Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making JPEGs in LR  (Read 2731 times)

marcgoldring

Making JPEGs in LR
« on: September 11, 2007, 09:06:15 pm »

I see how to make jpgs as exports and how to make galleries. But I need to do something different. I need to make jpegs of a specific dimension (720x480 px) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Seems silly to edit in PS just to make 'em... Any ideas?

Marc

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Making JPEGs in LR
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:27:25 pm »

In File Export you can "constrain maximum size"  since the originals are (I assume) larger than 720x480 that should work?

Richowens

Making JPEGs in LR
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:29:53 pm »

In the export dialogue check the constrain maximum size box. Input your maximum size in both directions, choose pixels in the unit dropdown and export. I use the same in both directions as this will cover both portrait and landscape orientations.

Rich

dilip

Making JPEGs in LR
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:25 pm »

I see how to make jpgs as exports and how to make galleries. But I need to do something different. I need to make jpegs of a specific dimension (720x480 px) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Seems silly to edit in PS just to make 'em... Any ideas?

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The advice above may only give you part of what you were looking for.  If you need EXACTLY 720x480, you first have to crop the image to the correct aspect ratio. I would suggest creating a custom crop and applying it to each image individually so that you get what you want in terms of framing.

Then do the export as others have indicated, with the specification of a max dimension.

Without cropping, you'll get one of the dimensions as you specified, but you won't get it exactly the way that you want.

marcgoldring

Making JPEGs in LR
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 04:20:47 pm »

Thanks everyone!! I didn't notice the option of constraining the dimensions - sounds like something out of Dr. Who... That will solve the problem!

Cheers,

Marco

larsrc

• http://
Making JPEGs in LR
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:32:47 am »

Thanks everyone!! I didn't notice the option of constraining the dimensions - sounds like something out of Dr. Who... That will solve the problem!

Cheers,

Marco
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should be aware that LR only does input sharpening, which might not be what you want to end up with -- it's independent of the output resolution (AFAIK).  I use a little script around ImageMagick that takes TIFFs and resize + sharpen + make sure they're below a certain size, if needed.

-Lars
Pages: [1]   Go Up