Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL  (Read 51274 times)

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Harman Inkjet Gloss FB AL
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2007, 04:54:08 pm »

I very occasionally get fine longitudinal scratches on a 9800 with lustre type media. The drying time is a good idea if you can afford the time. Scatches are only seen by looking against very low ange light. They disappear with a spray of Premier Art Print Sheild. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Harman goes. It would also be interesting to compare Harman with the Baryta based Ilford product, made in the same factory. It could be the same with packing for amateurs.
And, of course Hahnemuhle will have their answer. it will be interesting to see if Harman's alumina coatings will provide an edge in ink retention and sharpness. Then it may get back to printer accuracy and settings . I guess looking for that ultimate print has always been a tricky job..
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

adiallo

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2007, 09:14:38 pm »

It would also be interesting to compare Harman with the Baryta based Ilford product, made in the same factory. It could be the same with packing for amateurs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The relationship between Harman and Ilford is complicated, to say the least. When I posed the question to Ilford about their paper's  relationship with Harman, I was told that the Galerie Gold Silk "has nothing to do with the Harman media". Apparently they had an agreement in the past where coatings from Harman went on Ilford media, but no longer. Both companies are using alumina and of course a baryta base. As of now Ilford is only releasing a gloss finish baryta, no matte.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2007, 09:36:43 pm »

It would also be interesting to compare Harman with the Baryta based Ilford product, made in the same factory. It could be the same with packing for amateurs. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have it on good authority that they are made in different factories in different countries.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Brian Gilkes

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2007, 05:45:56 pm »

I have it on good authority that they are made in different factories in different countries.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141672\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the correction , Scott.
I was told Harman used an Ilford coating factory and just assumed it was the same one.
Who makes the paper , who coats it and with what , seems to be one of the great secrets of 21C photography. There are a lot less mills, coating plants and formulations than the number of market products would suggest. It would be an interesting exercise to publish a table of origins -if anyone could sleuth it out!
Cheers,
Brian,

PS If anyone takes this one up, I would be interested where the raw material comes from too....

NigelPlayer

• http://www.ilfordphoto.com
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:23 am »

Thanks for the correction , Scott.
I was told Harman used an Ilford coating factory and just assumed it was the same one.
Who makes the paper , who coats it and with what , seems to be one of the great secrets of 21C photography. There are a lot less mills, coating plants and formulations than the number of market products would suggest. It would be an interesting exercise to publish a table of origins -if anyone could sleuth it out!
Cheers,
Brian,

PS If anyone takes this one up, I would be interested where the raw material comes from too....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear all,

Firstly, let me declare an interest: I am Technical Services Manager for HARMAN technology Ltd, the company which produces the HARMAN PHOTO range of inkjet papers, and the ILFORD PHOTO range of Monochrome photographic materials.

I can confirm that the HARMAN PHOTO inkjet papers are produced only in our factory here in the UK, alongside our ILFORD Monochrome photo products which have been manufactured here for many years and continue as a successful product line for us.

Our HARMAN PHOTO inkjet papers are coated on to the same photo base as our famous Monochrome Photographic papers such as ILFORD MULTIGRADE IV FB fibre and, in fact, they are coated on the very same coating machine, using our own formulations, developed and produced here in our factory.

The ILFORD range of colour photographic products, including ‘ILFORD Galerie’ inkjet media, is not manufactured or marketed by HARMAN technology, and remains a separate business operated by ILFORD Imaging based in Switzerland, a part of the Japanese OJI Paper Group.

I hope this is of interest

Nigel Player
Nigel Player
Marketing Manager - Applica

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2007, 09:07:02 am »

Dear all,

The ILFORD range of colour photographic products, including ‘ILFORD Galerie’ inkjet media, is not manufactured or marketed by HARMAN technology, and remains a separate business operated by ILFORD Imaging based in Switzerland, a part of the Japanese OJI Paper Group.
I hope this is of interest

Nigel Player
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very interesting. Thanks for the enlightenment. And , bravo on giving us a fabulous product we've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
Kindest regards,
Neil Snape.

