Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which papers most popular for Z3100  (Read 2751 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Which papers most popular for Z3100
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:46 am »

Greets ...

Wondering if some of you could provide me with a list of your favorite papers, what you use them for (the benefits of these papers) and why.

The reason is I am fairly new to all this and am in the process of ordering the Z3100, but am overwhelmed    with the amount of choice there is for papers. I want to buy say 5-6 including a canvas that will give me the BEST results in different circumstances, like which is best in a gallery, which is best with glass in front, or no glass - that sort of thing... Something that covers the broad range of what pro protographers and studios like, and why.

My criteria is 'HP recommended', it being HP own brand or Hahnemuhle - I am not interested in using (say) Epson papers at this point until I get my head around colors and profiles and stuff.

It would be a great help if I could get a list, of "This paper is best in these circumstances becasue..." type thing.

Much appreciated,
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:47:22 am by ThePhotoDude »

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:22:30 pm »

The question you ask is going to deluge you with even more information, much of it contradictory.  Instead of approaching it from that angle: "what do you think is best?" which may stop just short of causing a fistfight, approach it from a different angle, one eminently more practical: Obtain sample kits from top suppliers, profile them, and print your own images on them.  Use whichever one you like the best.  Along the way, you'll learn a great deal about your printer, paper and all the variations therein.

Seriously -- that's how we all got started.  
Just start printing.

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:08:20 am »

Fair point and I knew that I would get several conflicting recommendations, after all its an opinion I am after.
OK, maybe I shall re-word - Instead of recommendations could somebody please point out WHY I should use different papers, ... lets stick to facts here, then there should be little arguement?

Why should I use GLOSS, and WHEN ... what applications is is useful for and where should I NOT use it.

Same question with MATT, and SATIN, what is that anyway? How about Photorag? Why/When should I use SEMI-GLOSS? What others are there?

Even some helpful links would be helpful if you don't want to type it here.

Thanks

ternst

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:22:07 am »

Someone could write an entire book to answer your questions - in fact I think there are several on the market already. My only comment would be if you are going to limit yourself to HP and HP recommended papers only then you will be missing a great deal of the best papers on the market. On the other hand if you just stuck with these you would have many choices of fine papers that would suit you well. The question is sort of like what candy bar is your favorite - they have a shelf full of them in the store for a reason...

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:34 am »

Fair point and I knew that I would get several conflicting recommendations, after all its an opinion I am after.
OK, maybe I shall re-word - Instead of recommendations could somebody please point out WHY I should use different papers, ... lets stick to facts here, then there should be little arguement?

Why should I use GLOSS, and WHEN ... what applications is is useful for and where should I NOT use it.

Same question with MATT, and SATIN, what is that anyway? How about Photorag? Why/When should I use SEMI-GLOSS? What others are there?

Even some helpful links would be helpful if you don't want to type it here.

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Digital-Printing-Second-Process/dp/1592004318/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9554969-1955058?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190030380&sr=1-1]Harald Johnson - Mastering Digital Printing[/url]

Amadou Diallo - Mastering Digital B&W Printing

Uwe Steinmueller - The Art of Digital Fine Art Printing
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:05:57 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:39:01 pm »

Greets ...

Wondering if some of you could provide me with a list of your favorite papers, what you use them for (the benefits of these papers) and why.

The reason is I am fairly new to all this and am in the process of ordering the Z3100, but am overwhelmed    with the amount of choice there is for papers. I want to buy say 5-6 including a canvas that will give me the BEST results in different circumstances, like which is best in a gallery, which is best with glass in front, or no glass - that sort of thing... Something that covers the broad range of what pro protographers and studios like, and why.

My criteria is 'HP recommended', it being HP own brand or Hahnemuhle - I am not interested in using (say) Epson papers at this point until I get my head around colors and profiles and stuff.

It would be a great help if I could get a list, of "This paper is best in these circumstances becasue..." type thing.

Much appreciated,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139388\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, I'll bite. Everyone has their own criteria and your mileage may vary. But for me...

1) HP's professional satin photo paper. Excellent deep black, bright colors, and an unobtrusive surface texture compared to other "satins". I find it excellent for neutral to slightly cool B&W prints that benefit from the very dark D-max.

2) Hahnemühle Photo rag satin. A bit of an unusual paper, in that it looks a lot like standard HPR until you print on it. Once ink hits the page, it takes on a subtle satin sheen that varies with ink load. For black & white prints there is a subtle gloss differential in the shadows and 3/4 tones that increases apparent tonal separation, improving perceived shadow detail. Very cool. For color prints, blue skies take on an almost crystalline appearance that can add something to the right image. Probably an acquired taste, but it's my favorite paper.

3) HP's Hahnemühle smooth fine art. To my eyes it looks a lot like Epson's ultrasmooth fine art paper, which is a good thing. Slightly warm paper base, very nice cotton "hand feel" and weight. Some folks have griped about poor reproduction of vivid reds on this paper, but it's good enough for the landscapes I print unless you demand unrealistic screaming neon red fall foliage.

4) Epson premium luster. I know, some folks don't like the surface stippling. And it's from Epson. But it profiled just fine with the on-board spectro, and I get a deep black and good color gamut. And it's cheaper than most of the alternatives for color printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up