Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else here ordered the Canon G9 yet?  (Read 26687 times)

picnic

Anyone else here ordered the Canon G9 yet?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 06:21:48 pm »

Diane,

I assume that the lens in your jpeg above is the lens that comes with the camera. Right?

It looks a bit different to the pics in this review...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/page2.asp

Just wondering! ;-)

Very tempted to buy one of these. I want something I can take when travelling and yet which might be good enough for stock shots - after upsizing. I hate travelling with SLRs.

D.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's actually the Lensmate adaptor--Canon makes one also but the Lensmate is metal and matches the G9 nicely and seems to be the adaptor of choice (and makes the camera very nice for handholding with 2 hands--my preference).  I had one years ago for my old G1--last small cam I've owned.  The retracting lens closes down completely--this stays on (bayonet mount).  I added a WA converter (though now I wonder if I will use it much--35mm for this camera is mostly okay--esp. since I generally shoot wide with the 5D--but I own it now LOL).  I also wanted to shoot some IR--owned the Hoya R72 that works with a step ring, so this allows me to add a filter.  
See this for Lensmate plus WA.
[a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/87099445.jpg]http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/87099445.jpg[/url]

My biggest nit is composing with the LCD.  Its by far the nicest I've seen on a camera--and reasonable in sunlight.  However--not good enough for me for careful composition and I just HATE using the LCD to shoot.  So--I've just bought the Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder.  There are actually a number of folks that have added it--the first I saw was a Leica shooter who has the older one--but a number have added them or the Voigtlander mini 28-35 finder.  I've also seen a Leica finder used, some Russian finders.  I hope that works better than the OVF--which is difficult to use (or nigh impossible) with the LM.  I also shoot it 'naked' LOL--and it fits nicely in my medium handbag or a pocket.  

Its not a DSLR--but I printed an 11 x 17 (native size not up or down rezzed so it was about 10 x 14.5 or so)--shot the same subject (here on the farm--nothing fancy but lots of detail) on tripod at lowest ISO, approx. same FL--with 5D and G9 (forgot I also used a Whibal for each camera).  I shot in RAW, did the best processing I could with each in LR, tweaked a bit more in PS (but no NR at all even in LR), used PKS for capture and output sharpening.  IF--you didn't have the 5D print beside the G9 print--and weren't totally anal about pixel peeping of a print---it was very pleasing.  Yes, the 5D of course had better DR (had I bracketed or done 2 RCs and merged manually of the G9 file it would do fine I think), the resolution/detail from the 5D was exceptional, but no one would sniff at the G9 shot--unless you are just really snobby about it.  I've seen really much worse prints from a decent lab from 35mm film.  Noise was a non-issue on the print quite truthfully.

More than you really wanted to know I"m sure LOL.

Diane

picnic

Anyone else here ordered the Canon G9 yet?
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »

What you can see on the front of Diane's camera is the extension tube that is required to be in place when you use the wide angle lens . I'm not sure why it is still affixed to the camera as the wide angle lens screws into the extension tube which is the affixed to the camera by a bayonet mount - it is, therefore, a lot quicker and easier to disconnect the wide angle lens/extension tube as a single package rather than unscrew the wide angle lens from the tube. Looking at the picture again though it appears that Diane has affixed a filter on the front of the tube - not tried that one personally but may be more practical than affixing a filter to the front of the G9 lens itself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AFAIK--it would be impossible to affix a filter to the G9 lens since it totally retracts.   I actually prefer shooting with the Lensmate since it makes it much more 'shooter friendly' for 2 handed shooting which is what I'm used to.  I sometimes carry it 'naked' but not always as I really like shooting with it on.  Notice I also have a baby Kirk L bracket LOL--now that makes it really lovely to handhold--more geography on the left since the LCD is so big.  I made the comment today I could have bought my 24 TSE on my 'wish list' instead of this and additional 'stuff' LOL.  But--it will serve a purpose for me that I've wanted for awhile.  I intend to shoot mostly mono (and I set the LCD for b/w though I"m shooting in RAW) including IR--and use it for hiking.  After years of lugging DSLR and gear on hikes not really planned for photography only, I decided that was crazy.  

BTW--I don't find taking off the Lensmate with WA on any faster than unscrewing from Lensmate--except I have to remove the filter (my decision) when I affix the WA.  I'm honestly not using the WA much--but am shooting more with the Lensmate on--much nicer unless I really need it to be pocketable and that's a simple twise to remove it.

Diane
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up