Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: G9  (Read 13630 times)

picnic

G9
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 10:26:20 am »

Nope, in fact its worse.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't have the G7 so I'm just repeating opinions of those that had both and most seem to think its better--as far as being centered.  Mine is centered at WA up until about 3/4 of the zoom so until about 100mm or so if I shoot at an angle.  However, if I hold it parallel to the plane of the subject, its correct.  I don't know or understand the technical reasons for this, but it seems related to the focal length and angle of view.

Diane

madmanchan

• Web
G9
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 12:34:14 pm »

Eric Chan

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
G9
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

The updated Canon Raw converter included in the bundled software CD is the key to reducing the noise of the higher iso G9 images. The feature "adaptive noise reduction" does a fantastic job and should not be overlooked. Since the converter is optimized for the G9, the files can be saved as 16bit Tiffs and then opened in your favorite image processor.
Gerald J Skrocki

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
G9
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 07:24:27 am »

The updated Canon Raw converter included in the bundled software CD is the key to reducing the noise of the higher iso G9 images. The feature "adaptive noise reduction" does a fantastic job and should not be overlooked. Since the converter is optimized for the G9, the files can be saved as 16bit Tiffs and then opened in your favorite image processor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which piece of software includes the adaptive noise reduction? I don't see this in the zoom browser.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:47:06 am by soboyle »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
G9
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 08:17:46 am »

G9 Raw conversion with SilkyPix (from DNG)

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1426990157&size=o

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
G9
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 09:34:25 am »

G9 Raw conversion with SilkyPix (from DNG)

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1426990157&size=o

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks good, what was the ISO?

picnic

G9
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 09:40:17 am »

Which piece of software includes the adaptive noise reduction? I don't see this in the zoom browser.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have to open the RAW files by edit in ZB, select a RAW image or all of them, then choose 'process RAW files' which will open RIT.  At the bottom of the sliders on the right side you will find 'adaptive noise control'.  

I just did a comparison (ISO800) of the RIT (which did a good job on ISO400--but RIT lacks the things I like for working with RAW) and conversion in ACR 4.2 plus a one click edit in Noiseware Pro--and NW was much better at ISO800.  The file was quite usable and this was a very low available light shot in a room with very dark walls.  Granted, you have to buy NWPro (which I haven't yet--I don't normally use NR software since I shoot with a 5D but in days of the D30/60/10D I used Neat Image) and I would only think this was important if you plan on doing a lot of higher ISO work.

ACRs NR didn't compare favorably to either in these high noise images.

Diane
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 10:00:16 am by picnic »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
G9
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 02:23:33 pm »

Looks good, what was the ISO?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

80 ISO.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

autgard

• http://
G9
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 09:22:45 am »

I have a question about the G9 and external flash.  My question comes from experience with the G3 and Canon flashes.

With the G3 set for manual exposure, a Canon external flash also becomes completely manual -- that is, no ETTL flash control when the camera is set on manual exposure.  The flash power can be adjusted from the camera, or with some flashes, on the flash.

Also, the G3 has a lot of "shutter lag" when used with external flash.  This seems to happen even if the G3 is set for manual exposure and manual focus.  The well known "half button press" helps quite a bit but should not be necessary when all controls are set on manual.

Does the G9 have the same operational characteristics?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Since there's no answers on this on the G9, I would like to share my experiences on my G7 and external flash. I normally use the Metz 28
[a href=\"http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/mecablitz_28_AF-3_digital.226.html]http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/me...igital.226.html[/url]
for carrying along. It has the full ETTL circuitry that works with Canon cameras, and is small enough to be an easy carryalong thing. Needs to adjusted 1 EV down to give nice exposures, but when I do, its quite OK for a compact.
I have also used my EX 580 on the G7, and except for beeing way to big to handle on the small camera, also works well with the G7, with ETTL performance being OK.

Shutter lag:
There is shutter lag in the G7 when operating with flash, both with external and internal flash. I have not noticed any difference between the 3 different flash units, (internal/Metz/Canon), but the lag is there, and it is long enough to be really annoying. The G7 is, without flash, reasonably fast for a compact cam, but flahs ops is really slow.
If anyone have different experiences with the G9 please let me know

Anders

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
G9
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »

I thought I would add a real world night shot from the G9, I often shoot at night, so this photo will let you see what you can expect from the G9 after dark hand held at iso 800, 1/5 second, IS on, f/3.2. I processed in Camera raw but no further processing, no sharpening in Camera raw.

http://www.oboylephoto.com/g9/IMG_0177.jpg

With some processing in noise ninja I end up with a very decent and printable shot considering the conditions it was shot.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
G9
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 10:08:11 am »

I have a question about the G9 and external flash.  My question comes from experience with the G3 and Canon flashes.

With the G3 set for manual exposure, a Canon external flash also becomes completely manual -- that is, no ETTL flash control when the camera is set on manual exposure.  The flash power can be adjusted from the camera, or with some flashes, on the flash.

Also, the G3 has a lot of "shutter lag" when used with external flash.  This seems to happen even if the G3 is set for manual exposure and manual focus.  The well known "half button press" helps quite a bit but should not be necessary when all controls are set on manual.

Does the G9 have the same operational characteristics?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Flash and the Canon G9 set to manual exposure:
With the Canon Speedlite 580EX II, max flash sync is 1/250 sec.
In manual mode (flash & camera) output can be adjusted from the camera screen or the flash screen.
When the flash is set to ETTL and camera to manual, it will fire manually but flash output can be adjusted from the camera display.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:10:08 am by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up