Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info  (Read 6618 times)

Mort54

• http://
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:55:24 am »

I ran across some new information (to me at least) on the soon-to-be-available Arca-Swiss Rm3d technical view camera, and I have to say it's looking more and more interesting, primarily because of an add-on electronic viewfinder (they're calling it the e-module) that provides focussing support and accomodates framing with lenses up to 210mm.

The info is still a little murky, but here's what an engineering document on the Rm3d stated about the e-module accessory (the document can be found here - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/ArcaSwiss.htm#LabelRline ):

"Subject distance is measured and displayed electronically, and there's an electronic level in addition to the classic spirit levels. The Arca Swiss R has .... multiple focus sensors, and a new variable viewer compatible with focal lengths from 24 to 210 mm....."

For those of you unfamiliar with the Rm3d, it's basically a metal plate body in the same vain as the Cambo WDS, Alpa SWA, etc. It provides rise and fall and shift when used by itself, but it can also be used as the front plate in an Arca-Swiss view camera, with bellows, to add tilt support.

It certainly sounds intriguing.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

hubell

New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:28:58 pm »

I ran across some new information (to me at least) on the soon-to-be-available Arca-Swiss Rm3d technical view camera, and I have to say it's looking more and more interesting, primarily because of an add-on electronic viewfinder (they're calling it the e-module) that provides focussing support and accomodates framing with lenses up to 210mm.

The info is still a little murky, but here's what an engineering document on the Rm3d stated about the e-module accessory (the document can be found here - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/ArcaSwiss.htm#LabelRline ):

"Subject distance is measured and displayed electronically, and there's an electronic level in addition to the classic spirit levels. The Arca Swiss R has .... multiple focus sensors, and a new variable viewer compatible with focal lengths from 24 to 210 mm....."

For those of you unfamiliar with the Rm3d, it's basically a metal plate body in the same vain as the Cambo WDS, Alpa SWA, etc. It provides rise and fall and shift when used by itself, but it can also be used as the front plate in an Arca-Swiss view camera, with bellows, to add tilt support.

It certainly sounds intriguing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I recall that it has +/- 5 deg. tilt

jklotz

• http://www.jamesklotz.com
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:17 am »

has anybody actually used this camera? I'd assume that since it is on Robert Whites product page, it is now available?

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:27:16 am »

has anybody actually used this camera? I'd assume that since it is on Robert Whites product page, it is now available?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it sounds very promising. i phoned last week with arca swiss directly, with Mr. Vogt which seems to be the product manager of the R line. Arca will deliver the first samples in October, i dont know if also the emodul.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:28:14 am »

it sounds very promising. i phoned last week with arca swiss directly, with Mr. Vogt which seems to be the product manager of the R line. Arca will deliver the first samples in October, i dont know if also the emodul.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd like to hear what, if any, advantages the Rm3D would have over a Cambo WDS.
Looks like a broader selection of usable lenses would be one main feature and per it's specs it will be a bit lighter.

Other than that, I'm seeking input.

Thanks,
Jack
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:28:50 am by Lust4Life »

david.westphal

New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:43:28 am »

I still would argue of all the potential cameras, the cambo is the weakest choice.  The arca looks promising, however, I stand by my Silvestri.

David

godtfred

New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:50:53 am »

I'd like to hear what, if any, advantages the Rm3D would have over a Cambo WDS.
Looks like a broader selection of usable lenses would be one main feature and per it's specs it will be a bit lighter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139943\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tilt with +-5 deg... Neither the Cambo or the Alpha has this.

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Mort54

New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 01:33:01 pm »

Plus you can attach an optional bellows kit and get a full blown view camera with extended movements. The "R" seems like a way to have both a small light metal plate technical camera, or a full blown view camera, depending on your needs. This degree of flexibility seems to be it's most compelling feature. The e-Module has also peaked my curiosity, probably more so than the camera itself.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:33:50 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:52:40 pm »

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139946\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Axel,

I've read in several places to avoid any camera that uses a bag bellows or like to provide tilt when shooting with high res digital backs.  Claims are is very difficult to get excellent focus across the sensor.

Make sense?
Jack

jing q

• we are super
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:16:36 pm »

Axel,

I've read in several places to avoid any camera that uses a bag bellows or like to provide tilt when shooting with high res digital backs.  Claims are is very difficult to get excellent focus across the sensor.

Make sense?
Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Someone just posted a glowing review of the Silvestri Bicam which uses a geared bellows system. I'm actually wondering why people would think a helical system would be any more accurate than a geared bellows focusing system? I'm going to try out the Silvestri system myself and see how I feel about it, but so far the people who have it seem to love it.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:29:11 pm »

Someone just posted a glowing review of the Silvestri Bicam which uses a geared bellows system. I'm actually wondering why people would think a helical system would be any more accurate than a geared bellows focusing system? I'm going to try out the Silvestri system myself and see how I feel about it, but so far the people who have it seem to love it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
if you shoot architecture or landscapes in 90% you end up with focus at infinity. its much more practical too have here a fine adjusted helical mount than bellows where you have to check focus each time.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:01:22 pm »

if you shoot architecture or landscapes in 90% you end up with focus at infinity. its much more practical too have here a fine adjusted helical mount than bellows where you have to check focus each time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The helical guys eg. Alpa point out that there is no flex in their lens mount, which in fact in the Alpa I saw was boxy and therefore very rigid. Geared and rail systems will have some give and flex that can put the system off square. Tolerances for MF WA are really low. I guess when you are doing product shoots with tilts different rules apply.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

godtfred

New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 04:30:49 am »

I've read in several places to avoid any camera that uses a bag bellows or like to provide tilt when shooting with high res digital backs.  Claims are is very difficult to get excellent focus across the sensor.
This is correct, and I experience it firsthand with my Linhof 679cs.

The reason I have difficulties getting excellent focus is mostly from difficult viewfinding on the groundglass, not a precision perspective from the geared movements. And if I use enough time to compose and correct, then the images are spot on.

Cameras using bellows are the choice for those who need movements, and I think the Rm3d will fill a gap for architectural shooters where they previously needed to use apertures causing diffraction, they can with the Rm3d get away with opening one or two stops and still get "front to back" focus.

There is little to be wanted from Arca Swiss in terms of quality and precision (i just handled a 6x9 with orbix movements yesterday) so I anticipate the Rm3d to be a well working system even if they use bellows for tilt.

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

markowich

• http://www.peter-markowich.net
New Arca-Swiss Rm3d Info
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:12:58 am »

Axel,

Make sense?
Jack

yes jack, this makes perfect sense. we tried a lot using tilt with the linhof cs 679 and the P45 but the results were a dillusion. good focusing on the level of 100% view of the files was basically impossible. i consider mechanical tilt a remnant from the film days where 'focus' was a different, much less stringent concept. in my view tilt should nowadays be realized by software. i understand that this is also the view of the ALPA managment (who produce my favorite viewcamera, the XY).
peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up