Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else here ordered the Canon G9 yet?  (Read 26688 times)

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
Anyone else here ordered the Canon G9 yet?
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:17:25 pm »

My G9 is ordered and should be on the way next week I'm told. Hopefully my SD cards arrive around the same time as this is the first digicam I've ever owned that doesn't use CF cards. I'm looking forward to shooting with it.

Did anyone else here order one as well?

picnic

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:21:53 pm »

My G9 is ordered and should be on the way next week I'm told. Hopefully my SD cards arrive around the same time as this is the first digicam I've ever owned that doesn't use CF cards. I'm looking forward to shooting with it.

Did anyone else here order one as well?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just bought one today.  I've fiddled around for years whether to buy a small cam or not but none tempted me too much--esp. as they kept leaving RAW off.  My first decent digicam was the G1 ( after years with film) but I soon moved to SLRs with the Oly E10 and then the D30 and 60, so I didn't spend much time with the G's---and gave it to my mother--and I recently replaced that for her with the A630.

I've been looking at the Leica/Panasonic because of the wider angle, RAW, easily accessed settings without menu, but never got my hands on one and they really do seem to exhibit more noise above the lowest ISO.  The G9 may or may not be 'the' small camera for me--I'm still not sure I will use it much, but I've looked at others images with their G7 who also shoot with 5D and 1DsMkII and thought it might be a useful camera for me in certain situations.  I do know I could sell it quickly if its not for me LOL--everywhere its difficult to find one right now--though they will be widely available soon I would think.  I called and reserved this one last night at my 'local' (3 hour round trip) camera store and they held it until this morning for me.  Theirs had just come in, (which I expected since I knew they had shipped late this past week and they were availble on the west coast this past weekend), but had not been put out yet when I called.

I like the bit of heft to mine, the LCD size is amazing, but my battery is charging so I haven't gotten a chance to turn it on yet. I bought a 4GB card for it since I will be shooting RAW, so in just a bit I'll have some indication if I like shooting with it.  

The bad part is--though it has RAW, the only software available to process is Canon's Zoombrowser (I initially thought DPP would--but found out it has never been used for anything but DSLRs) and RIT, so until Adobe upgrades their ACR4.1 and LR, I'll be a bit stuck--and I don't expect upgrades for a number of months considering that a number of the new DSLRs won't ship until later this Fall.

Diane

Digiteyesed

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:56 pm »

The bad part is--though it has RAW, the only software available to process is Canon's Zoombrowser (I initially thought DPP would--but found out it has never been used for anything but DSLRs) and RIT, so until Adobe upgrades their ACR4.1 and LR, I'll be a bit stuck--and I don't expect upgrades for a number of months considering that a number of the new DSLRs won't ship until later this Fall.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ooooh, that's nasty. I hate Zoombrowser. It's going to be a long couple of months until the next ACR comes out. :-(

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 03:25:56 pm »

How's the viewfinder - accuracy of coverage at various zooms?  I've never been a fan of the EVFs.  I really like my Sony R1, but I think there are some advantages of this over the Sony (size being another one).

BreezeBrowser might be a quicker "plan B" in the RAW department...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:28:04 pm by Tim Gray »

marcgoldring

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:37:56 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray,Sep 5 2007, 07:25 PM
How's the viewfinder - accuracy of coverage at various zooms?  I've never been a fan of the EVFs.

I bought a G7 some few months ago and just today found a buyer for it. It's a cute camera, actually quite capable, but I've learned I'm a one-camera guy and the D70 is way better. The EVF was awful. I had to buy an Xtenda-view to cover the LCD to see clearly and stabilize the camera. Hope the one on the G9 is better!!

Marco

GregW

• http://
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 05:34:42 pm »

It's important to clarify that the G7 viewfinder and I presume the G9's is optical and not electronic.  It's one of the plus points it has over most modern digi cams.

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 05:51:56 pm »

Diane wrote:
The bad part is--though it has RAW, the only software available to process is Canon's Zoombrowser
What I would do in that situation is bare minimal processing in Zoom Browser to recover highlights, adjust WB, or whatever it does acceptably; then save as 16-bit PSD; then open that in LightRoom to finish your adjustments. I don't think many raw converters accept non-raw files, but LR does. (Of course, if ACR accepts non-raw then use that instead.) If you don't own LR, this may be a good time for that free 30 day trial.
I would be very interested in hearing how much DR this camera handles in raw. The sample JPEGs on dpreview.com looked like a measly 6 stops.

GregW

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:03:43 pm »

Diane Once you've spent a little time with the G9 I'd love to hear your comments.  After procrastinating about a digicam for some time I gave in after seeing Michael's review.  Judged in context (I'm normally using a D2Xs and or D200) it does a superb job:

- Light and small, yet big enough that you can hold it firmly.
- Excellent out of the box .jpg's
- Makes good quality A3 prints (Epson 3800)
- Long battery life
- Great IS zoom lens
- Easy to use manual controls
- Impressive video mode
- DOF with such a small sensor
- Live histogram

The only things I don't like:

- No battery meter
- Not particularly wide at the wide end (Nature of the beast unfortunately)
- No RAW files

The only thing I am really unhappy with is the viewfinder.  It's optical so that's good, but it's rather inaccurate.  The first few times I used it I ended up with more sky than I'd seen in the viewfinder  Now for any critical exposures I double check with the rear screen.

