Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Has every ZD / ZD back owner given up  (Read 138727 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Has every ZD / ZD back owner given up
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 04:38:12 am »

Quentin, I am beginning to wonder if you really even have a ZD..:+}
Why don't post some images like I ask a while back please..
Thanks..
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the past I have done so - and right here on this board  

I'll rustle up a couple more shortly.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Henry Goh

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 10:38:34 am »

So can I conclude that the ZD back is the one with some purple blob issues and not as much on the ZD camera?

Henry

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2007, 01:05:41 am »

hi anders, just did your test (even though I knew the results before that). my old zd shows far more noise than your example. the only difference: yours shows wurmy shapes - mine shows more normale noise in smaler spots.

purely based on the sample you mailed me, i think the problem your are experience is that you dont give the sensor the amount of light it needs. the sensor (like most mf-sensors) screems out for lots of light. Never mind using iso 400:  I always expose for iso 25! and then you get clean shadows. i have seem this before on cameras like the sigma sd9 and the kodaks. if you want a camera for iso 400 (or underexposed iso 100) save yourself the money and get a canon.

otherwise: set it to iso 50, overexpose till the highlight-warning on the camera histogram blinks wildly. dont bother lookig at the camerameter (till last week, I didn´t even realise, I could meter with the ZD and old lenses). use the histogramm and expose to the right.
 and: experiment with different raw processors. for example: RD hadles noise different to the mamiya software or acr.

as for the wurmy-shapes: I had a sigma sd9 exchanged for the same thing. dont know, perhaps they droped some fluff on the sensor when the were puting it together. You might want to get it exchanged for a sensor that shows more fine graine noise. but than again my warning: if you start seen those things - you propably didnt get enough light onto the sensor.

perhaps I got it all wrong though.

stefan
p.s. about the purple wurms: are they always in the same position?
(if they are, that would point to a bad sensor)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Stefan,

Your reply is very interesting. Much kind thanks for taking a look at those samples and for doing that test. It would be really interesting if someone with a problem back did same test.

Reviewing the histograms from my test photos, there are two spikes not far from white and black limits, so the average metering worked rather good for that. I reran the test this morning to get one spike more towards the right limit and even exceeding it. It is difficult to say precise but if anything I would say shooting to far right made the problem issue worse, not better. It does not seem noise related, noise ware do not touch it.

Last night I got home at around sunset, a cloudy one with openings between clouds. I tested shooting towards right then also, with city view in partial shade and the sky. Seems around +1.0 on camera made best and cleanest. Thanks for advise. I recall I read that Michael Ezra even shoot by +1.5 or more outside. Same time I recall having read a review somewhere that with the ZD (or is my memory failing) one could expose like film rather for the dark, or is that complete wrong, or for certain circumstances?

You mentioned you shoot at ISO 25? My ZD starts from ISO 25. Any trick?

I have tried SilkyPix, CS3 with camera raw, Lightroom, Noise Ninja (I am on PC, so no RD). Of them I like the results and what I can do from SilkyPix best, also with regards to its NR.

Again, very much thanks for running the test, also for the other hints in your post.

Regards
Anders

Henry,

Perhaps the ZD camera at moment is more stable. If it wasn't for the issue I found I would for sure not worry. I really like the design and layout of controls of the ZD camera. I think controls are better than my D200 was, much more for what I feel comofortable with as a camera. The ZD camera is logic, it is simple to pick up if I leave it without shooting for awhile also. I think both Nikon and Canon could learn from Mamiya on this

I do wish the any issues were nonexistent, and instead that Mamiya was improving the noise performance. If both those happen, it is an amazing camera.

Regards
Anders

espressogeek

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2007, 02:33:52 pm »

I tried calling my mamiya rep and he didn't call me back. I am desperately serious about getting a MF back and I really want it to be the mamiya since my only other option is the p21. I would rather not get a crop sensor so the mamiya is best in class at the entry level price point. There are other reasons I want the p21, not the least of which is the C1 software, but I won't get into it here.

