Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crane Museo Silver Rag 300gsm Paper  (Read 5195 times)

dgillilan

Crane Museo Silver Rag 300gsm Paper
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:27 pm »

Dear Printing Friends,
I have run completely out of semi glossy and luster papers and am considering what paper to purchase to replenish my stock. Would someone here have experience with the Crane Museo Silver Rag 300 gsm paper, and would this paper thickness do OK in the Epson R1800 glossy printer? Is the surface of the paper somewhat pebbled like the Epson lustre paper? Is this Crane paper more similar to a semi-gloss? I had trouble telling my lustre prints from my semi-gloss prints(both Epson papers). I am looking for a photo black ink paper. I want to know if others do recommend this paper as being excellent quality and finish.

Thank you for any help, Debra

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:53:21 pm »

Hi Debra, I use this paper all the time for fine art printing buth color and monotone, along with hahnemuhle Photo Rag pearl.  These are my two standard papers and both are quite heavy weight but not so much so that you can't use them with your 1800 (tho you might have to give them a bit of a push through the paper feed--I don't know).  Eleanor

Dear Printing Friends,
I have run completely out of semi glossy and luster papers and am considering what paper to purchase to replenish my stock. Would someone here have experience with the Crane Museo Silver Rag 300 gsm paper, and would this paper thickness do OK in the Epson R1800 glossy printer? Is the surface of the paper somewhat pebbled like the Epson lustre paper? Is this Crane paper more similar to a semi-gloss? I had trouble telling my lustre prints from my semi-gloss prints(both Epson papers). I am looking for a photo black ink paper. I want to know if others do recommend this paper as being excellent quality and finish.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:18:48 pm »

Dear Printing Friends,

Debra,
I have not used the Crane paper but have seen samples, but have tried the Innova and Hahnemuhle papers that are similar. They are all fine papers, but be prepared for sticker shock! Of the three my preference is the Innova F-Print Gloss Semi Matte. A very smooth surface(semi-matte) that uses the photo black ink. It also is a 300gsm paper. but is about $80 for 11x17/25 sheets.  The Crane and Hahn papers that are similar were about the same price.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:24:07 pm »

Dear Printing Friends,

It depends on what you like. Crane's silver rag has a very good D-max with photo black ink, and it's a nice heavy paper. The surface texture is less obtrusive than Epson Luster's 'pebble' look, but still visible in reflections. The paper base color is quite warm. This may work for you if you're printing warm-toned black & white prints, or color prints with lots of autumn colors. On the other hand, highlights will look dingy and dull if you put a print next to one made on a brighter white paper like Epson luster or Hahnemuhle fine art pearl. I like to split-tone my black & white prints, with slightly warm shadows and slightly cool highlights. Silver rag doesn't work at all for me as a result, because my highlights go muddy green. Hahnemuhle fine art pearl has a very similar fairly unobtrusive surface texture, a somewhat weaker D-max but a much brighter paper base.  It works a lot better for cool-toned black & white prints.
As always, your mileage may vary.

dgillilan

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:06:59 pm »

Thank you Eleanor, Keith and Geoff, your experiences and recommendations are what I wanted, I will now also consider the Hahn. Fine Art & Photo Rag Pearl and the Innova paper also suggested,
Thank you, Debra    
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:08:09 pm by dgillilan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up