Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z2100 and usb problems  (Read 4327 times)

pulley

z2100 and usb problems
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:38:10 pm »

I have a z2100 and have it attached to the computer via usb. Everything has been working fine up until now. The problem is that when I plug in the usb, the computer says that it doesn't recognize the hardware / faulty. I plugged the usb in different locations and it still says the same thing. Anyone have any idea before I call tech?

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:18 pm »

I have a z2100 and have it attached to the computer via usb. Everything has been working fine up until now. The problem is that when I plug in the usb, the computer says that it doesn't recognize the hardware / faulty. I plugged the usb in different locations and it still says the same thing. Anyone have any idea before I call tech?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried different USB cable? Also I would highly recommend connecting the printer via ethernet if you can swing that
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:42 pm »

Have you tried different USB cable? Also I would highly recommend connecting the printer via ethernet if you can swing that
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have the Z3100 connected with USB and no problems as pulley has mentioned except when printing it seems to go into a "hunt" mode every once in awhile where the printer seems to be jogging the head assembly back and forth for 10 or 15 sec then continues on with no problems seen on the print.  You mention to connect with ethernet link.  What are the advantages or problems avoided with that connection?

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:53:53 pm »

I have the Z3100 connected with USB and no problems as pulley has mentioned except when printing it seems to go into a "hunt" mode every once in awhile where the printer seems to be jogging the head assembly back and forth for 10 or 15 sec then continues on with no problems seen on the print.  You mention to connect with ethernet link.  What are the advantages or problems avoided with that connection?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have not connected the printer via USB so I have no experience as far as what it's capabilities are, but when connected via ethernet you have access to the printers web server and troubleshooting capabilities (I am not sure that you can do that via USB)  The biggest plus is that you can run a much longer cable if you are using ethernet vs USB and if you are like me USB ports start filling up pretty quick.  Also you are able to print from any computer and not tied down to the settings for the printer if you are sharing that port.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:54:36 pm by mballent »
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

robertDthomas

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:30 pm »

I have not connected the printer via USB so I have no experience as far as what it's capabilities are, but when connected via ethernet you have access to the printers web server and troubleshooting capabilities (I am not sure that you can do that via USB)  The biggest plus is that you can run a much longer cable if you are using ethernet vs USB and if you are like me USB ports start filling up pretty quick.  Also you are able to print from any computer and not tied down to the settings for the printer if you are sharing that port.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks I think I'll give it a try as I am probably at the limit for USB cable or beyond with a 25 foot cable.

rdonson

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:58:03 pm »

USB can get iffy beyond 15 ft for driving something like the Z.
Regards,
Ron

robertDthomas

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:08:45 am »

USB can get iffy beyond 15 ft for driving something like the Z.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137797\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are right I read that somewhere but I had the cable for my previous Epson 4000 that the Z replaces so I thought I would try it and it seems to work except for the "hunting" mode it drops into periodically while making a print.  I will have to get a ethernet cable and try that way.

ltphoto

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 11:39:28 am »

I am moving my Z3100 and need to change from USB to ethernet due to distance. Has anyone else made the switch? Did you have to reinstall the driver to change the connection?

Roy

pulley

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:56:07 am »

I finally got the printer working. Not sure how though. I tried a new shorter usb, but that didn't help.  I shut off the printer (main switch) and downloaded new firmware and driver. Started the printer and now everything works.

rdonson

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 10:57:52 am »

I am moving my Z3100 and need to change from USB to ethernet due to distance. Has anyone else made the switch? Did you have to reinstall the driver to change the connection?

Roy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137896\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Roy, its been a while since I made the switch from USB to ethernet and I don't recall what I had to do.  I'm sure though that if it had been a hassle I'd remember it.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 10:58:37 am »

I finally got the printer working. Not sure how though. I tried a new shorter usb, but that didn't help.  I shut off the printer (main switch) and downloaded new firmware and driver. Started the printer and now everything works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great news.  I'm glad that everything is working now.
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

z2100 and usb problems
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 05:54:33 pm »

Roy, its been a while since I made the switch from USB to ethernet and I don't recall what I had to do.  I'm sure though that if it had been a hassle I'd remember it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I'll be making the switch in a couple of days, so if it turns out to be a hassle I will post my experience. Here's hoping you have a good memory.  

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up