Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP fixed my starwheel problem on my Z3100 today  (Read 10154 times)

Ernst Dinkla

HP fixed my starwheel problem on my Z3100 today
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 04:56:44 pm »

On the Z3100 roller marks:

If someone uses smooth paper like RC matt and gloss 99% and no matt coatings like on PhotoRag does he get the marks of the rollers on FB paper if he uses that once in a while or is it not visible ?
I wonder whether there is coating dust building up on the rollers or that the rollers get textured surfaces by coatings like with the HM art papers and transfer that texture to the softer FB papers. The roller pressure is high but that may not show on FB coating  if the rollers kept a smooth surface themselves.

One thing I have noticed is that the pressure isn't equal over all the rollers and per roller one edge has often more pressure than the other. Wear on the rolls shows that as well.

I got 5 A4 sheets of the Sihl Professional Photo Baryte Paper 290 grams Satin 4804. Warmer color than German Etching, but cooler than Arches Velin Blanc, less gloss than Innova's F type gloss. All before the print. Not enough sheets for more tests but enough to see the Z3100 issues. Will try them before the weekend. The Sihl information sheet says excellent for the Z3100, Z2100, B9180 and several Epson models but only "good" for the Epson 10600, 4000, and the Canons with Lucia pigment. That must be an ink issue. The paper stays flat while the F type curls. It measures 0.37 mm thick and the F type 0.34 mm, the last should be 10 grams heavier but I doubt that.

With this paper as well: I like to have wider choices for my customers but I doubt it will ever become a favorite for me. More a nostalgia surface and color than what I like. But if if it prints extraordinary ....

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 01:01:46 am »

Here's today's update:  
I've continued to print in an effort to get a show out the door and have managed to get a couple of flawless prints, followed by more marked prints.  Unfortunately, though, of my three non-embossed prints today, one was marred by a manufacturing defect in the paper and the other one by a dozen stray dots of ink (a la the old days of Iris prints).  HP telephone tech support had me try to clean the print head that was leaking with a coffee filter and it appears to be defective.  Ink continues to be wicked out when it should wipe clean.

I will be back on the phone with them again tomorrow, and I managed to get them the photo I posted here as a reference.  I had to take off today before we got  very far with further diagnoses.  I will hold the phone up to the printer to see if they agree that mine sounds too noisy in the starwheel assembly.

I would be incredibly frustrated right now, instead of just somewhat frustrated, if I hadn't heard today that the NY art gallery I just sent a bunch of prints to yesterday thought they looked great.  I just wish that my HP technician needed to say more than "Hi, it's Alan . . ." when he called.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 01:07:58 am »

Possible Solution:

Since my thread topic almost immediately became ironic, I'm reluctant to say that I have a fix, but it looks promising for my particular paper transport problem.

This morning's call with Tech Support provided another solution to try.  They had me pull the paper on the roll so that there was no spindle drag on the paper as it was drawn through the printer.  This evidently released enough resistance that the transport rollers (not the starwheels, I now believe) no longer embossed the paper.

More prints will tell if this proves to be a false solution to an intermittent problem, but I'm hopeful.  It means that this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the starwheel/baryta problem, but at least it may make the HP Professional Satin useable in the long run for me.

Thanks for the feedback and insight, everybody.  You might also want to look up my other thread I posted on the overspray problems with using this paper/printer combination (and perhaps others).

-Ron H.
-Ron H.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 03:23:42 am »

Here's a shot of the other side of the printhead I meant to post earlier, showing how it can build up here too.
-Ron H.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:04 pm »

Oops.  I just noticed that I posted a dirty printhead picture in the wrong thread of mine.  It has no bearing on any paper transport marks, in case you are wondering.
Nevermind . . .
-Ron H.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up