Brian Gilkes

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2007, 07:22:45 pm »

Nigel,
Thanks indeed for supplying us with that information.
The fine art community has been looking for this sort of product for a long time.
I'm sure everyone wishes you and your colleagues well
Thanks
Brian Gilkes
Pharos Editions

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2007, 07:20:52 am »

Nigel,

I'm sure that you understand the warmth and affection that many of us have with your brand.

I greatly enjoyed pulling out the sheets of Harman FB Al from the trial pack and reading instructions on the sheet, printed with the same type and technical style as the traditional monochrome products.

Here's hoping that your new product becomes a world beater and keeps the UK in the business of manufacturing photographic media for decades to come.

I'm baffled about one thing though... why can't we buy A3 in packs of 50 sheets? It gets very expensive in terms of the 15 sheet packs. I've just set up my new portfolio for printing on A3 sheets...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:25:24 am by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

BriPriUK

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2007, 07:45:29 am »

I got a free sample pack of 3 A4 sheets with last Friday's British Journal of Photography (in the UK)

Brian Price

ricgal

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2007, 04:47:23 pm »

Please could somone tell me what settings to use with Harman FB Gloss on a z3100.  I can not use GE with the FA Pearl setting and calibration fails if I use a standard gloss setting,
Thanks in advance
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

jhein

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2007, 10:39:59 pm »

Please could somone tell me what settings to use with Harman FB Gloss on a z3100.  I can not use GE with the FA Pearl setting and calibration fails if I use a standard gloss setting,
Thanks in advance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm...
I created a new custom paper type using the Fine Art Pearl with GE on and Best (600dpi).  My Z3100 had no problem calibrating.  I then generated my own profile using my hand held I1. (Since I am using sheet paper).  So far so good.

hope this helps
Jim

ricgal

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2007, 03:15:53 am »

Thanks Jim
GE is definetly shaded gray and off to off in the print settings custom dialogue if i use FA Pearl as the paper type.  Any thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers
Ric
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

NigelPlayer

• http://www.ilfordphoto.com
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2007, 10:38:25 am »

Nigel,

I'm sure that you understand the warmth and affection that many of us have with your brand.

I greatly enjoyed pulling out the sheets of Harman FB Al from the trial pack and reading instructions on the sheet, printed with the same type and technical style as the traditional monochrome products.

Here's hoping that your new product becomes a world beater and keeps the UK in the business of manufacturing photographic media for decades to come.

I'm baffled about one thing though... why can't we buy A3 in packs of 50 sheets? It gets very expensive in terms of the 15 sheet packs. I've just set up my new portfolio for printing on A3 sheets...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your kind words. This product is going very well for us, and we love the feedback we are getting. Photography is what we are about.

In answer to your question about the 50 sheet packs, I have passed this on to my colleageus who manage our item range. If we see enough demand for a particular pack size, we will respond positively!

Best Regards

Nigel Player
Nigel Player
Marketing Manager - Applica

neil snape

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:14 pm »

Thanks for your kind words. This product is going very well for us, and we love the feedback we are getting. Photography is what we are about.

In answer to your question about the 50 sheet packs, I have passed this on to my colleageus who manage our item range. If we see enough demand for a particular pack size, we will respond positively!

Best Regards

Nigel Player
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At the Paris photo show , I just looked at all the new media both Ilford and Harmon (of what they had). I brought home some matte samples, but will await the FA AL sample next week. Nice people , and nice products. Can't wait to try the Baryta.

neil snape

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2007, 09:06:19 am »

I just received charts on Harmon FA AL . It has a nice aspect, of course as photographic as it gets. There is a draw back however. As with some other papers I've seen over the years, it has sort of bubbles or lifted areas dispersed in the coating. It's not the printer, it's the media. So albeit the nice surface you see these artifacts are unacceptable no matter the quality of printing. Could it be early samples, early production? Sure.
I'll have to see more samples. At the Paris expo, I did see marks on the surface telling me this media is fragile. The first rolls of Pro Satin HP had defects on the surface on 36" only if I remember right. They are no longer any defects on Pro Satin.
I think I saw some defects too on roll printed Ilford Gold Silk. Let's wait and see how it prints on the Z or 9180.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2007, 04:36:53 pm »

There is a draw back however. As with some other papers I've seen over the years, it has sort of bubbles or lifted areas dispersed in the coating. It's not the printer, it's the media. So albeit the nice surface you see these artifacts are unacceptable no matter the quality of printing. Could it be early samples, early production? Sure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neil,

I've been only testing the 8.5" x 11" sample size but have so far not seen any surface defects in the paper.

