Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom: top tips to make it better  (Read 4905 times)

seamus finn

Lightroom: top tips to make it better
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:26:53 pm »

Sorry, on mature reflection after hastily starting this topic, I realised it's probably too broad a canvas for a single thread so with regret,  here goes -    delete.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:14:52 pm by seamus finn »

The View

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:51:57 am »

Sorry, on mature reflection after hastily starting this topic, I realised it's probably too broad a canvas for a single thread so with regret,  here goes -    delete.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, don't let modesty keep you from sharing good ideas you had about maximizing the Lightroom performance!
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

seamus finn

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:54:24 am »

OK.My idea was to try to get a thread going here which would draw together some of the more practical tips available on Luminous Landscape and Adobe Lightroom User to User Forum. Some invaluable 'discoveries' have been made since v 1.1 shipped, but these are scattered all over the place and are usually unearthed by accident rather than by design. Many of them relate to the speed issue and how to squeeze the maximum performance out of LR pending the next update which, according to Jeff Shewe on this site, will be soon.

As a start, here are some of the tips I've managed to pick up, thanks to very helpful replies to my queries from a variety of uses on Luminous Landscape. Bear in mind I use a PC.  Also bear in mind that not everybody is a computer techie - many users just want to drive the beast without fiddling about under the hood and making things worse.

So, as a start, untick the XMP box in preferences for a smoother performance, and then consider these:

Richowens wrote:   
What made the most difference for me was to change XP to performance rather than appearance. You can do this by going to Control Panel>System>Advanced tab and check to favor programs. This will revert XP to the Classic windows appearance but will allow programs to run much smoother. Myself, I prefer smooth to pretty and gee whiz any day.  
I was getting crashes and messages that "Lightroom must close" constantly, often with MSCVR80.dll errors. This stopped that behavior and along with defragging my hard drives has LR running very smoothly.
richowens.smugmug.com

Then, Joh.Murray came to the rescue with this.
I would recommend that you let Windows determine pagefile size - *but* after defragging (which automatically loads startup drivers, etc at the head of the disk) be sure to defrag your pagefile:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...PageDefrag.mspx
Also, take a hard look at the number processes running on your system, mine which also hosts a Visual Studio Programming environment, including a local copy of SQL totals 36. A handy utility that will identify *everything* that loads at startup is AutoRuns:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
Handy for eliminating Quicktime, Adobe Reader, Real Player, Java Update, Quickbooks, etc etc etc from loading at startup.
imagesbymurray.com

And John Murray again:
The Autoruns webpage describes how to filter the displayed list to "non-microsoft" entries only - I'd recommend you start there, uncheck *only* process you are sure about. Anything above HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services is worth a look:
The PageDefrag util is pretty easy - just run it *after* you defrag your hard drive:
Start Menu | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter

wolfnowl came up with this idea:
Assuming you're running XP, try this. Close all running programs. Do the three finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and a window will pop up that says 'Windows Task Manager'. The second tab from the left says 'Processes'. Click on that tab. At the bottom left it will tell you how many processes are running. If it's more than about 50 you probably have some unnecessary processes running. These processes CAN include anything from necessary Windows processes to file loaders and even (possibly) to viruses and trojans. Now there are ways to turn off or even delete those processes, but it's not something you can do without knowing what you're doing or you risk turning your computer into a large paperweight.

Joh.Murray in response to a user's query on defrag:
   Windows defrag ignores both the pagefile and the registry hive files.
You *can* move, or even turn the Pagefile off, then defrag. What you end up with is the pagefile physically located after all (currently defragged) system data; nothing better or worse than just leaving it alone. Putting the pagfile on another spindle (spindle meaning another physical drive, *not* another partition on the same disk) makes great sense only if that drive is *not* sharing controller bandwidth with the system drive. In other words two drives sharing the same SATA hub, or IDE cable will show no performance increase by moving the pagefile to that second drive.
If you *really* want to get anal - you can image a windows installation, reserving enough space for the swap file at the head of the drive - problem is - what happens if you change the amount of system memory? When XP was in beta, MS had a utility called bootvis.exe that analyzed system boot time including driver loading etc. I found the location of the swap file on the system drive made little or no difference, as long as the file itself is contiguous.
Getting back to the subject here - having sufficient RAM is orders of magnitudes more desirable than having your system begin to page chunks of memory out to a drive. If your system is paging, it will make little or no difference where your swap file is - it's gonna be s-l-o-w!!!
Finally - I'm *not* talking at *all* about Photoshop scratch files here - thats another subject entirely.
Pagedefrag runs outside of the Windows Kernel, like checkdisk.

gunnar1 found one of the tips helpful:
   Rich's suggestion to revert to Windows Classic worked wonders for me. It eliminated virtually all of the issues that I was having with Lightroom. I still intend on upgrading the amount of RAM from 2G to 4G though.

This is the kind of thing I have in mind - anybody who has a tip THAT WORKS feel free to chip in here.

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:49:41 am »

The defrag tips are really just general windows house keeping rather than lightroom tips but in keeping with that the best thing I ever did for my windows box was get Diskeeper. It does all the defrag things above without the hassle. But the best thing is that it defrags continuously on the fly in the background. My system never slows down even if I'm copying, duplicating or overwriting gigs and gigs of data. Before I got this software I would have to defrag at least once a week or windows would grind to a halt.

Specific Lightroom tip:

Have image files, LR database and LR program files all on separate hard drives. Grid view responsiveness increased noticeably for me with this arrangement. If you only have two hard drives put the LR database on a different drive to your images.

Best = C: windows, E: LR database, F: image files
Better = C: windows + LR database, E: images files

Cheers

Tim

seamus finn

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 06:00:42 am »

Good tip, Tim.

Here's something I discovered over the week-end (see separate post here). After installing LR1.2, I couldn't send pics to CS3 for further editing. Cutting a long story short, the reason was that the external hard drive I was using, although by no means full, was sufficiently full to prevent LR from using it. So, if you get a mesage saying LR. can't perform the edit, check the remaining space on the external drive first before doing anything else. It's better to leave about 15% space free - this also allows defrag.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:29:41 am »

One of the best tips I saw recently was on Lightroom News and posted by Martin Evening about doing B&W conversions by sliding the HSL sliders to -100 saturation rather than using the convert to gray mode. Check it out, really big difference in noise!

http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-...te-conversions/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:30:04 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

picnic

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:57:54 am »

One of the best tips I saw recently was on Lightroom News and posted by Martin Evening about doing B&W conversions by sliding the HSL sliders to -100 saturation rather than using the convert to gray mode. Check it out, really big difference in noise!

http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-...te-conversions/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think I actually saw Andrew's recommendation somewhere else and went to the link and learned it.  Its a great tip and the way I'm now doing b/w.  I also made a preset to set my saturation sliders all to -100 so I don't have to do it manually--which sets up the technique.  The difference in noise in skies in particular as you adjust is terrific--much less with this technique.

Diane

seamus finn

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »

On the subject of HSL, desaturate all the colours back to -100, select a point in the picture with the targeted adjustment tool, watch the colours in the Saturation panel, one (or more) will light up, drag it back to the right and watch that colour being re-introduced into the picture. It' a great technique, very simple and would take a very long time in PS.

Look for a tutorial on Lightroom Killer Tips http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2007/vi...turated-effect/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:37:17 pm by seamus finn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up