Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: wait for canon 1Ds MIII or get leaf aptus 17  (Read 15950 times)

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
wait for canon 1Ds MIII or get leaf aptus 17
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 10:45:52 am »

The Rollei 600x or Sinar Hy6/Leaf AFi all sync up to 1/1000. The Hass H only goes up to 1/800, iirc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is pretty trivial since most powerpacks offer flash durations longer that 1/800 sec anyway. Usually typical "fashion" type reflectors are power hungry so strong packs are needed to get decent f/stop.

Anyway medium format seems to be what everybody wants. All back manufacturers are reporting extremely good sales. This is what my Phase One dealer told me a few days ago.

Patrik
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:59 am »

Hi Tania,

I have a contax 645 with a Phase One P25 back (a near full frame for 645 format) and it produces amazing images. It is a 22 mgpx unit as will be the new Canon III. The difference is the same as in film, the larger sensor, even with the same megapixel count, will give you a better image.
The attached image was taken with the Contax 80MM Phase One P25 at 400 ISO by available light.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know in theory that is the case, I know if I had a MF back I would want it to be the case. I have yet to see a finished file that proves or disproves this. With the latest 35mm DSLR's now having 14bit the gap (if any) could be narrower pixel for pixel. Anyone got a side by side Canon/MF sample?

Kevin.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 04:44:11 pm »

I think this is pretty trivial since most powerpacks offer flash durations longer that 1/800 sec anyway. Usually typical "fashion" type reflectors are power hungry so strong packs are needed to get decent f/stop.

Anyway medium format seems to be what everybody wants. All back manufacturers are reporting extremely good sales. This is what my Phase One dealer told me a few days ago.

Patrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wouldn't call the sync speeds on the leaf afi/Hy6/rollei and the h's trivial, as there are many cameras, mf and 35mm dslrs,  which will only properly sync with studio strobes at 1/125 and this can be an issue for outdoor fill.

stevecoleccs

• http://www.stevecole.com
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 05:12:26 pm »

Try out a Phase P30+ - I switch from Canon 1ds MKll to a Contax with a P30+ back.
I always shoot iso 400 or 800 with no problems of any kind. I will shoot at 1600iso
but will expect to apply a noise reduction software. Phase backs are also rock solid
as well as the Contax.

Your best bet is to demo a Phase & Leaf & make a decision from that.

As far a 35 vs MF.......the MF will have a higher quality image. One thing I found out
is my digital workflow ie:  color correction & retouching has been 75% less work
compaired to my Canon due to the higher quality files from the big MF lenses & simply
a higher quality digital back.

Pham Minh Son

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 03:08:05 am »

There are a few points I would like to add to the discussion here:

1. ISO has always been one of the main factor when folks speak regarding to digital sensor or DSLR. The higher ISO of DSLR may have lower signal/noise ratio compare to the MFDB or from one DSLR brand versus another brand such as Nikon versus Canon. However, often enough no one will speak about the higher ISO colors and texture. I find that I like the rich colors and the texture (less plastic) of the MFDB at high ISO much better than I would like the Canon file; even the higher ISO of the Leica M8 looks nicer than the Canon file IMHO. The Phase One P+ series backs are extremely good at high ISO. Folks claimed that the ISO 800 is very nice and I concurred to their claims but in addition, I find the ISO 1600 on the P30+ to be very good as well. Here is an example of the P30+/Contax 645 + Hasselbald Planar T* 2.0/110 FE at F2.0 handheld at night with no flash and processed with Capture One default setting and no sharpening applied (see image). In addition, ISO noise may be attenuted significantly if the exposure is properly set.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Ad...07ISO1600F2.jpg

2. Dynamic range (already spoken) especially with the new improvement from the Phase One P+ series (leaving the mechanism out here) and gain may be important in certain applications and post processing.

3. Optics is an essential topics and one must identify the lens that works best for one's own application. Like DSLR and MFDB comparison,  the optics for 35 mm versus the medium format system is also different in terms of depth of field, bokeh, resolution, and spatial compression. IMHO I prefer the medium format image circle more due to the characteristics of the above mentioned. Furthermore, different brand within the same image circle optics offers different characteristics.

4. Speed is also important for certain application but we see now the Phase One P+ series and Leaf Aptus S series are becoming more than adequate to do fashion works.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:23:07 am by Pham Minh Son »

Snook

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 09:48:45 am »

I am about to purchase a P30+ or Refurbished P30.
Where can I get an honest answer as to is there a big enough difference between the two.
I have read in a coupl of post that there is not that much difference between the two.
Can anybody confirm this is right or wrong.
I am about to make the move and would be dissappointed if I wasted the money on a + series.
I unfortunetly cannot try out ANY back where I live and have to make my decision soley on reviews or forums.
Thanks for any help in my purchasing decision
Snook

Camdavidson

• http://www.camerondavidson.com
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 10:48:40 am »

I am about to purchase a P30+ or Refurbished P30.
Where can I get an honest answer as to is there a big enough difference between the two.
I have read in a coupl of post that there is not that much difference between the two.
Can anybody confirm this is right or wrong.
I am about to make the move and would be dissappointed if I wasted the money on a + series.
I unfortunetly cannot try out ANY back where I live and have to make my decision soley on reviews or forums.
Thanks for any help in my purchasing decision
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Talk to the good folks at Capture Integration in Atlanta.  Either Chris or Dave.  They are super people - honest, reliable and a very strong Phase dealer.

[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]http://www.captureintegration.com[/url]

Snook

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 12:49:31 pm »

I was e-mailed by several people so now I am pretty clear as to what I want.
Now just have to work out the best price & Service provider
Anybody have a P25 or P30 for sale?
Just had to throw that in
Thanks a lot
Snook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up