Since the ZD camera is not sold in the states I would get no warranty. That is a scary gamble at 10k. Since the back is sold here but appears to have some challenges for a few people that is also a scary proposition. This is a real shame and I hope that Mamiya sorts this quickly as I really want to give them my money ;-) .

samuel_js

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2007, 04:47:59 pm »

I tried calling my mamiya rep and he didn't call me back. I am desperately serious about getting a MF back and I really want it to be the mamiya since my only other option is the p21. I would rather not get a crop sensor so the mamiya is best in class at the entry level price point. There are other reasons I want the p21, not the least of which is the C1 software, but I won't get into it here.

Since the ZD camera is not sold in the states I would get no warranty. That is a scary gamble at 10k. Since the back is sold here but appears to have some challenges for a few people that is also a scary proposition. This is a real shame and I hope that Mamiya sorts this quickly as I really want to give them my money ;-) .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Mamiya has a cropped sensor too, and I wrong?   But bigger than the P21. I was in the same situation and got the P21. No regrets.

espressogeek

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2007, 05:23:34 pm »

The Mamiya has a cropped sensor too, and I wrong?   But bigger than the P21. I was in the same situation and got the P21. No regrets.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well its a 1.1x crop. Phase refers to that as full frame. The phase p21 is a 1.3x crop no? I guess with the 645afd system 1.3x isnt so bad since wide angle lenses are reasonable. If you were a V owner with a CFV back it gets pricey real fast trying to make up for the 1.5x crop. I still believe that the larger the sensor that happier I will be since I prefer the look the longer lenses gives.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 05:23:54 pm by espressogeek »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2007, 12:48:50 pm »

Well its a 1.1x crop. Phase refers to that as full frame. The phase p21 is a 1.3x crop no? I guess with the 645afd system 1.3x isnt so bad since wide angle lenses are reasonable. If you were a V owner with a CFV back it gets pricey real fast trying to make up for the 1.5x crop. I still believe that the larger the sensor that happier I will be since I prefer the look the longer lenses gives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will be posting some tests of a Phase One P25+ and a ZD in the next day or so.  I will be showing some long exposures and high ISOs.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.caputureintegration.com

espressogeek

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2007, 05:44:31 pm »

I will be posting some tests of a Phase One P25+ and a ZD in the next day or so.  I will be showing some long exposures and high ISOs.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.caputureintegration.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris, that would be interesting.  I would be interested in just seeing some nice studio snaps from the both of them. Long exposure and high iso are interesting but it is clear that phase has the upper hand in the long exposure category. I don't think this is something that mamiya ever marketed this back towards no?

clawery

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2007, 09:02:16 am »

Chris, that would be interesting.  I would be interested in just seeing some nice studio snaps from the both of them. Long exposure and high iso are interesting but it is clear that phase has the upper hand in the long exposure category. I don't think this is something that mamiya ever marketed this back towards no?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was working late last night, so we were not able to do the high ISO test.  I hope to be able to post them today/ tonight.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

clawery

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2007, 09:37:29 am »

I was working late last night, so we were not able to do the high ISO test.  I hope to be able to post them today/ tonight.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, but the attachment didn't upload. This test was shot with a Mamiya 645 AFD w/ 80mm lens,
mirror up and a cable release in tungsten lighting.  No software sharpening, noise reduction, color noise reduction was applied.  The ZD files were processed in CS3 ACR and the Phase One files were processed in Capture One.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2007, 03:10:28 pm »

Holy cats.  Thanks, Chris -- that's the most useful bit of information about the ZD that I've ever seen.
Now it is immediately obvious what the extra cost of the Phase backs gets you.