Paul

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2007, 10:04:26 am »

Could someone comment on the differences between the Harman Gloss FB AL and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl?  From the canned profiles for each paper, it looks like they have a very similar color response with the Harman allowing deeper blacks. Also, is the Harman considerably more "glossy" than the Photo Rag Pearl? I have a sample pack coming of the Harman,  but I would love to hear from someone who has used both papers.

KevinD

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2007, 01:50:06 pm »

Booksmart has a Harman Baryta Profile for the Canon IPF5000 now.

http://www.booksmartstudio.com/store/index...Path=72_217_225

$4.00 unless you buy paper from them, in which case it is free.

I will give it a try this afternoon, assuming the rest of my life doesn't get in the way.

Kevin

Could someone comment on the differences between the Harman Gloss FB AL and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl?  From the canned profiles for each paper, it looks like they have a very similar color response with the Harman allowing deeper blacks. Also, is the Harman considerably more "glossy" than the Photo Rag Pearl? I have a sample pack coming of the Harman,  but I would love to hear from someone who has used both papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2007, 11:04:57 am »

Are we close to a list of FB papers, Baryta (Barite) or Titanium Dioxide, matte, satin, gloss, and the way they behave on several printers ?  Not an invitation for someone to try out all the papers available but a summary of collective experience could be made.

The manufacturers so far mentioned are correct ? > Hahnemuhle, Crane, Harman, Ilford, Sihl, Innova, Oriental, PremierArt, Moab, Ink Press, Lyson, ....

Without doubt some will be rebranded and it would be nice to know which ones.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fuji(Hunt) has an FB paper too and Epson announces one today:

[a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/exhibition-fiber.shtml]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ion-fiber.shtml[/url]

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

alba63

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2007, 06:33:27 pm »

Could someone comment on the differences between the Harman Gloss FB AL and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl?  From the canned profiles for each paper, it looks like they have a very similar color response with the Harman allowing deeper blacks.

Hi there, I am not sure if my current conclusion is exact enough and my english may lack the necessary precision in vocabulary, but I have tried a few sheets of Harman gloss Al plus 1 or 2 sheets of PhotoRag Pearl.

Comparing 2 papers is best when printing exactly the same file, which is not what I did, I preferred to profit of the few samples I had and printed different photos.

My impressions are as follows:

1. Harman gloss FB Al may be the best paper I have seen for inkjet - I have a new Epson 3800 here. It has a nice smooth and regular surface and a gloss which is not disturbing too much because the more regular surface avoids the "sprinkling" reflexions I get from the other "Baryt" clones I have tried over the last weeks. The blacks of the Harman are very deep, and the prints have a kind of clarity and sharpness that sets it apart from the other papers. Not by much, but visible.
What comes at a real surprise is that it smells like darkroom paper. Seems to be the Al coating. Although I have not nearly as much darkroom experience than many others here I definately like the smell...

2. Hahne Photorag pearl has a less regular surface the blacks are not as deep, it is less glossy than Harman, but the shagreened (hope the word is right) surface makes it more disturbing in my eyes. White is also warmer on the Hahne. I don't find it overly impressive.

3 . From all the other similar papers (seems that there are more every day being released, like Epsons brand new from yesterday's announcment) I tried and rate the others in the following order:
- Monoprint Rochester plus (95% of the Harman quality, probably only available in the german webshop monochrom.de)
- Innova Ultrasmooth gloss
- Sihl Baryt 285 (295?) - nice paper, but very (!) warm
- Permajet Royal 325g

I also received the Hahnemühle fineart Baryta and I am surprised but I find it clearly less attractive (surface again) than the Harman. To add something nice about Hahnemühle (after all I am German :-) - I really like their fineart matte papers.

Hope this helps

Bernie
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up