Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any trick to prevent nozzles from clogging up?  (Read 7174 times)

marimagen

Any trick to prevent nozzles from clogging up?
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:48:07 pm »

Is there anything I can do to prevent nozzles from getting plugged up when I am not using my Epson 2200 for a few days or weeks. I had to go away for more time than expected and when I returned all seven nozzles were totally clogged up. I had to service the printer because I could not print at all and the head cleaning command was of no use (I was getting a blank test sheet anyway) . What a pain!

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:56:53 pm »

Is there anything I can do to prevent nozzles from getting plugged up when I am not using my Epson 2200 for a few days or weeks. I had to go away for more time than expected and when I returned all seven nozzles were totally clogged up. I had to service the printer because I could not print at all and the head cleaning command was of no use (I was getting a blank test sheet anyway) . What a pain!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Turn the printer off so that the print heads return to the capping station.  Try to keep the humidity in the room high enough so that's not the issue.  The drier the climate the more clogs.
Regards,
Ron

Bob Walters

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:33:22 am »

Is there anything I can do to prevent nozzles from getting plugged up when I am not using my Epson 2200 for a few days or weeks. I had to go away for more time than expected and when I returned all seven nozzles were totally clogged up. ................................ What a pain!

It's going to be hard for me not sound like a smart A$$ here, but after using Epsons for almost 25 years I finally made the switch to HP.  I'm quite sure I pumped more Epson ink overboard than ever went onto my keeper prints.  As soon as I bought my first Epson color printer, I started fighting constant clogging problems.  This has happened with EVERY Epson I've owned, which must be 15 or more.

A couple of years ago I got an HP 300 and recently sold that and bought an HP Z3100.  Neither has ever clogged even after weeks of sitting idle.

I know Epson is working on the problem and some of their printers are better than others.  I'm not saying I'll never go back to Epson, but I can say I'm MUCH happier with my HP printers.

My only suggestion is to be sure you have plenty of ink on hand.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:33:52 am by Bob Walters »
Bob

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 07:05:20 am »

Keep a small humidifier close to the printer.
Eric Chan

marimagen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:08:49 pm »

Thanks to both of you. Would you believe that the repair man told me exactly the same thing: switch to HP!

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:14:17 pm »

"Use it loose it"

or...

The more you use the printer the less likely you are to have clogs. If it sits for a week you are more likely to have clogs. If it gets used every few days, the number of clogs are diminished. Aside from that this ink set and that printer results in clogs from time to time.

Julian Mussi
Spectraflow
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

sanderle

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:04:15 pm »

I just had to send my 2200 in to be refurbished, due to clogging.  For those of us that don't have daily printing needs, is there a good test pattern that would use all of the ink cartridges?  Something similar to the check nozzle pattern, but solid.  Printing this every couple days would probably help.

I was actually considering upgrading to a 3800 if the printer was totally dead.  Does that do any better of a job when you are not printing daily?  Are there other printers that would?

picnic

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »

I just had to send my 2200 in to be refurbished, due to clogging.  For those of us that don't have daily printing needs, is there a good test pattern that would use all of the ink cartridges?  Something similar to the check nozzle pattern, but solid.  Printing this every couple days would probably help.

I was actually considering upgrading to a 3800 if the printer was totally dead.  Does that do any better of a job when you are not printing daily?  Are there other printers that would?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Much much better (though I have to admit I never had the major problems the OP is having--minor clogs, often weeks in between printing with the 2200 over several years).  However, I've had the 3800 since December 06 and haven't had the first clog.  It often sits (turned off) for several weeks--then I print a good bit, turned off again.  Its been that way all year.  I do run a nozzle test each time I print--but not the first clog.  I've been just really happy with it.  I've had a lot of Epsons--the last larger formats, 1280 (some major clogs), 2200--I would say really more minor clogs and now the 3800--I can see improvement with each, but the 3800 has been nothing but a pleasure to use.

Diane

Bill0722

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 06:42:03 pm »

I just had to send my 2200 in to be refurbished, due to clogging.  For those of us that don't have daily printing needs, is there a good test pattern that would use all of the ink cartridges?  Something similar to the check nozzle pattern, but solid.  Printing this every couple days would probably help.

I was actually considering upgrading to a 3800 if the printer was totally dead.  Does that do any better of a job when you are not printing daily?  Are there other printers that would?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All I have is small JPEG photo, with good skintones and a nice sky and some magenta tones in the clothing. I surround this picture with 4 solid bars of black, red, yellow and blue. The whole thing is about 2 inches square. I have a script that prints this each morning. Uses hardly any ink and I've had no clogs.,

wsolum

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:30:43 pm »

sanderle,Dec 31 2007, 11:04 AM
"I just had to send my 2200 in to be refurbished, due to clogging."

How much did the refurb cost?  I gave my 2200 to my brother when I couldn't clear a clog and he's not had any luck either.

sanderle

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:14:59 pm »

sanderle,Dec 31 2007, 11:04 AM
"I just had to send my 2200 in to be refurbished, due to clogging."

How much did the refurb cost?  I gave my 2200 to my brother when I couldn't clear a clog and he's not had any luck either.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was quoted $259 for a complete refurbish by Epson.  I'm willing to try that first, in leiu of having to buy another printer.

alain

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:17 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi have a look at : [a href=\"http://www.inksupply.net/knowledge.cfm?action=show&kbID=65]using all inkts : purge.zip[/url]

You can also search for "Arthur Entlich" who has info how to solve clogged nozzles (beyond the normal cleaning cycles).  BTW.  He strongly advises against : pumping some cleaning fluid through the head or dismantling the head --> big chance for problems.  (Use info at you're own risk.)

Alain
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:09:41 am by alain »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 11:45:22 am »

Hi have a look at : using all inkts : purge.zip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164367\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The file "purge.zip" from Inksupply.com includes files for printing 4, 6, 7, or 8 colors, as well as single colors by name, in case you have one nozzle with a persistent problem. For a 2200 you want to use the 7-color file to start (the 8-color I assume is for printers with both the MK and PK cartridges installed).

I have used this a few times and found it helpful. I probably wouldn't use it every day, since it uses up quite a bit of ink, but maybe once a week. You could also customize it in Photoshop (or any other image editor) to crop the color patches to a smaller size so they use less ink.

I am away from my Epson 2200 sometimes for three to six weeks, and I have only had minor clogginf problems when I use it again. My house has both temperature and humidity control, summer and winter, which probably helps.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sanderle

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 01:20:29 pm »

Hi have a look at : using all inkts : purge.zip

This is exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

stevenh

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:04 am »

i had the same problems with my 2200, 2400, 7500.  i tended to have clogging problems with my less expensive photostylus and the 900 series as well.

it is one thing that helped me to decide between a large format hp and an epson. i went with the hp 3100 only one clog and that was compensated for automatically by the printer.

i have had it sitting idle for 3 to 4 weeks occasionally. no problem whether i keep it in standby or shut it off.

now if hp will finish off the roller mark problem, i'm set.

AlanS

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:12 pm »

I live in sothern california, i have had a 2200 for 2 1/2 years or so. Clogging has not been a major issue, ( heck not even a minor one). One thing i do if i remember is run a nozzle check from time to time. It runs ink thru all the nozzles and if their is a issue it is spotted early.
Pages: [1]   Go Up