Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend Backpack case for MF System  (Read 5840 times)

jonstewart

Recommend Backpack case for MF System
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:59:59 pm »

Hi all

When working away from the studio, what do you use for transport? I'm both thinking of what could be used to and from car, and what you might use to backpack your stuff 'off piste' for landscape work. (What did Ansel Adams use?? ..two assistants    )

Equipment is Mamiya 645 based, with a leaf or Phase one back (Have yet to buy the back!)

All replies gratefully received.
Thanks
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:27:55 pm »

I use the f64 for my hasselblad H2, leaf back, lenses and accessories. Inexpensive, and wears well. I have tried a half dozen or so backpacks and this is my absolute favorite,

Hi all

When working away from the studio, what do you use for transport? I'm both thinking of what could be used to and from car, and what you might use to backpack your stuff 'off piste' for landscape work. (What did Ansel Adams use?? ..two assistants    )

Equipment is Mamiya 645 based, with a leaf or Phase one back (Have yet to buy the back!)

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ternst

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:16:50 pm »

I will second the f64 - their largest backpack. It is something like 5-6 pounds lighter than a LowePro empty. I've used them for years, only the current one I have is actually falling apart and I can't seem to locate f64 anymore to send it back for repair - does anyone have a web page or phone number for them? Another nice feature of the f64 backpacks is that their waist belt actually fits around your waist instead of around your belly, and you can remove it if needed (the belt, not your belly)...

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:43 pm »

The question needs more careful definition??

DO you walk and shoot

work in a secure zone etc

I use a billingham bag, because I can shoot and move (h1 3 lenses)

A second billingham on the other shoulder has Qflash and turbo -PWs mean I can give that bag to someone else for a bit of off camera flash

It is a killer.

But you have to put a rucksack down to access it

and if you pick it up open....

Billinghams dont need closing unless you are climbing a ladder ect because deep

Shooting near car / with assistant - pelicases ?

Hiking - rucksack ?

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:35:56 am »

Hi all

When working away from the studio, what do you use for transport? I'm both thinking of what could be used to and from car, and what you might use to backpack your stuff 'off piste' for landscape work. (What did Ansel Adams use?? ..two assistants    )

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

for solo work on the move, no assistants.. I use a combination of a kata 103 rucksack ( has laptop compartment and you can attach small tripod on side, good rain cover too)
and a front kata torso sling - this set up allows both hands free.
if I've got to take lights and grip.. then I use pelicans and dollies..and assistants..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:43:30 am by paulmoorestudio »

jonstewart

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:54:33 am »

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I don't need to shoot on the move with the MF system, and am happy to set down rucksack, and then setup and shoot. I do appreciate the different requirements of each. Sorry I failed to be more specific.

Must look a the Billinghams and the Kata's, and the f64.

I think I am going to have to invest in Peli's (or competitors version - any comments on those?) AS WELL, as a back packable system. It's amazing how the cost of doing photography can mount up on the ancillary equipment!

Thanks again everybody, and any more comments are most welcome.
Jon Stewart

jonstewart

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:59:48 am »

... Another nice feature of the f64 backpacks is that their waist belt actually fits around your waist instead of around your belly, and you can remove it if needed (the belt, not your belly)...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I actually do need to remove the belly as well!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:00:22 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:05:26 pm »

Purely for the camera gear..i.e. no lights etc..my dakine sequence takes my 500 hasselblad and two lenses (three at a squeeze) plus my 5d and one zoom lens with all film, spare film back, hoods, meters, cards, batteries, etc etc, and the tripod fits securely and quickly into the axe slot on the side.
The top and back leaves room for food, maps, jacket and other stuff.
This has all gone up mountians in switzerland and wales in the past few weeks with no problems and the fact you open it up from the back means setting it down on muddy, snowy, (and even copper stained rocky ground!) etc is no problem.

Certainly worth a look...and its good for skiing with too!

Marc
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:06:36 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

jonstewart

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:49:49 pm »

Purely for the camera gear..i.e. no lights etc..my dakine sequence takes my 500 hasselblad and two lenses (three at a squeeze) plus my 5d and one zoom lens with all film, spare film back, hoods, meters, cards, batteries, etc etc, and the tripod fits securely and quickly into the axe slot on the side.
The top and back leaves room for food, maps, jacket and other stuff.
This has all gone up mountians in switzerland and wales in the past few weeks with no problems and the fact you open it up from the back means setting it down on muddy, snowy, (and even copper stained rocky ground!) etc is no problem.

