Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Advice) on faster RAID storage.. Sata vs Fibre vs  (Read 2637 times)

phildog33

(Advice) on faster RAID storage.. Sata vs Fibre vs
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:59:20 am »

Please offer any advice you can, on a good attached storage solution for large P45 files and 1Ds shoots.

Im currently using a 5-bay Thecus N5200Pro NAS, and enjoy the connectivity to the box form anywhere in the world.. but the speed is slow.. Files are sluggish, to process through and make selects from.. Takes 2-3 seconds for an image to pop up in preview and ~1 hour+ for 130image shoot to process in C1.

I currently just have the Thecus box for main storage and a couple externals on a shelf for double backup.

Would the bump up to Sata(esata) or Fibre be such a big difference.. If it cuts the processing time in half, then its worth it.. and will pay for itself in time saved.???

Seems that most of you guys use the NAS as the backup box and somehow manage the copying/backing up to it.. from a local attached Fibre or Sata faster box... Any insight would be helpful as my new Thecus box (2 months old) is not fast enough to use with MFDB and high res 35mm files.

Thanks gusy
-phillip
p.s. Any opinion on the mac pro raid card and going that route? or waiting for the new mac pros, and ZFS, time machine, etc.

phildog33

(Advice) on faster RAID storage.. Sata vs Fibre vs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 01:12:10 am »

How does that software process automate itself...

Say you change a file from 2005 in a very remote, deeply layered folder... Is there a software that can check for changes and just uploads those to the NAS??? Right now im just making full backups... August 2007 (full) Sept 2007 (full) .. on the third month I delete the oldest... I always worry about the month in between that I dont have time to manually backup... My working storage is def. RAID 5, but still need a backup of this raid box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up