Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 1.2 Update  (Read 6784 times)

Brian Patterson

• http://www.brianrpatterson.com
Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 1.2 Update
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:21:14 am »

This just in...

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 1.2 update includes these enhancements:

• Corrections for several issues including XMP auto-write performance, Windows Vistaᆴ grid display errors, and noise reduction for Bayer patterned sensors
• Additional camera support for the Canon EOS 40D, Fuji FinePix IS-1, Olympus EVOLT E-510, Panasonic DMC-FZ18, and more

Lightroom 1.2 Update for PC

Lightroom 1.2 Update for Macintosh

Mule
[span style='color:#993300']Brian Pat

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:06 am »

Lightroom 1.2 includes corrections for the following issues:

* Lightroom 1.1 catalogs with user-specified sort order could not be imported into another catalog
    * Lightroom 1.1 for Windows could at times display gray boxes instead of image thumbnails
    * The preference to write XMP metadata automatically in Lightroom 1.1 could attempt to write metadata indefinitely for offline images causing significant performance problems
    * Images could be dropped from the Quick Collection upon reordering of the source folder
    * Catalogs could not be exported to drives smaller than 250MB
    * The Web Module was not accessible in Lightroom 1.1 on the Macintosh platform when Lightroom was installed on case-sensitive volumes such as the Case Sensitive HFS+ (Journaled) volume
    * Errors occurred exporting to a Linux SMB network volume
    * Scroll position in the grid view was not maintained when changing the view option using the J shortcut key
    * The tokens for image number and image count were not displaying properly in the Slideshow module
    * The metadata panel could display incorrectly on Windows
    * Slideshows on the Macintosh platform did not display properly when a 256MB ATI graphics card was connected to 30 " LCD
    * The Lightroom 1.1 Web module export did not position the copyright tag in the same location displayed in the preview
    * The auto-eject functionality on Windows ejected the card reader device in addition to the card
    * Noise reduction adjustment for all cameras with Bayer Pattern sensor:  The base point noise reduction applied at the demosaic stage of raw processing has been reduced.  The resulting effect is that images with zero luminance noise reduction applied in Lightroom 1.2 will contain more noise than the identical settings in Lightroom 1.1 but less noise than identical settings in Lightroom 1.0.
    * 1:1 previews were not discarded according to the timing set in the Lightroom preferences
    * 1:1 previews are not built for an entire set of images when requested after import
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:16:41 am »

* Noise reduction adjustment for all cameras with Bayer Pattern sensor:  The base point noise reduction applied at the demosaic stage of raw processing has been reduced.  The resulting effect is that images with zero luminance noise reduction applied in Lightroom 1.2 will contain more noise than the identical settings in Lightroom 1.1 but less noise than identical settings in Lightroom 1.0.

Another change influencing base adjustments and potentially people's workflows?
Nikos

macgyver

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:49:35 am »

Another change influencing base adjustments and potentially people's workflows?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hopefully for the better; I''m updating now.

dilip

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:56:43 am »

Lightroom 1.2 includes corrections for the following issues:

* Catalogs could not be exported to drives smaller than 250MB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right... because there are so many photographers using 200MB drives.  Seriously, who found this bug, and why do they care about fixing it?

--dilip

Arnaud73

• http://www.starway.org/gallery/
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:37 pm »

And this time, they delivered the FR and DE versions at the same time than the US version ! ;-)

stever

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:34:31 pm »

will everything developed in 1.1 now have "slightly" more luminance noise in 1.2?

knweiss

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:42:08 pm »

And this time, they delivered the FR and DE versions at the same time than the US version ! ;-)

I had an English Lightroom 1.1 (on purpose!) on a German Windows XP. After the upgrade to 1.2 I now have a German Lightroom 1.2 even though I've selected "English" during the installation.      

I'm wondering how I get this fixed (without running into license problems)?

knweiss

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 01:03:36 pm »

I had an English Lightroom 1.1 (on purpose!) on a German Windows XP. After the upgrade to 1.2 I now have a German Lightroom 1.2 even though I've selected "English" during the installation.       

I'm wondering how I get this fixed (without running into license problems)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, I've found a fix: In C:\Programme\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2\Resources\ I had to move the original directory "de" anway and rename "en" to "de.  

Obviously, Lightroom now automatically selects the language based on the OS language without any preference setting to change the language afterwards or respecting the language used before the update! I'm sure this is going to annoy of lots of people because many prefer the English over the localized version.

JayS

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 01:40:30 pm »

will everything developed in 1.1 now have "slightly" more luminance noise in 1.2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Had the same question.  I suppose there would have to be some difference in library items already done between 1.1 and 1.2 if noise was an area that was originally tweaked?  

Jay S.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:22:01 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about "everything" but the implication of the Release Notes is that if you have a RAW image whose Luminance Noise setting is 0, and you convert it twice -- once with LR 1.1 and once with LR 1.2, the LR 1.2 will exhibit slightly more luma noise.

I just took three test images, one at ISO 800, two at ISO 1600 (canon 5D and 1D II images) and did a 3-way test ... ACR 3.7 in CS 2, ACR 4.1 in CS 3, and ACR 4.2 in CS 3. Same RAW converter settings for all three. Luma set to 0, all sharpening disabled.

The differences between 3.7 and 4.x in noise are pretty clear. 4.x exhibits clearly less noise, but leaves a more discernable visible structure which has been the topic of much discussion among some users. The differences between 4.1 and 4.2 (and for LR, 1.1 and 1.2) that I saw were very, very slight to my eye. There is a bit more luma noise in 4.2. Frankly I doubt I could see a difference in the print. It also depends on how sharpening is applied.

YMMV ...
Eric Chan

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 03:01:26 pm »

Before installing the update I exported an ISO400 image with 0 luminance noise reduction. Exported again after update and at 200% I couldn't see any difference at all. Maybe it's more apparent at higher ISOs
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:58:26 pm by timhurst »

Arnaud73

• http://www.starway.org/gallery/
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 05:26:38 pm »

Okay, I've found a fix: In C:\Programme\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2\Resources\ I had to move the original directory "de" anway and rename "en" to "de.   

Obviously, Lightroom now automatically selects the language based on the OS language without any preference setting to change the language afterwards or respecting the language used before the update! I'm sure this is going to annoy of lots of people because many prefer the English over the localized version.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's one solution, I think I've read somewhere that LR uses the language set in the advanced settings of the regional control panel.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 06:01:49 pm »

Right... because there are so many photographers using 200MB drives.  Seriously, who found this bug, and why do they care about fixing it?

--dilip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
because some need to work with portable drives most of which are smaller:)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 08:05:30 pm »

* Noise reduction adjustment for all cameras with Bayer Pattern sensor:  The base point noise reduction applied at the demosaic stage of raw processing has been reduced.  The resulting effect is that images with zero luminance noise reduction applied in Lightroom 1.2 will contain more noise than the identical settings in Lightroom 1.1 but less noise than identical settings in Lightroom 1.0.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess that this is targetting the painterly effect that many users saw when converting higher iso images in LR 1.1. I had personnally noticed a light difference when converting Mamiya ZD files as well.

It is probably possible to get the same result as 1.1 by just increasing a bit the noise reduction.

I personnally welcome this enhancement, it is always possible to do more noise reduction later, but the information lost is lost forever.

Regards,
Bernard

PeterBCarter

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 06:33:59 pm »

Right... because there are so many photographers using 200MB drives.  Seriously, who found this bug, and why do they care about fixing it?

--dilip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did every time I tried to put a pic on an old 128mb CF to insert into a printer that was not connected to mine. Really annoying and *really* glad it's fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up