Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with cleaning  (Read 12149 times)

cowboy

Help with cleaning
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:45:39 am »

Can anyone tell me how to clear debris in the form of specks and fiber from my Canon 5D view finder. This all accumulated on my last outing in a fairly dusty environment and my attempts to blow it out with the Rocket failed. I am not sure exactly where the stuff is mirror, focusing glass or the frosted glass. I changed lenses often and probably introduced this problem due to my own careless handling. Part of learning I guess.

francois

Help with cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:20:08 am »

Can anyone tell me how to clear debris in the form of specks and fiber from my Canon 5D view finder. This all accumulated on my last outing in a fairly dusty environment and my attempts to blow it out with the Rocket failed. I am not sure exactly where the stuff is mirror, focusing glass or the frosted glass. I changed lenses often and probably introduced this problem due to my own careless handling. Part of learning I guess.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There's a thread on DPReview about cleaning the 5D viewfinder prism ([a href=\"http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=20218110]here[/url]). Unfortunately, images seem to be unavailalble. The procedure is not for the technically challenged users. You might want to contact the original poster to get the images.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:21:02 am by francois »
Francois

cowboy

Help with cleaning
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:25:26 am »

There's a thread on DPReview about cleaning the 5D viewfinder prism (here). Unfortunately, images seem to be unavailalble. The procedure is not for the technically challenged users. You might want to contact the original poster to get the images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you francois. I read the thread. Sounds like a little too much for me. I wonder if there is some way to get this service?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Help with cleaning
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:04 am »

If the dust is in the viewfinder and blowing on the prism doesn't dislodge it, don't mess with it. I's not going to show up in the photos, and trying to remove it will probably damage the camera unless you know exactly what you're doing. It isn't going to hurt anything being there.

francois

Help with cleaning
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:03:16 am »

I second Jonathan's suggestion. If you really want to get a clean viewfinder then send your camera to Canon. They'll do the job for you but I have no idea of the cost involved.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:08:09 am by francois »
Francois

cowboy

Help with cleaning
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:34:31 pm »

I second Jonathan's suggestion. If you really want to get a clean viewfinder then send your camera to Canon. They'll do the job for you but I have no idea of the cost involved.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you gentlemen, I will take your advice and not add to any damage I may have caused up to this point.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Help with cleaning
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 04:30:51 pm »

Thank you gentlemen, I will take your advice and not add to any damage I may have caused up to this point.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Cowboy,

I just ran across this post.  I also had the same problem awhile back, and then re-assembled the orginal poster's instructions and re-posted them:

[a href=\"http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/]http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/[/url]

It is not terribly difficult for those who have a DIY / Handyman attitude.  Read thru the thorough instructions first and then you should be able to decide for yourself.  I found it gratifying to do the job myself, and it certainly is pleasant looking thru a clean viewfinder.

Ralph

cowboy

Help with cleaning
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 01:37:31 am »

Howdy reburns
Thank you for the details. The pictures sure helped. Before you sent your response I did remove the focus screen. What appeared to be dirt was actually a scratch or two and some debris. I somehow scratched the screen with the end of the blower but I really don't know how. The end of the blower seems much softer than the focus screen. I have ordered a replacement. Some lessons are hard.
Thanks again.
Cowboy

sposch

Help with cleaning
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:16 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the "send to Canon" method with poor results. It went to the Calgary depot which was overloaded with work so they forwarded it to Toronto but it never made it there. 10 weeks later I received a new 5D which has more dust in it than the first one. This "cleaning" was done under warranty and cost me $30 for shipping.

Lesson learned... I now ignore the dust in the viewfinder as it only affects the camera resale value, not the images.

Steve.

cowboy

Help with cleaning
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 09:58:46 am »

I tried the "send to Canon" method with poor results. It went to the Calgary depot which was overloaded with work so they forwarded it to Toronto but it never made it there. 10 weeks later I received a new 5D which has more dust in it than the first one. This "cleaning" was done under warranty and cost me $30 for shipping.

Lesson learned... I now ignore the dust in the viewfinder as it only affects the camera resale value, not the images.

Steve.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hear that!

francois

Help with cleaning
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:39:51 am »

Steve.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not surprised to tell you the truth. I've come to the conclusion that sending your camera to Canon service doesn't mean that it will come back clean.

A friend of mine just sent his 5D to clean the sensor and viewfinder... Sensor came back almost clean and the viewfinder was just as dirty as before. Total cost was CHF 300.00 (around US$250) and it took 3 weeks.

Francois

marcmccalmont

Help with cleaning
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 04:44:43 pm »

A couple of times a year I clean my 5D viewfinder as follows

1. blow out mirror box
2. mirror lock up (sensor clean) blow out mirror box and sensor
3. clean sensor, arctic butterfly then swabs and solution
4. drop mirror and use the previously used sensor swab and solution to clean mirror
5. drop focusing screen, hold edges and blow off both sides, clean both sides with sensor swab and solution
5. blow off bottom of pentaprism, clean with sensor swab and solution (handle of swab is bent so you can reach.
6. reassemble focusing screen
7. install lens
8. clean outer viewfinder with q tip and solution
9. test and repeat steps as necessary

visible dust makes good cleaning solutions
smear away
sensor clean
lens clean

Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up