Pending shooting speed and RAW buffering, I'll pick up a G9.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:05:30 pm by GregW »

Digiteyesed

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:03:47 pm »

What I would do in that situation is bare minimal processing in Zoom Browser to recover highlights, adjust WB, or whatever it does acceptably; then save as 16-bit PSD; then open that in LightRoom to finish your adjustments. I don't think many raw converters accept non-raw files, but LR does. (Of course, if ACR accepts non-raw then use that instead.) If you don't own LR, this may be a good time for that free 30 day trial.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried LR -- couldn't stand it. I've been using Photoshop since 1997 and LR makes me feel like I'm going backwards. I like my layers, masks, and blend modes, damn it! Whatever comes out of the G9 goes into straight into PS and nuthin' else. :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:04:05 pm by Digiteyesed »

GregW

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23:50 pm »

I tried LR -- couldn't stand it. I've been using Photoshop since 1997 and LR makes me feel like I'm going backwards. I like my layers, masks, and blend modes, damn it! Whatever comes out of the G9 goes into straight into PS and nuthin' else. :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might be missing the point.  LR is designed for global non-destructive edits, where as Photoshop is a pixel editor.  Most people using LR will also be using Photoshop.

Digiteyesed

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 08:55:51 pm »

You might be missing the point.  LR is designed for global non-destructive edits, where as Photoshop is a pixel editor.  Most people using LR will also be using Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My point is that it doesn't do anything for me that PS wasn't already doing to my satisfaction so LR becomes an unnecessary and expensive element in my workflow. Besides, I always save my PSD files with the original (after dust spotting) as the bottom layer so it's not like I can't revert when I need to.

picnic

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 09:06:05 pm »

Diane wrote:

I would be very interested in hearing how much DR this camera handles in raw. The sample JPEGs on dpreview.com looked like a measly 6 stops.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly what I did--except you can't save as a psd from Zoombrowser so I saved as a tiff (your choices are jpeg, 8 or 16 bit tiff) and opened it in LR.  Yes, ACR accepts non-RAW also same as LR.

As someone above said, Breezebrowser will probably be the first to upgrade for the G9--Chris has always been on top of it--and since he uses Canon info (SDK??) it can happen faster than other apps.  I haven't upgraded my BB in a long time, but that was the first 3rd party RC for the early Canon RAWs and then Yarc Plus by Michael Tapes as I remember.

Diane

picnic

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 09:09:48 pm »

Diane Once you've spent a little time with the G9 I'd love to hear your comments.  After procrastinating about a digicam for some time I gave in after seeing Michael's review.  Judged in context (I'm normally using a D2Xs and or D200) it does a superb job:

- Light and small, yet big enough that you can hold it firmly.
- Excellent out of the box .jpg's
- Makes good quality A3 prints (Epson 3800)
- Long battery life
- Great IS zoom lens
- Easy to use manual controls
- Impressive video mode
- DOF with such a small sensor
- Live histogram

The only things I don't like:

- No battery meter
- Not particularly wide at the wide end (Nature of the beast unfortunately)
- No RAW files

The only thing I am really unhappy with is the viewfinder.  It's optical so that's good, but it's rather inaccurate.  The first few times I used it I ended up with more sky than I'd seen in the viewfinder  Now for any critical exposures I double check with the rear screen.

Pending shooting speed and RAW buffering, I'll pick up a G9.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I remember reading, the VF is only 80%.  I had planned to use it more since I'm used to shooting with a 5D but the huge LCD that actually functions in daylight may make it moot.  There is RAW of course--but it may be a bit until we get something other than Zoombrowser.  Still--at least we know it will arrive.  I'm a wide end shooter too--considered the Leica/Panny, but they had other 'cons'.

Diane

picnic

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 09:14:10 pm »

You might be missing the point.  LR is designed for global non-destructive edits, where as Photoshop is a pixel editor.  Most people using LR will also be using Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I balked at LR too--even though I used the beta--mainly because at the time I was using Imatch, PS--and when PSCS3 came out I thought LR didn't hold anything for me.  Then watching the C2P they kept referring to LR so, since I own a copy (RSP licensee), I got myself up to speed and now its part of my workflow--hybrid that it is.  I edit, process in LR, do a roundtrip (very easy once I knew how) to PS for more editing and it stacks the edited version under the original RAW.  Sometimes I even do virtual copies and process differently in PS.  Just totally different things.  I originally didn't like the LR develop module, but since using, I prefer it to aCR 4.1 now.

Diane

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 07:24:20 am »

Hi
I have one on order, this will be our first point & shoot.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Digiteyesed

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:46 pm »

Well, I'm on back order. Sept 30 is the shipping date. Bloody hell!

picnic

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 12:14:31 am »

Well, I'm on back order. Sept 30 is the shipping date. Bloody hell!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For anyone looking for one, B & H has them in stock now--altho' you can't normally place an order on a weekend until Sunday.

Diane

Digiteyesed

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 10:31:21 am »

I'll probably just wait. I do all of my ordering through Camera Canada (cameracanada.com) as they've done a marvellous job of supporting me for the last four years. I like dealing with a merchant I know I can trust if a problem develops in something they've sold me. (Even if they are slow to get the new stuff occasionally!)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 01:34:25 pm »

bump.

So any comments from the folks who might have some hands on experience by now?

Anthony R

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 04:35:38 pm »

bump.

So any comments from the folks who might have some hands on experience by now?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's the nicest point and shoot out there. Pretty amazing for what it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up