Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to Provence  (Read 7539 times)

BradSmith

Trip to Provence
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »

I'll be traveling to Provence and staying for two weeks 30 km SE of Avignon.  I'll have a car.   I'm sure I'll get around a lot, but I'd appreciate any special locations that you think I definitely shouldn't miss.
thanks
Brad

Geoff Samuels

• http://web.me.com/geoffsamuels
Trip to Provence
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 06:15:58 pm »

I'll be traveling to Provence and staying for two weeks 30 km SE of Avignon.  I'll have a car.   I'm sure I'll get around a lot, but I'd appreciate any special locations that you think I definitely shouldn't miss.
thanks
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it's been twenty years since I've been there (and before I was trying to do
decent photography) but you may want to check out the village of Les Baux or
perhaps the Roman aquaduct at Pont Du Gard.
Geoff Samuels
"World Domination Through

Stuarte

• http://
Trip to Provence
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 06:31:59 pm »

We vacation down there most years, at the Chateau de Boisson near St Ambroix.  

Little towns with beautiful perspectives are Uzes (near the Pont du Gard) which has a lovely main square, Lussan (perched on a hill-top), Roque sur Ceze overlooking the water-sculpted cascades of the Ceze river and Goudargues nearby.  Out of town are the gorges of the rivers Chassezac and Ardeche.

It's all quieter and a little less populated than Provence to the east of the Rhone (Aix etc.) but very attractive.  Certainly worth a day out or more.

Further south from Avignon Aigues-Mortes is an interesting medieval town in the marshes of the Camargues - fortified and laid out in a rectangular grid.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:55:26 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

alangubbay

Trip to Provence
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 04:51:20 am »

I'll be traveling to Provence and staying for two weeks 30 km SE of Avignon.  I'll have a car.   I'm sure I'll get around a lot, but I'd appreciate any special locations that you think I definitely shouldn't miss.
thanks
Brad

The beautiful hilltop village of GORDES is a must.   As you drive up the hill you will see a great view of the hill opposite on the right side of the road, about 1 km from the village. There is a gap in the wall and you can walk through it onto the rocks and fight your way through the photographers. This position is best in the evening.  You can work out other positions for early morning if you wish - I can never get up in time!

Abbeye de Senanque is another good site, although best when the lavender fields are in bloom.

The ochre hilltop village of Rousillon should also provide some good opportunities for you.

Have a good trip.

Alan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Trip to Provence
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:46 pm »

The city of Aix-en-Provence of course is not to be missed.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
Trip to Provence
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:07:18 pm »

thanks
Brad
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alan gave mentioned some good places. I went to Gordes and Roussillion and got some good images. Have a look at this article about my trip: [a href=\"http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/artprovence.shtml]Provence[/url]

I am sure you'll have a great time, I will certainly go back there.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Trip to Provence
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:12:41 am »

I'll be traveling to Provence and staying for two weeks 30 km SE of Avignon. 
Sorry to dig up the thread if it's too late...

First, the Alpilles are a must, it's the limestone ridge between Saint Remy, Mouries and Les Baux... Les Baux itself is nice, but try out the Caisses de Jean-Jean (a climbing site) near Mouries, or the tiny Eygalieres chapel, and you won't be deceived either... If you're not there in the summer (too hot, and forbidden due to fire hazard), the best is to hike the ridge itself. There are good trails (the GR6 among others), but don't forget one or two bottles or water.
OT note : If you're more inclined towards colored drinks, try the Mas Sainte Berthe in les Baux - it's not the only vineyard in the country but they have some good stuff (especially in the whites).

On the Luberon side, the Carrieres d'Ocre of Roussillon are already mentioned, you could also go to the "Colorado provencal" near Rustrel, a few miles east (yes, the people in southern France are known for a slight tendancy towards exaggeration, but even if it's not exactly as big as the Grand Canyon it's a nice place).
Gordes is in a really lovely location, but is a bit constricted by tourism, and unless there has been a nuclear war just before your visit (or it is freezing and there is 80mph of mistral, which has the same cosmetic effect), you may well appreciate some other nearby villages as Murs, Fontaine de Vaucluse, Saumane de Vaucluse...

Hope this helps!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up