Certainly worth a look...and its good for skiing with too!

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will be having a look at this one as well... Thanks Marc
Jon Stewart

MarkKay

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 03:46:40 pm »

I  use their large backpack.. it is not their largest. I actually have the larger one too but have not used it yet but may sell it because i am not sure i can handle more weight. The side containers are very useful and i usually reserve one for a water bottle if hiking.  I have two accessory side packs that i can hook up as needed.  
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9169...pack_Gray_.html

I can fit my H2, leaf back, all my filters, extra batteries, multiple lenses and hoods, and accessories.  I am not that tall and i agree the waist belt on this backpack is helpful.   I can leave my h2, back, and 50-110 or any other lens i have attached so i can quickly take off the pack lay on ground and start shooting.  

I will second the f64 - their largest backpack. It is something like 5-6 pounds lighter than a LowePro empty. I've used them for years, only the current one I have is actually falling apart and I can't seem to locate f64 anymore to send it back for repair - does anyone have a web page or phone number for them? Another nice feature of the f64 backpacks is that their waist belt actually fits around your waist instead of around your belly, and you can remove it if needed (the belt, not your belly)...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jonstewart

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 04:17:50 pm »

I  use their large backpack.. it is not their largest. I actually have the larger one too but have not used it yet but may sell it because i am not sure i can handle more weight. The side containers are very useful and i usually reserve one for a water bottle if hiking.  I have two accessory side packs that i can hook up as needed. 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9169...pack_Gray_.html

I can fit my H2, leaf back, all my filters, extra batteries, multiple lenses and hoods, and accessories.  I am not that tall and i agree the waist belt on this backpack is helpful.   I can leave my h2, back, and 50-110 or any other lens i have attached so i can quickly take off the pack lay on ground and start shooting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's the build quality like? I can't find any detailed photos here in UK to get an idea.
Jon Stewart

MarkKay

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 10:57:39 pm »

It is solid but I  do not think it is as tough as a lowepro trekker but i have carried mine around, in rain, and snow.. It has held up well but i do not use it on a daily basis --- only when i travel with my gear.

What's the build quality like? I can't find any detailed photos here in UK to get an idea.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jonstewart

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 12:40:06 pm »

It is solid but I  do not think it is as tough as a lowepro trekker but i have carried mine around, in rain, and snow.. It has held up well but i do not use it on a daily basis --- only when i travel with my gear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'm beginning to lean toward the big Kata bag (502)
Jon Stewart

LA30

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:22 pm »

I really like these bags.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I like a backpack as it is easy to carry and hike about, but it doesn't offer a lot of protection.  I like a roller for protection.

Ken

jonstewart

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

I really like these bags.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I like a backpack as it is easy to carry and hike about, but it doesn't offer a lot of protection.  I like a roller for protection.

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those look interesting, thanks Ken.
Jon Stewart

TJ Asher

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 12:54:53 pm »

I think I am going to have to invest in Peli's (or competitors version - any comments on those?)

I cannot speak about competitors to Pelican cases but I can say that Pelican cases do, in fact, float when filled with gear. And yes, the gear stays dry. (Please don't ask. )

Todd

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 11:48:49 am »

Hi,

For once I am in complete agreement with SM Moore! Billinghams are the best! Once you have used them, you will never want to use anything else. I stuff all my mamiya (zd  camera ) goods in their rucksack, with 5 lenses, spotmeter, filters etc. The shoulder bags are great and on some of them you can add a harness for backpacking.

Regards, Ivan

jonstewart

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 12:41:57 pm »

Hi,

For once I am in complete agreement with SM Moore! Billinghams are the best! Once you have used them, you will never want to use anything else. I stuff all my mamiya (zd  camera ) goods in their rucksack, with 5 lenses, spotmeter, filters etc. The shoulder bags are great and on some of them you can add a harness for backpacking.

Regards, Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Ivan. I must look at them for a suitable shoulder bag for the Mamiya. My Lowepro reporter 400 seems to have a lot of canon gear stuck in it  

As regards backpack, I've gone initially for a Kata 502: Seems to be very deep and thus easy to access, or to place lenses vertically rather than horizontally. Still need to get something else to store reserve / backup equipment when shooting out of the studio.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Up