Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watercolour paper on z3100  (Read 2470 times)

Harry Carpenter

Watercolour paper on z3100
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:51:16 am »

I have been asked to reproduce some artwork on a watercolour style inkjet paper.
The HP is the obvious choice but not at the price it comes in at for this job.
There are two which would fit the bill:
These are all for A3 sheets as rolls at this point would not be viable.
Epson watercolour paper at 190gsm £20 +vat
Hahnemuhle Albrecht Durer at 210 gsm £30+vat
Hahnemuhle watercolour at 210 gsm £50 +vat
HP watercolour at 210 gsm £60 +vat
Has anyone used any of these or can recommend another type and given that the last three are the same weight are they actually similar papers?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:54:02 am by Harry Carpenter »

Bob Walters

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:06:33 am »

I have been asked to reproduce some artwork on a watercolour style inkjet paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm in the US, so my normal suppliers are not going to be the same as yours and the relative pricing structure is likely to be quite different as well, but I'll give you some observations.

I've found significant differences in the dozen or so watercolor papers I've tested, mostly related to look and feel, but also handling.  I would say these differences are much larger than the differences in actual image quality.

For example, colors range from ice-box white to nearly cream.  Sometimes the sellers description is good; sometimes it's not.

Prices seem to be all over the place and prices for the same paper vary widely between on-line vendors. In my experience, more expensive paper produces better overall results, but not in every case.  Sometimes buying a very expensive paper produces only a tiny increase in quality.

Pure cotton demands a premium price, but don't think it's necessary for each and every job.  

Some papers handle well, while others tend to dimple or crease quite easily.  Heavier weight or using 100% cotton helps in this regard, but not always.  Because of how I sell my prints, handling is important to me.

The most significant difference I've found relates to texture.  My wife paints watercolors on cold press Arches watercolor paper which has a very noticeable texture.  Therefore, she likes her giclées printed on a paper with a similar look and feel.  Epson Textured Fine Art Watercolor Paper 225gsm is pretty nice, but lately I've been using Premier Premium Artist Water Color Paper 310gsm with good results and I think it offers good bang-for-the buck.  Both of these papers have a nice texture and feel and they both look very much like genuine cold moulded watercolor paper.

If, on the other hand, your client won't handle the finished print because you plan to frame the prints immediately, then texture may be less important to you.

Perhaps I'm not picky enough, but I don't recall any paper (watercolor or photo) that I've tested over the past 2 or 3 years which proved to be a big disappointment with regards to image quality.  

Bob
Bob

Harry Carpenter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:54 am »

Thanks for the reply Bob.
With regards the recent paper you have used,
the Premier Premium Artist Water Color Paper 310gsm, who manufactures this as I cannot find it online.
Thankyou.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:14:38 pm »

the Premier Premium Artist Water Color Paper 310gsm, who manufactures this as I cannot find it online.
Thankyou.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Harry,

Here is their web site:  [a href=\"http://www.premierimagingproducts.com/]http://www.premierimagingproducts.com/[/url]
 they are located in the US and mainly sell through companies here and also a distirbutor in Canada and one location in Africa.  THere may be a company in the UK that can get it or one of the US companies but probably at a high ship cost.  I have used some of their other papers in the past on my Epsons and they worked well but I have not tried this paper.  With Bob's recommendation I will give it a try as it is about 50% of the HP textured fine art cost.  

I hope Bob reads this also because I want to know how he profiled for the HP Z3100.  Bob, did you use the standard profile, APS, canned from Premier or a custom to get your results?

Bob Thomas

Bob Walters

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:04:16 am »

Thankyou.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.premierimagingproducts.com/]http://www.premierimagingproducts.com/[/url]

It's their cold press textured alpha cellulose paper.  Supposed to be acid and lignin free.  They also claim it's WIR certified.  I buy mine from http://www.atlex.com/.

Premier also makes a range of 100% cotton fine art papers, photo papers, canvas, etc.

Bob
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up