Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NY, VT, ME, Montreal, Quebec in late Sep early Oct  (Read 3387 times)

kinserfr

• http://www.clarityphotography.com
NY, VT, ME, Montreal, Quebec in late Sep early Oct
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:56:53 pm »

I am planning a trip to upper NY, VT, ME and possibly Montreal / Quebec area in late September probably more like early October. I will have approx. six days to take in the sights, all by car. If you have a list of some of the most scenic areas to visit I would appreciate it. I can travel through all of these areas or I can concentrate on one or two.

I hear that Montreal is fabulous. I have never been there. If possible, I would like to drive back down the NE seaboard. I drove along the coast from Acadia NP to Portland this past Spring and enjoyed it very much.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and time.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:45:58 pm »

If your mind is attuned t

martin archer-shee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:15 am »

Hi

You are asking a lot for one week. sort of like 7 countries in 4 days. A taste but only barely. All those areas have a lot to offer. However, as you have never been to Montreal, I think that would be best (used to live there). Fly in(saves the travel time), see the city on foot/public transport (no parking problems). Rent a car for a day or two and go north into the Laurentians( about an hour ) to enjoy the fall colours. Back to the airport and home.
I think you will be more relaxed and have a great trip.

Good traveling

Martin

kinserfr

• http://www.clarityphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:32:25 pm »

Hi

You are asking a lot for one week. sort of like 7 countries in 4 days. A taste but only barely. All those areas have a lot to offer. However, as you have never been to Montreal, I think that would be best (used to live there). Fly in(saves the travel time), see the city on foot/public transport (no parking problems). Rent a car for a day or two and go north into the Laurentians( about an hour ) to enjoy the fall colours. Back to the airport and home.
I think you will be more relaxed and have a great trip.

Good traveling

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right, that's a lot to do in a small amout of time. I should have phrased it as: I would like to visit selected locations in any one of these states, what's the best locations to concentrate on? I think I could do Montreal, Acadia and drive back down the coast to Boston and have some good opportunities in 7 - 9 days...we'll see. So you think the Montreal area is definitely a good landscape location? Will the foliage be past peak in early Oct?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:33:08 pm by kinserfr »

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 06:06:55 pm »

I drove up the Hudson on the way home from NYC the first week of September.  It was a breathtaking drive. Unfortunately the best portion was the last (from Lake Lucerne northwards) and I only got to Lake Lucerne at sunset and had time for only a few shots over Lac George in twilight.

If you have time take 9N north out of Saratoga Springs in the late Evening drive/shoot until sunset and stay the night somewhere along Lac George or Lac Champlain. Get up bright and early and catch dawn over the lake and then take 87 north towards Montreal. The route is winding and beautiful and there are plenty of access points to the water if you drive down the roads leading to the shoreline (not driveways, just the access roads).

The southern approach to Montreal is also quite impressive and could be an alternative morning location if you stayed in Plattsburg or somewhere just the other side of the border. Montreal in general is a beautiful city and has a lot of photographic potential. But, if you had your heart set on wilder landscapes the Laurentians are stunning just about anytime of year.

The drive from Montreal to Quebec is either pastoral but potentially boring along 20 on the south shore or very hard to find good vistas/stopping points along Hwy. 40 on the north shore. I have heard good things about hugging the rive between Montreal and Quebec on the south side -- but, it is a slower drive and I have never taken it.

I hope that helps your choices a bit.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 07:51:10 pm »

I have heard good things about hugging the rive between Montreal and Quebec on the south side -- but, it is a slower drive and I have never taken it.

Definitely worth it in my opinion.  It's been a number of years since I was out that way but I would say that by October you'll be cutting the late side of the trees turning colour so you may not have much of a show there.  There are a number of picnic site type places along that secondary highway where you can park and walk down to the river.  If you're lucky you'll land there about the same time as many thousand snow geese, who use the St. Lawrence and area as a staging area before continuing farther south.  There are also several small picturesque towns along that highway.  Keep in mind that when you get away from Montreal and Quebec city you won't find a lot of people who speak English, but if you make any effort at all at French with the local people, they'll meet you more than half way.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:29:26 pm »

hmm . . . In all my travels through Quebec I've only been one or two places where the locals preferred my fairly competent French over their trying to speak English with me! The first few times I planned on going to Quebec I had looked forward to brushing up my French skills and never was given the chance. The only exceptions being in Rimouski and in the Gaspé.
Pages: [1]   Go Up