I know the ZD is capable of great shots, but you're showing where it falls down in extremis.  
Thanks so much for the time you spent making that happen.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:13:37 pm by SeanPuckett »

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

no suprises here for me. I (would) never use my ZD on anything longer than 4-6 seconds (10 sec. max). using the right software helps. especialy with the "salt-grain" (looks like salt grains sprinkled onto the pic) the hot-pixel slider of Raw developer helps o lot.

my advice for anybody interessted in the zd: if you dont have enough light, dont use the ZD.  iso 50-100 and exposure times shorter than 5 seconds will get you nice files. if you are forced to use less light, one better sticks with the 5D (or even better the old 1ds, or phase..).

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Henry Goh

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2007, 04:09:00 am »

no suprises here for me. I (would) never use my ZD on anything longer than 4-6 seconds (10 sec. max). using the right software helps. especialy with the "salt-grain" (looks like salt grains sprinkled onto the pic) the hot-pixel slider of Raw developer helps o lot.

my advice for anybody interessted in the zd: if you dont have enough light, dont use the ZD.  iso 50-100 and exposure times shorter than 5 seconds will get you nice files. if you are forced to use less light, one better sticks with the 5D (or even better the old 1ds, or phase..).

stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think finally I have found an honest opinion on the ZD.  Thank you.

clawery

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2007, 04:56:52 am »

Holy cats.  Thanks, Chris -- that's the most useful bit of information about the ZD that I've ever seen.
Now it is immediately obvious what the extra cost of the Phase backs gets you.

I know the ZD is capable of great shots, but you're showing where it falls down in extremis. 
Thanks so much for the time you spent making that happen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sean,

You are welcome.  I've got to thank my coworker, Doug Peterson, for testing.  He spent several hours to pull this together.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2007, 06:01:10 am »

Sorry, but the attachment didn't upload. This test was shot with a Mamiya 645 AFD w/ 80mm lens,
mirror up and a cable release in tungsten lighting.  No software sharpening, noise reduction, color noise reduction was applied.  The ZD files were processed in CS3 ACR and the Phase One files were processed in Capture One.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I have known that the Phase back is one of the best if not the best back for long exposure. I have also known that the ZD has been improved to about 60 seconds max, maybe not in this case. However @ $7000.00 USD for the ZD I still feel it is a very good price. I shot with the ZD camera the other day on a mono pod at about 2 sec in the city @ iso 100 with no problems.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2007, 08:10:52 am »

mirror up and a cable release in tungsten lighting.  No software sharpening, noise reduction, color noise reduction was applied.  The ZD files were processed in CS3 ACR and the Phase One files were processed in Capture One.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,

Much thanks for taking time to make the samples to the Phase. Now... since this thread is on the ZD, what if we turn it around and follow Stefan Marquardt's advise above on the ZD:

"my advice for anybody interessted in the zd: if you dont have enough light, dont use the ZD. iso 50-100 and exposure times shorter than 5 seconds will get you nice files"

In that condition, what is the advantage of the Phase 25, 25+, P35+? Any chance you can post some samples and prices?

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:12:17 am by Anders_HK »

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 08:52:50 am »

Just got a mail from Mamiya NL.
The problem was found in the CCD, so the purple artifacts should be gone from now on.

Can't test this myself anymore but I trust that it's the truth of course.

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2007, 09:21:07 am »

I have also known that the ZD has been improved to about 60 seconds max,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi denis, what do you mean with "has been improved"?
has there been a software update for the ZD?

thanks stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

doncody

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2007, 09:27:45 am »

Just got a mail from Mamiya NL.
The problem was found in the CCD, so the purple artifacts should be gone from now on.

Can't test this myself anymore but I trust that it's the truth of course.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frank,

Thanks for the update.  When they said "from now on" I don't suppose they gave you a back number?

Best,
Don

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2007, 09:41:41 am »

hi denis, what do you mean with "has been improved"?
has there been a software update for the ZD?

thanks stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
In comparison to my ZD camera there has been a firmware upgrade. My ZD is from March 2006. Longer exposure has been improved & it seems the iso is better than my camera.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up