Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shall I start out with Photoshop CS2 or CS3?  (Read 3577 times)

The View

Shall I start out with Photoshop CS2 or CS3?
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:31:13 pm »

I did a search, and found several comments of photographers mentioning bugs that keep them from working with CS3, so some of them go back to using CS2.

Well, as soon as I get my new intel iMac (matte display), I'll get Photoshop.

I guess CS3 would be great to have as an Intel native application. Also, the learning curve is steep enough, and to learn first one version, then the other, sounds like using up time one could spend shooting...

I personally tend to get CS3 right away and ride out the bugs (but, again, I am showing courage without knowing their size...  )

Or do you think it would be better to buy CS2, wait until the bugs are sorted out, and then upgrade?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

picnic

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:55:35 pm »

I did a search, and found several comments of photographers mentioning bugs that keep them from working with CS3, so some of them go back to using CS2.

Well, as soon as I get my new intel iMac (matte display), I'll get Photoshop.

I guess CS3 would be great to have as an Intel native application. Also, the learning curve is steep enough, and to learn first one version, then the other, sounds like using up time one could spend shooting...

I personally tend to get CS3 right away and ride out the bugs (but, again, I am showing courage without knowing their size...  )

Or do you think it would be better to buy CS2, wait until the bugs are sorted out, and then upgrade?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not on a Mac, but if I was buying my first version, no doubt it would be PSCS3--I love it and I've been using PS since about 3.  I have no problems with it particularly and can't really think of any I've had.  I used the beta--there was some problem in cleaning up after that for installation of the full version.  Perhaps that's what you've read.  I wouldn't go backwards---this has so much to offer and if you shoot in RAW--ACR 4.1 is terrific.

Diane

The View

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:03:59 am »

I'm not on a Mac, but if I was buying my first version, no doubt it would be PSCS3--I love it and I've been using PS since about 3.  I have no problems with it particularly and can't really think of any I've had.  I used the beta--there was some problem in cleaning up after that for installation of the full version.  Perhaps that's what you've read.  I wouldn't go backwards---this has so much to offer and if you shoot in RAW--ACR 4.1 is terrific.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So it was only the switching from CS2 to CS3 that had the problem.

There were also some angry reviews on Amazon.com about bugs.

Actually, I already work with Lightroom, so I practically have ACR 4.1.

But I'm looking forward to pull images more into what I had in mind when I took them - and beyond the factual conditions at shooting time.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

picnic

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:29:22 am »

So it was only the switching from CS2 to CS3 that had the problem.

There were also some angry reviews on Amazon.com about bugs.

Actually, I already work with Lightroom, so I practically have ACR 4.1.

But I'm looking forward to pull images more into what I had in mind when I took them - and beyond the factual conditions at shooting time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139068\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, ACR 4.1 and LR are the same--in fact, IMO, LR (develop module) has a bit more to offer (I have both also and use them in a hybrid workflow).  

No, its not the switch from CS2 to CS3---there was a beta version out of CS3 and when you uninstalled it to prepare for the final version, there were some installation problems.  If you never had the beta, I doubt you would have any problems.  As far as CS3---I have had no problems at all on a PC used every day since it came out.

Diane

francois

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:01 am »

...Well, as soon as I get my new intel iMac (matte display), I'll get Photoshop....

Only CS 3 runs natively on an Intel powered Mac! If you use CS 2, it'll be much slower.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:06:13 am by francois »
Francois

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:33:12 am »

As mentioned earlier, the BIGGEST bug with CS3 was with it's installation on machines of people who had used the beta version.
If you did not use the beta version then you will not encounter these problems.
Get CS3.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:00:47 pm »

I never used the beta version, but I've had a host of annoying bugs with CS3 (and had none with CS2).   Perhaps it's because my PC is 3 or 4 years old, but when I load CS3 about half the time I get warning messages that it couldn't load some things called "FastCore" and "MMXCore" (if I remember their exact names correctly?), and, when I get into CS3, it sometimes (not always) goes into a weird mode where the cursor flickers rapidly and I can't get it to click on many things.  Often I can't open Bridge, or open files from the "recent files" list; when I try, nothing happens.  Closing and restarting CS3 sometimes helps.  Rebooting sometimes helps.  The problems seem to come & go randomly, and CS3 is unusable about half the times I open it.  In the meantime, I've gone back to using CS2.

If anyone here has any suggestions to fix it, I'd be happy to hear them.  Otherwise, I plan to continue using CS2 until I get a new PC (which is probably pretty soon, driven mostly by the CS3 problems).

I also find that CS3 runs much slower than CS2 on my PC.  Perhaps because it's not loading the FastCore and MMXCore routines...?

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up