Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40D and mirror lock up  (Read 2764 times)

tgutgu

40D and mirror lock up
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:06:25 pm »

Hi,

As always, in his small first impressions review on this site, Michael Reichmann stated and criticized that the 40D still does not feature a dedicated mirror lock up button (the direct print button could serve very well for this, if it would be configurable).

While Michael's critics are well justified, I just want to point out (something, which many of you might already know) that the issue is alleviated to a great extent in my view by the fact that you can store virtually any custom function as a custom camera configuration (there are three places C1, C2, C3 on the main dial).

I've set up my C1 to RAW, Av-Mode, Mirror lock up, Auto-ISO, beep off, and 2s self-timer, which will be the most common setup for me, in case I need mirror lock up. Because mirror lock up is mostly used in static, "tripod conditions", the combination of this sets will satisfy 90% of the conditions, I need mirror lock up.

Switch the main dial to C1 is nearly as instant as a dedicated button and you can set the other required adjustments in the same single step, which makes this solution even more effective as a dedicated button.

Any parameter of the custom configuration can be altered additionally, without loosing the rest of the custom configuration.

Therefore, I would regard the mirror lockup issue as partly (mainly for me) solved, so that Michael, can lighten his venting a little, should the 40D successor not feature the mirror lock up button as well   .

Kind regards

Thomas Gülden
Munich, Germany

stever

40D and mirror lock up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:21:32 pm »

i agree, the 3 custom presets are more useful than the single preset on the 5D which i find always has the custom preset from the last shoot, not what i need now

with 3 presets you can leave them alone and then have a decent chance of remembering which is which

don't understand what took Canon so long to do this - much more useful than scene modes cluttering the dial

but they could still drop the stupid print button
Pages: [1]   Go Up