Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P21 or 54s users  (Read 5031 times)

billy

P21 or 54s users
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:19:27 pm »

any info on your experience while working w/ these backs is welcomed. speed, quality, price, software, etc.

thanks in advance

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
P21 or 54s users
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:54 am »

I personally shoot with the Leaf Aptus 65 back. I started out with the Aptus 17, but then upgraded. The Aptus 75 is a nicer back, but the price range put it out of reach for me...

In the studio, I use it on a Sinar P2 camera with the Rollie Lens Controller. My studio work mainly consists of environmental room scenes that depict furniture. In the field, I put the back on a Mamiya 645AFD camera. A very nice setup. I also have a Cambo Wide DS for landscape and architectural work.

What I like about the Leaf is the image quality, ability to run both tethered or not, the ability to use standard CF cards, and of course the image preview screen on the back itself. I've used the Sinar 54H a great deal in the studio, but I prefer the leaf (although the Sinar produces better exposures beyond 2 seconds as it's CCD cooling is better). I've also use the Imacon back, but I have to say that I wasn't terribly impressed with the software.

I would certainly take a look at Leaf and also the Phase. They have great software to go with it. You're best bet would be to rent a couple of different backs and see what you like. In my mind, having a good software package to support the back is almost important as the back  itself. Good image quality is nice, but if the workflow suffers, it may not be worth it.

Dave

awofinden

P21 or 54s users
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:59:23 am »

Thats funny, I have owned both of those (only those but both) and used them with my mamiya. If you need to go super wide then the p21 might not be a good idea, though mamiya does a 35mm and 28mm wide angle which is plenty wide for me. Basically though the P21 is a far better back, I think the 54s only went up to iso 100. Had much worse morey, color wasn't as good, was really slow. Software was a pig. It was a little unreliable.The P21 just works, and works well, it is slightly lower resolution but if theres anything I've worked out about digital it's the fact that small resolution differences make no difference worth talking about.

yaya

P21 or 54s users
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:35:44 am »

If "54s" refers to Aptus 54S then since it has only started shipping recently, I'm not sure you will find an awful lot of people that are already using it.
However there are several Aptus 22 users here that can share their experiences. The Aptus 54S offers more speed and unlimited bursts which are both essential for fashion work.

There was a test done by Running Pixels in LA (Erik Hillard is also a regular poster here on LL) which you can find in this thread

Good luck!!!

Yair

samuel_js

P21 or 54s users
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:56:52 pm »

Hi, I have the P21 and find it a beautiful photographic tool. It's fast and the color is oustanding. Here are a few samples right out of the camera, very light adjustments in photoshop for the web jpgs. I took this pictures yesterday.
Phase One P21 with Hasselblad H2. The lens was a 210mm handheld:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:57:54 pm by samuel_js »

canmiya

• beyond stills
P21 or 54s users
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:47:52 pm »

Thats funny, I have owned both of those (only those but both) and used them with my mamiya. If you need to go super wide then the p21 might not be a good idea, though mamiya does a 35mm and 28mm wide angle which is plenty wide for me. Basically though the P21 is a far better back, I think the 54s only went up to iso 100. Had much worse morey, color wasn't as good, was really slow. Software was a pig. It was a little unreliable.The P21 just works, and works well, it is slightly lower resolution but if theres anything I've worked out about digital it's the fact that small resolution differences make no difference worth talking about.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the 54s has only recently started shipping...i shoot with the aptus 22.  the iso range on the Aptus 22 and the 54s is actually from 25 to 400.  the files at 25 are simply stunning, and moire has not been nearly as large a problem as i had thought it was going to be. the files at iso 50 and 100 are excellent, and 200 and 400 are usable. i also find the color fidelity excellent, particularly where skin tones are involved.  if i remember correctly, the phase equivalent product to the aptus 22/54s is actually the p25/25+. In terms of speed the 54s is faster than the 22 at right under .9 frames per second vs. 1.2 for the 22.  i think only the p21+ may be slightly faster than the 54s...when i was researching and testing backs, i really don't remember the p21 being that much faster than the aptus 22.

Esben

• captureforce.com
P21 or 54s users
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 11:47:39 am »

We have just received our Aptus 54S, and I can confirm it's fast.

We haven't ended our testing yet, but in our first test we managed to get 75 frames in 60 seconds, tethered to a Macbook Pro.
We will follow with tests that include Mac Tower and Compact Flash cards.

We would ultimately like to test our 54S against the new Canon 1Ds III. If anybody in NYC has access to this camera please give us a call.

Sincerely,
Esben

Captureforce
Digital Tech NYC // LA
Captureforce
Pages: [1]   Go Up