print works. He also uses his own hand made stamp to be used in traditional fine art limited edition prints. Absolutely stunning and beautiful prints and embossed stamp. He was the only one I  found in Vancouver Canada capable of doing high end handmade stamps. He will not take the stamp orders since he is busy printing and making stamps is not what he has ever offered.

Then I found another place which makes standard embossed stamps for lawyers and notary publics etc.
The full info about their company can be found at the end of this post.
The manager - Wes DePourcq - is a real gentleman and you will be surprised how nice and helpful he is .
After listening to me he asked me to bring my sample papers and the design of the stamp on a PNG file to see what he can do.  I did and we tried the samples of stamps he had on  thick Fine-Art papers. I was convinced that their standard embossed custom stamp will serve what I'm looking for. I ordered the stamp today and it will be ready in about 10 days.

So this is my suggestion to Thomas and Geoff :
Take your own design - on PNG file - and also print it in actual size on a nice paper. then take it (with your paper samples) to a local place providing standard custom embossed metal stamps and discuss your concerns and see what they have to offer.

Pretty sure it will not be as fancy as what Brian has described and not sure it will serve your purpose or not. This is just something you may want to try.

And these are the contacts for the place I have ordered mine. As mentioned ,  will see the  final result in the next 10 days, but I'm confident that  will be happy for what I have ordered. They will take international orders. Hope it helps.

Company : Hewitt's
site : geohewitt.com
Phone : (604) -294 - 6288  or (604) 294-4461
e-mail : enquiry@geohewitt.com
General manager : Wes DePourcq
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:04:58 pm by Avalan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up